Is this obnoxious? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is that season of preggy mamas in my large extended family once again. They are young, first time (very mainstream) moms expecting soon. Lots of baby showers coming up. So here's the question:

Is it terribly obnoxious / pushy for me to gift them my personal granola-in-training favorites like a carrier, pack of cloth diapers, and the Tummy-to-Tummy DVD or Attachment Parenting book?

Okay. I'm being selfish because I was to get preggy again, these are exactly what I'd want.

Looking for suggestions from experienced gifters.
TIA,
May
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM

I think simple to use carriers like ergos and pouches make great shower gifts for non-crunchy mams. I like to give it with Dr. Sear's baby book.

''''

Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM

Gosh, I hope it's not obnoxious! I've given baby wraps before, mainly because I found a cool one and thought I'd share. I've also given the Dr. Sears book. It never occurred to me that someone would think I was trying to influence their parenting. Of course, these are all gifts that I'd like, too, so I guess I'm biased anyways.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:41 AM

I don't think it's obnoxious. I almost always give an AP book and/or a carrier.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Well, it depends...

I think a non-crunchy carrier would work...an Ergo, Patapum, perhaps a Kozy Mei Tai or a ringsling/adjustable pouch would work great, stress their versitility.

Id nix the cloth diapers-CDing is scary for alot of people, and they might go to waste or be used as burp cloths (good, but kinda a waste of $$ considering how much decent prefolds cost!)

The AP book...hmm, i donno...maybe, maybe not. Some AP books are really pushy and make you feel that you HAVE to do eerything AP to be considere AP'ing. Im not totally into AP per se, more into parenting according to what my husband and I feel is right-in our hearts and not according to our culture...but even then, some of the stuff ive read in the AP books makes me feel like im not quite good enough.
LOL...

I really think thou a carrier would be a GREAT idea!!!

I gave a quality jersey wrap 2 a friend...hopefully it'll be a gateway carrier becos shes LOVING it w/ her newborn. Im giving a RS to my sister whose expecting-she loves how easy it is for me to get around sans stroller using my carriers and at her babyshower I showed her friend who has a newborn how to use a RS.

Umm Ibi
Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Sometimes people just dont know hun!....so spread your knowledge on the matter!!!... I mean, you call them 'mainstream'...but perhaps they are not mainstream by choice!....I only learned about AP after my son was born and wish I had friends like you around before I even got pregnant! hehe

I think simple to use carriers like ergos and pouches make great shower gifts for non-crunchy mams. I like to give it with Dr. Sear's baby book.

That sounds like a great idea!.... And though its not really the same, I even give wooden toys as gifts to others children. They get the idea that what I would like as well - and I feel good that I also doing something good - subjecting my lifestyle on others in a....good way! lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I think I'd go with an Attached to Baby gift card, tucked into a copy of The Baby Book. ATB carries sooo many different types of carriers that they could find something that suits them, but you'd definitely be exposing them to the wonders of babywearing.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM

I think slings are great for moms who are non-crunchy. Even mainstream moms are getting into them now and if they just have one on hand, they are more likely to use it than if they didn't have one or didn't know about it. Besides that, a lot of mainstream women are getting into them now because of all of the celebrities using them recently.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Thats what I was thinking. You don't want to turn them off, but introducing them to crunchiness would be good.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
I think I'd go with an Attached to Baby gift card, tucked into a copy of The Baby Book. ATB carries sooo many different types of carriers that they could find something that suits them, but you'd definitely be exposing them to the wonders of babywearing.
I second this. I did exactly this for a client of mine. Unfortunately I never heard from her again (no thank you, nothing) but I still felt good giving that gift, since she could find SOMETHING she liked there!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Very reassuring suggestions. I guess I should've added that I felt weird giving my crunchy-minded gifts because my BIL joked, "so what kinda granola gifts are you going to send so-and-so?" :
I gave an Ergo w/The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD to my cousin but she has used very little of both.

The carrier seems like it's still kosher enough for moms from all walks of life. But how about a stash of cloth nappies? Is that a waste of time & $$$? Should I throw-in a mini shower to make it easier for the new parents? Or should I go with a gift certificate to a local diapering service?

I hope you all don't mind me asking this: Would Beco's be not mainstream enough? I know it's kinda girly (in prints) and not gender neutral to some folks. I've offered an old neighbor back in NYC to pick any carrier from my site as a gift. She already had the baby back in July. She hasn't said anything (& I've reminded her another time) Just wondering why? I mean, she'd get so much use out of a carrier, having to walk her ds to and from her dd's school every morning and afternoon. She wouldn't have to go up and down the stairs in a stroller...okay. ramblin' now...

TIA for all the helpful tips.
It's all about spreading crunchy love.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:21 PM

I agree with UmmIbi, I would nix the cloth diapers. That's a much bigger commitment and frankly NOT as easy as sposies (and I'm a dedicated CDer/ECer). Unless someone's going to make the commitment, that element of the gift will go to waste.

I really like The Baby Book, and I think the idea of a carrier is great, too -- although as much as I love Ergos and Becos, I don't think they're necessarily easy for the little baby stage. I think that a gift certificate and an offer of guidance from you in helping them choose something is a great idea.

