Does such carrier exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still in looove w/my Becos. But I have not bought any new carrier for almost a year now so I'm just itching to get something. Here's what I'm looking for:

*for a heavy toddler (about 35 lbs.)
*for hip carry
*a pouch / ring sling (the Mei Hip didn't work for me; the waist belt didn't hold up)? Am I too late for a pouch or RS?
*for a large-sized mama; size 12/14, 5'9" (5'10" if I put shoes on)
*quick on and off
*cute print would be a huge plus!

TIA for all of your suggestions!
~May
#2 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM

I dunno about cute prints, but if I were in the market for a hip carrier I'd be looking at the Scootababy -- it has a structured waist belt, so unlike a ring sling or a pouch where all the weight is on one shoulder, it helps distribute the weight correctly like an SSC does. Esp. for a heavy baby, I'd want the waist belt support.

The Ellaroo mei hip comes in cute prints, but honestly I don't like it very much -- the waist belt is too soft to be supportive, and the shoulder is nigh impossible to adjust easily.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll be looking into Scootababy. Wish they had at least one other color than Black.

Do you think a fitted pouch or RS would for a baby this size? There are great print choices with those. That's why I ask.
#4 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Have another baby. IME, ring slings and pouches are much better for a little baby than a huge one. All that weight on one shoulder only is not going to be comfy for long. Doable for quick up-downs maybe but even if you're careful to switch off shoulders and stand up straight, you're going to be hurting for long term wearing.

It's a different aesthetic, but you could always try wrapping.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
IME, ring slings and pouches are much better for a little baby than a huge one.
I've had the opposite experience--I never got the hang of pouches and ring slings with a little baby, but I LOVE them now for a bigger child. I use a Puj and a Psling all the time for my 30 lb. 2 1/2 year old--great for quick ups and downs.
#6 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheringtao View Post
Thanks! I'll be looking into Scootababy. Wish they had at least one other color than Black.

Do you think a fitted pouch or RS would for a baby this size? There are great print choices with those. That's why I ask.
I liked my mama's milk adjustable pouch for a hip carry with my toddler all through pregnancy. I have a mayawrap ring sling and liked it overall but when we got to the point of lots of up and down it wasn't so great because the rings bothered me (when she was down).

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#7 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Not to hijack your thread, but can I please have more of a scoop on the Puj pouch? HOly moley, that is adorable! I love my hotsling for quick ups/down, too, but I LOVE the amy butler fabrics she uses. Does it have leg padding? Do you have any comparison to the sizing of hotslings? Thanks, and sorry for a million questions. I can't find anything about them on TBW.

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#8 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM

I still use ring slings and pouches with my 33 pound toddler but I "cheat" - I wear a fanny pack which he "sits" on while in the sling. It's like having a sling with a waist belt support. (Or you could do the hip cross carry with a wrap, .)
#9 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'm soooo bad! I know Quirky is right about Scootababy. But Puj Pouch is just soooo cute!!! Pslings are only up to 30 lbs. my ds is 35-ish.
The Puj Pouch says up to 24 months. is 35 lbs a typical / expected weight for a 24 month-old?
#10 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but can I please have more of a scoop on the Puj pouch? HOly moley, that is adorable! I love my hotsling for quick ups/down, too, but I LOVE the amy butler fabrics she uses. Does it have leg padding? Do you have any comparison to the sizing of hotslings? Thanks, and sorry for a million questions. I can't find anything about them on TBW.
I have a size 3 Puj and had a size 3 Hotsling. I *think* the Puj sizes are bigger than the Hotsling--I remember my size 3 Hotsling feeling horribly tight, but the same size Puj fits just right. I'm going to a babywearing meeting tomorrow, so I can bring the Puj and compare it to a Hotsling (I got rid of mine).

You really have to flip the top down over the shoulder with the Puj (and I guess that's the point since the fabrics are so cute together)--I don't remember having to do that with the Hotsling.
#11 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Oh, and there's no padding on the Puj. And I'm not sure why there's an age limit on it--the weight is really the important thing, rather than the age.
#12 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

rzberrymom,
What do you think the weight limit ought to be for the Puj Pouch? My ds is around 35 lbs.
Thanks,
May
#13 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just saw the coolest thing. Its called a SLING TAI its a hip carrier but can also be a MT. It comes in cute prints and can work with a fluffy mummy no problem.

here is the link : www.magicsling.com

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#14 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

opening the browser right now...can hardly contain the excitement! And for fluffy mamas!!!
#15 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

oh no!!! a waiting list!!!

it looks amazing, though!
#16 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
Saw them at the portland baby expo last weekend. They are very simple. No leg padding or lining, just the Amy Butler fabrics. Quilting cottons, so no stretch. I have no idea about the sizing. I'm interested to know how they wear and wash. I've never used a pouch, but it seems to me that you'd want a more substantial fabric with a bit of stretch? They're cute, though.
#17 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
rzberrymom,
What do you think the weight limit ought to be for the Puj Pouch? My ds is around 35 lbs.
Thanks,
May
It feels as substantial to me as my Hotsling did, but maybe the best thing to do is email her? It's too bad she doesn't list the weight on her site.
#18 of 18 Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
opening the browser right now...can hardly contain the excitement! And for fluffy mamas!!!
I have seen some gently used ones (since these are a fairly new carrier that just came out like 4mo ago at the most ) on thebabywearer.com fsot. You can access there tradepost area with out any posts and buy you just can't sell on there trade post without 30day membership and 30 posts.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page