Can you wear two babies at once? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 17 months and I am 4 weeks pregnant. I wear DS everywhere always. He loves it. I would hate to just cut him off totally.

I was thinking I could put him on my back in an ergo and sling the newborn in a sling around him. Would that even work?

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#2 of 11 Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM

I babysat my infant nephew when DS2 was 18-22 mos old. I frequently put DS2 on my back in one mei tai and my nephew on my front in another mei tai. I attracted lots of attention, but it got the job done!!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#3 of 11 Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 AM

An online friend of mine fostered and lived in Guatemala for 5 months with her twin daughters. She carried one on her hip in a hotsling like carrier and the other in a bjorn. She had pictures on her blog but said the hardest part was getting them both in and out by herself.
#4 of 11 Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM

another vote for 2 Mei Tais...I plan to do this with my son and daughter when she arrives in Feb...I have done it with Jack and friends kids

it works out great
#5 of 11 Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 PM

There are lots of combos you could do....Ergo over mei tai or stretchy wrap in the front, 2 mei tais, 2 wraps....check out the wearing multiples forum at www.thebabywearer.com, there are lots of suggestions (and not just for wearing birth multiples).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 11 Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#7 of 11 Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 AM

my two youngest are 2&1/2yrs apart. when i have had to, i carry my DD#2 on my back in an ergo/beco, and my DS on my front in a mei tai. i haven't done it in a while though, as it now entails carrying 60+ pounds of kiddos! :
you can totally carry both in an ergo/sling combo. you can even do an ergo/pouch (i helped a mama of twins at work with this a few months back, it worked great for her!). here's how i had her do it-
*buckle the ergo around your waist/hips and let it hang down
*put on the sling/pouch, put baby in, and adjust
*finally, get the toddler on your back and then fasten the ergo, making sure that the chest slip is high enough so that it doesn't knock into the baby's head

i would not recommend putting the sling on over the ergo, as it wouldn't be as secure. basically as long as you put the front carrier on first you'll be fine!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#8 of 11 Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 PM

I use either 2 mts or a ssc/mt combo.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#9 of 11 Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM

FWIW, I tried doing a pouch / mei tai combo a few times with DS2 and my nephew and hated it. One on my front and one on my hip seemed crowded and off-balance. I greatly preferred one on my back and one on my chest - much more balanced. It wasn't hard to do myself, either - I had already had practice putting DS2 in a back carry in a MT and actually found it EASIER to get him on my back when he could peek over my shoulder at my nephew tied ot my front! Flirting with his cousin kept him busy and prevented him from trying to squirm off my back.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#10 of 11 Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 PM

I wore 2 of my children in 2 slings at the same time. They are 16 months apart. I put the little one first and then his big sister and it worked well for a few months and then they were too heavy together.
#11 of 11 Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

I've been wearing two mei tais since DD was born 14 mos ago. DS is 28mos old. Here's a pic of us at the zoo about 6 mos ago. DD is on my back asleep, DS is on the front. I look more uncomfortable than I really am. I was trying to tell a passerby how to use my camera when the shot was taken, so I'm in mid sentence.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page