Is this obnoxious? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, before I was introduced to wraps and babywearing here at mdc, I used a Snuggli. Now my Snuggli is in a bag in storage because it would be silly to use it now that I know!!! I certainly was never "mainstream", but I just didn't know what was out there and I'd like to think that if more so-called "mainstream" mama's knew how comfy other styles of carriers can be, they would use them. I'm giving a Moby to a friend who is due soon because I wish somebody had introduced me to babywearing when my ds was born.

caffix.gif

#32 of 49 Old 10-28-2007, 11:11 PM

I was pretty mainstream before I had my daughter, just b/c I didn't know any different. At my shower (this was in 2000), a friend got me a subscription to Mothering mag, which I'd never heard of. This was the beginning of major life changes for me. She was also nursing her toddler at my shower, which I'd never seen but thought was really cool.

I'd never get CD's for anyone unless they specifically asked. A friend of mine recently registered for Fuzzi Bunz and got a huge supply at her shower!

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#33 of 49 Old 10-28-2007, 11:17 PM

My "mainstream" SIL recently said she hated her travel system stroller thingy for her 8 week old. She said "There has to be another way!" I said "uhm, yeah, there is!" At the time, I had my 13 mo DD on my hip in a sling. Hands free, etc., etc., etc.

SIL said something like "There's got to be something in between this and *that!*"

She has enjoyed/used the Dr. Sears Baby Book I gave her at her shower. I think a simple carrier with a page of two or instructions/how-to's/helpful websites wuold be great!
#34 of 49 Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
I don't think it's obnoxious. I almost always give an AP book and/or a carrier.
Me too.

Michelle
#35 of 49 Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I feel so positive after all your posts. I shouldn't have let one silly comment to second-guess myself.

I just showed my cousin (whom I had gifted an Ergo) how to use the infant insert. I also brought a number of different carriers to this family union. She ended up picking a Beco and a Ellaroo RS. Her dh was like, "how many of those do you need?" and then my dh quickly chimed in, "dude, it's like shoe fetish"
so true. so true.
#36 of 49 Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheringtao View Post
"dude, it's like shoe fetish"
#37 of 49 Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 PM

Yup, exactly like shoes. Some of us can get away with only one, most of us have at least a few, you can have full justification for up to a dozen without even getting into style differences - and then some of us have the bug and end up with 50+. Exactly like shoes!
#38 of 49 Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Not annoying at all. People find out about "better ways" because they come across it or someone points it out.

I was a Pottery Barn Kids (drooling, not buying, its SOOOO spendy!) and they had The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Dr. Sears for sale!!!! I wonder if it's just that store who's manager decided those would be good or if PB on a whole sells them?
#39 of 49 Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM

I agree with the other posters. I think a carrier is a great idea. It's APish, but very practical as well. I've gotten stopped so many times by mamas asking about my pouch. They would say how hard it is to shop with their wiggly baby in the cart or stroller. It is, that's why I started using mine. I love holding her and it is soo practical as well.

I would wait on the cloth diapers though, unless you know she will use them. That could end up being a waste of your money.
#40 of 49 Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Now I see how silly it was for me to start this post with "obnoxious" in it.

Wish I had this kinda AP love 8 years ago!

PB selling Dr. Sears? Woooo, that might just be an excuse to window shop!

I'm on the TBW thread for support ... support for the will power not to buy a Psling...:
#41 of 49 Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I always give crunchy parenting items to family members, and none of them "get it" but they give us stuff we roll our eyes about too, so it comes out even. Even if they end up re gifting/selling/giving away, SOME mom will benefit from it and you never know if they will end up learning/changing from your gift!
#42 of 49 Old 11-03-2007, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
I always give crunchy parenting items to family members, and none of them "get it" but they give us stuff we roll our eyes about too, so it comes out even. Even if they end up re gifting/selling/giving away, SOME mom will benefit from it and you never know if they will end up learning/changing from your gift!
That's so true. It's sort of like a circle. It'll eventually come back around...
#43 of 49 Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheringtao View Post
and then my dh quickly chimed in, "dude, it's like shoe fetish"
so true. so true.

So great to see a DH who gets it!!
#44 of 49 Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post

So great to see a DH who gets it!!
He tried to fight the obsession but resistance was futile!
#45 of 49 Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think a carrier with instructions is a great idea! I gave a pouch to someone once with no instructions and she returned it for a snuggli-type carrier
My fault for not showing her how good it was!

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#46 of 49 Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM

I just gave a Moby to my friend who just gave birth a couple weeks ago. I was sad when I walked into her home and saw formula and bottles...she just found breastfeeding "too hard" . But I remember seeing my younger sister in tears trying to breastfeed her newborn...who she ended up breastfeeding for 2 years.....so that argument doesn't really sit well with me...however that's off topic. My friend is only 18 and I doubt she has much non-mainstream influence. So I'm going to try my best to show her alternatives. I'm going to check back on her in a couple weeks and see how the Moby is working out and help her "get it" if it isn't.

caffix.gif

#47 of 49 Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 PM

I think a book and Tummy 2 Tummy is good. Paired with a gift certificate is great! I'd have loved those as a new mom and plan on doing just this for a few friends this spring. In the past I've given wraps and ring slings but think a g.c. might be a better choice.
#48 of 49 Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't read the other replies, but when I haven't given the Sears Baby Book to a friend or relative, they have almost all had a terrible terrible time parenting their infants. It seems like no one in my generation or social group had any good experience with infants prior to giving birth, and they are likelier to get a carrier from someone else- certainly if they read the book. Most are too shell shocked to figure out the ring sling early on. In my experience, babies learn best and develop their muscles better in carriers that change position easily, rather than the rigidity of the ergo. The ergo doesn't allow for as much muscle development in the abdomen, as it is kept rigid and supported all the time, and abdominal strength is key for crawling skills.
#49 of 49 Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
I haven't read the other replies, but when I haven't given the Sears Baby Book to a friend or relative, they have almost all had a terrible terrible time parenting their infants. It seems like no one in my generation or social group had any good experience with infants prior to giving birth, and they are likelier to get a carrier from someone else- certainly if they read the book. Most are too shell shocked to figure out the ring sling early on. I.
Thanks! That's very useful.

So here's the post-shower update:

She got a Moby Wrap from her mom (smart momma)
I gave her an Ellaroo Rebozo and a Sky Temple Beco.
Then another preggy friend of hers got all curious. I showed them how to wrap the Moby and the Rebozo. Then how to put on the Beco. Someone joked, "oh, that's just way too many straps for me to figure it out." But whatever. I think the print got more "woo" and "ahs". The 2 preggy mamas were so excited about the options out there!

Oh, then the older women (the grandma-aged) in the party chimed in on how the Rebozo was used "back in the day in Mexico" Turns out, they never tied it! Hmmmm...

It was a productive shower!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page