Could slinging at home be a form of lazy parenting?: - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine chews shoes too! (try to say that three times fast...)
She really likes my Birkenstocks now that she's teething. I figure it's good for her immune system. Neither of my kids ever get sick. I just make sure to keep the chokable stuff off the floor.

I'm a lazy mama, too. Isn't it great?

I babywear sometimes at home to keep the baby in safety when my oldest is in one of his hitting moods (although that's FINALLY going away). Especially when I'm going to be distracted by housework or cooking. She loves it. Remember, they only get to see the world from "up high" when you carry them so it's a novel experience.

I started co-sleeping recently simply because my DD is teething and the constant feedings at night were taking a toll. The last couple of weeks I just couldn't be bothered to put her back in her crib. What's the point if she's just going to wake up in 2 hours again? And it's soooo fun. But now I have the problem that I don't sleep because I like watching her sleep so much.

And we started solids at 5.5 mo but she didn't seem so interested and I couldn't be bothered. So, we decided to go back to EBF and wait for finger foods.
#32 of 36 Old 10-18-2007, 06:22 PM

Well, with more children the better a sling becomes, I'm really loving back carrying in a Kozy or Patapum. But other things have also come in quite handy... I can't keep my floors spotless and he gets into a lot of little pieces of hair, trash, food crumbs, stuff tracked in from outside. He can not have gluten, yet my 3yr old can into the living room w a cookie 2 days ago. Now he can't be on the floor until I scrub it. He loves to crawl around, play on his tummy, sit and play, etc and to keep him safe from the other things in the house I can't get to everyday, I will use a play pen. : (we're not talking all day here, 35 mintues while I cook dinner, 3 min while I get the olders out to the bus, etc)

Even in AP there can be a place for a Johnny Jumper, a swing, an exersaucer, a play pen, the key is that these things are not a replacement for mama time and interaction or a "babysitter", they are tools to allow children to explore their world safely when it might not always be so safe.

BTW - I use the Johnny Jumper while I clean the kitchen or cook, he can see me and we can talk.

I'm not as young as I used to be and all day babywearing wears me out!!! I'm so old...
#33 of 36 Old 10-19-2007, 04:05 PM

see, that is my view, also. I think there is a place for all those things. Slings, imo, are a tool. I use them to help me be a better parent. Sometimes, the baby needs to be held, but everyone else needs to eat, so something that lets me wear him and tend to other people's needs is a good thing. Sometimes lazy parenting is good parenting.
#34 of 36 Old 12-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I distinctly remember telling his grandma that I didn't want a swing nor would I turn on the t.v. b/c it wasn't right to let those things babysit him. Now, I feel like I might be letting the sling babysit my dd.
Interesting thing about the sling is that it serves both purposes - it ptovides some amount of "swing" and steady entertainment. But it AINT AN IDIOT BOX. hee hee

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#35 of 36 Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post

I remember when my step boys were very young, both in diapers and bottles, and people telling me that if I'm not having a hard time then I must not be doing it right. Why can't a system that works be both easy and beneficial?
LOL...Parenting should be soul-draining and restrictive....you aren't doing it right otherwise....

Its amazing what people see as good v. bad parenting. I kept being told ffing would be easier - exactly how? Or DS should be cio to "learn" how to sleep w/o me...Its not lazy to sling...it gives baby a chance to calm down too...
#36 of 36 Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM

Not that I've actually read the book The Continuum Concept, but the philosophy that I have read about described in this book is that families shouldn't necessarily be child-centered but family-/community-centered. To my mind it makes a lot of sense that my job as a parent isn't to dote on my child every second of the day, and do nothing but play on the floor with her or whatever -- it's to take care of her, the rest of the family, my work, and myself, and to integrate her into the family. Babywearing is one tool that allows me to do that and help me care for my baby without making her the absolute center of the universe at every moment. It's not "lazy" to do some of the things that need to get done with my baby attached to me -- whether it's helping a client, doing some laundry, helping my son with his Lego project, or reading a book to my daughter. Or even kicking back myself and taking a little mommy sanity break! :

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page