Mothering Forum banner

Infant insert for Ergo?

560 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  e.naomisandoval 
#1 ·
I am due any minute. We have an ergo, given to us by our dept at work. Do we really need the infant insert? Can we make do with a folded receiving blanket?

Will our ring sling work better for the earlier days?

I am also considering posting about recommendations for a third carrier - possibly a pouch. Something REALLY easy for the newborn stage.

#2 ·
My LO is 2 1/2 mos. We don't use the infant insert. I think you'll be fine with a receiving blanket. The early days we used a sling, although I suck at figuring it out. I got it after she was 5 wks old and she doesn't like it too much. It sounds like you have a good plan. My DD is long, but skinny. Here's what I do with the Ergo.... She likes to be upright, so I let one leg dangle out the side and I fold the other in, like she's sitting indian style. Sometimes I do both legs like that. Then I just pull it super tight to make sure she doesn't slip out. You could do that and put a rolled up blankie in there to help your dc be more stable. Also the hood is great for helping the head not bobble around.

#4 ·
I bought my ergo when my dd was 2 mos (14 weeks) and the store owner said not to get the insert. She showed me how to put dd in sideways. I did not use a blanket because it was summer and it would have been too warm. I still put dd sideways as she was not strong enough to be upright. Now that she is nearly 4 mos, she goes in it facing forward. But, I still like my hotsling for around the house and recommend that or a cuddlywrap for newborns.

I tried putting my baby in the way sambelina describes but she did not like it. I also tried her frog-legged and she hated that. Sideways always put one leg asleep or the other. I could never get it right. I am glad for a recent growth spurt and neck strength so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

#5 ·
It really depends on your baby, honestly -- not only wearing preference, but size. I do find that it's useful for smaller newborns, as the body of the Ergo isn't that big and it's certainly not padded at all, so the insert helps fill in the gaps and provide a nice soft padded nest for the little baby. If your baby was older, I would say don't bother, but for a newborn it's nice to have the option so you can figure out what works best for both of you.

That said, the Ergo isn't my top choice of carrier for a newborn, just because with or without insert it's a little too bulky and hard to nurse in with a tiny baby. I prefer a ring sling or a stretchy wrap or a mei tai for the little baby state, and usually start moving to the Ergo when baby is somewhat bigger and can sit straddle-legged in the carrier on front or back.

#6 ·
Quirky, you raise a good point. I am sure it's easier to nurse in a sling or pouch or something like that than Ergo. But I do find that most moms seem to find the idea of nursing while babywearing pretty strange! I couldn't manage at all with my older dd until she was 6 months old. Nursing while babywearing without help from LLL or a person who knows how is rare!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.