Best Toddler carrier - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I am in need of help in deciding what would be the best carrier for me and my toddler? I have tried the mei tei and it is not very comfortable to me or my son. He feels squished in it and always begs to be let down. Also, I have difficulty in getting him up there by myself. I always require help with the mei tei. I used to use a ring sling with him but he is too heavy to carry just on my hip now for long periods of time and I am not quite sure if I could do a back carry with the ring sling. Also, my son loves the framed backpack I have but sometimes it is just too bulky to use in some places and I would prefer something that I could just pack in the diaper bag or carry along with me.

So, can any of you recommend some carriers that I could start looking at for my toddler and I? I really want to continue to babywear but I need something that is comfortable too and that my son feels comfortable in also.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (13) and David (2)
#2 of 12 Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Ergo, though i can't get my babe in there on the my back alone, lots of people do it...

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#3 of 12 Old 09-20-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...I have tried the Ergo too and I have the same problem as you in getting my son in there by myself. Thanks for your reply.

Kristy
#4 of 12 Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Can you try putting him on your hip first? Then you can slide him around?

Wife to awesome Army guy, mommy to DD1 lady.gif 7/11/07 and bellycast.gif one on the way this October!  Planning for a  hbac.gif

#5 of 12 Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried that yet. That is a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

Kristy
#6 of 12 Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 AM

I would definitely recommend a soft structured carrier (Ergo, Beco, Patapum, etc.). It takes practice getting your child up on your back, but at your ds' age he ought to be able to cooperate.

I wear my 2.5 year old, and here's how I do it:

1) Fasten waist belt of Ergo snugly, push down on my hips. Leave carrier hanging down my back, with shoulder straps loosened.

2) Put dd on my right hip. Bending over, grab her left thigh with my left hand and pull her around to my back while ducking her under my right arm.

3) Still bent over, hold on to her with one hand while grabbing a shoulder strap with the other; then alternate hands to get the second shoulder strap on.

4) Stand up and do a little bounce to make sure she's snugly seated, then clip chest clip and tighten shoulder straps.

Practice over a bed and in front of a mirror -- you'll have it in no time. When you're out and about, use a car window or store window to check yourself if you need to.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 12 Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 AM

They have a video demo on Ergo's site that shows how to do the "baby slide"
You can also do fail-proof couch scooch and put your LO on the carrier (works with any type of ssc) on the couch or chair (or even on the seat of the car, if need be), sit down in front of LO, slide back so they're against your back, pull the shoulder straps up over your shoulders (making sure, o' course, that they're legs are over the waist straps, under the shoulder buckles) and, voila! Stand up, do the bounce to get LO down in there and you're set.

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

#8 of 12 Old 09-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy555 View Post
Yeah...I have tried the Ergo too and I have the same problem as you in getting my son in there by myself. Thanks for your reply.

Kristy
But I think Ergo is great, maybe you should choose some other styles. My sister has a baby that is one year old. Last month I gave a Ergo Baby Carrier for her child as a present. She told me that it's comfortable for both her and her baby, it also can hold her child in a safe, comfortable posture, while also protecting her back. It's also highly versatile. She really likes it very much. I think it's suitable for people like you, too. you can try it
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=60459
#9 of 12 Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to try all the tips and ideas all of you suggested. I probably just gave up early so I will try again and see what happens this time. I wish there was a babywearing group near me where I could get some hands on advice. Again, thank you all very much for your help.

Kristy
SAHM to Rebecca (13) and David (2)
#10 of 12 Old 09-21-2007, 01:34 PM

Just to be the black sheep . . . :

My wrap is great for wearing my 3 year old. I've never tried a structured back carrier though.

I use a short wrap. An EllaRoo rebozo (don't remember the exact length, sorry) and do a rucksack with her all the time. The short wrap folds up easy in a bag, or I just tie it around my waist. Because she's three, she'll want to get down more often than a baby, so I really like how easy it is to whip that short wrap on and off. That's why I stopped using the long one (mostly).

Until a few months ago we were still nursing and the short wrap worked for that too. I did a hip cross carry which can put her on my hip, or my front (t2t) depending on how I situate her. That one you can leave tied on and pop the toddler in and out of as requested. Great for our trip to the aquarium. This carry is a one-shoulder carry, but since she doesn't stay in it for too long, it hasn't been a problem.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#11 of 12 Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 AM

I favor SSCs too.
But what about a Podegi Wide? That seems less daunting to put a baby on the back via the couch as a crutch. This woman I know only uses Podegi because she wouldn't dare of shifting her baby around her back, she said.
But I do back carry daily w/my ds by myself. It's the same way pp mentioned. It seems scary at first so perhaps you can practice with a doll or stuffed animal. But once you get the hang of it, you'll get a light bulb moment.
#12 of 12 Old 09-23-2007, 01:59 PM

When I use my Ergo, if ds isn't interested in the hip scoot, I will put him up there like superman, like I'm putting him on my back like putting swining a cape on my back. I am thrn able to grab the straps ans click them on. I'm sure there is a video for this at the babywearer.

Another option for you might be the scootababy. It has a structured waist like an Ergo but is a hip carrier. I've heard really great things about it.

http://www.scootababy.com/

Mom to three great boys Michael (Sept/01), Carter (Nov/05) and Reid (March/10).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page