I find that many new parents who have no previous exposure to babywearing are absolutely overwhelmed by the choices online and don't know which way to go. I have found that even showing people 1 brand of each of 5 different carriers is enough to make them ::: so I think your personal help in choosing/using one could make all the difference.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 PM

That's why the Tummy2Tummy video is so great. You can give that with a promise of whatever carrier they think they would use based on the video.

Or you can give the video and a gift certificate and say, "Hey, once you've watched the video, you can pick out a (ringsling/pouch/meitai/wrap/beco) whatever."

ITA that people sometimes get : when you present too many sling options, but some people really want all that info. I always teach based on what they are asking. And with some people the questions just keep coming, and therefore I just keep showing and telling.

As far as "selling" AP or the crunchy lifestyle to people that is tricky IMO. We all wandered down this path in our own way. Having someone grab you and pull you down the path might be a turnoff. I am not saying that is what you are doing, and I could be wrong anyway. Just saying that if you try to get them to BF and Babywear and co-sleep and cloth diaper they might feel a little cornered or pressured.

Babywearing is one "gateway" to AP, lol. The rest of it I feel all you can do is just lead by example and just hope for the best. If they come to you for advice then you can tell them what you think. Just my two cents.

-Vijay
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM

May I add that, id seriously stay away from pouches UNLESS you know the moms pre-prego size, current prego size and can get sizing help from the company...BECOS, you cant imagine the amount of new moms I run into w/ pouches which are sized REALLY REALLY wrong...either too big or too small. Its scary seeing a baby in a Hotsling that looks like a low slung purse...nice gift idea...close but no cigar.
If you cant get exact sizes...Id reall suggest a adjustable pouch at the bare minimum, that way even if the mom looses weight post pregnancy-which most women do, it'll STILL fit, and as the baby gets bigger, she can adjust it to fit that.

Or get a basic ring sling, my sister is expecting and they are NOT crunchy-just trying to manage...and her and her sig. other are getting a sling from me...they both love the concept and ease of use. Im actually getting a pouch/sling hybred called a Wise Woman Sling-they r sposed to be more "fool-proof" than a traditional sling. Less of a learning curve.
So thats always an option- a adjustable pouch or a pouch/sling hybrid (Rosy Baby lite on shoulder makes them too).

Thats another option.

Ibi is tired, off to get him to sleep.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:17 PM

May I add that, id seriously stay away from pouches UNLESS you know the moms pre-prego size, current prego size and can get sizing help from the company...BECOS, you cant imagine the amount of new moms I run into w/ pouches which are sized REALLY REALLY wrong...either too big or too small. Its scary seeing a baby in a Hotsling that looks like a low slung purse...nice gift idea...close but no cigar.
If you cant get exact sizes...Id reall suggest a adjustable pouch at the bare minimum, that way even if the mom looses weight post pregnancy-which most women do, it'll STILL fit, and as the baby gets bigger, she can adjust it to fit that.

Or get a basic ring sling, my sister is expecting and they are NOT crunchy-just trying to manage...and her and her sig. other are getting a sling from me...they both love the concept and ease of use. Im actually getting a pouch/sling hybred called a Wise Woman Sling-they r sposed to be more "fool-proof" than a traditional sling. Less of a learning curve.
So thats always an option- a adjustable pouch or a pouch/sling hybrid (Rosy Baby lite on shoulder makes them too).

Thats another option.

Ibi is tired, off to get him to sleep.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post

Yeah that!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 PM

I would definitely give them the Dr. Sears book and a simple carrier. I think those are fabulous gifts. I'd nix the cloth diapers too--chances are they will never use them and they are really expensive. If you want to add something else think about a Boppy or something else breastfeeding-supportive without being obnoxiously so...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 PM

Not at all obnoxious. But, yeah, simple is probably best! How thoughtful of you!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
this is exactly what i did for my pretty mainstream aunt when she had her first. i made her the ring sling, and bought her a copy of dr. sears baby book. she told me they referred to that book a million times in the first year, and they used the sling a lot too. they're still pretty mainstream, but i feel like maybe a little less so than they might have been, thanks to me
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Dr. Sears baby book!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! It just dawned me about the bfing thing. No one in my dh's side of the family every bfed (not even the grandmas). I remember bfing at a family BBQ and my MIL nearly passed out with that disdain look on her face! Dh then asked me to go to the guest room.

Anyway, that's ot.

Here's what I'll do:
~the book
~a carrier
~a boppy pillow
~a Hallmark card with their local Nino group and Le Leche League numbers.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
g&a

I got a sling as a gift from a friend when I was expecting my first. I never would have afforded (or found) one on my own but used that darn thing every day for the forst 8 months. It was the single most important gift I recieved.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've given carriers as gifts. I don't think it's pushing the crunchiness--after all, babywearing is practical as well as part of being AP

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 AM

A ring sling is sort of become my shower stand by gift!!! I also like the idea of the Sears book. Many times I give The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah! One of my cousins (the expecting daddy) just hand picked a carrier for his girlfriend
He said, "so much better than the carriers on our registry!"
Old 10-27-2007, 02:32 AM

Woohoo!

I think your gift list is perfect.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My standard baby shower gift to family memebers is a ring sling. Gave my SIL a Sleeping baby production one. She is pretty main stream 4 mo later I gifted her a Mei Tai I had.. I was talking to her recently and she is planning on buying an ergo to use now that my neice is 1

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

so cool! now I can't wait to go to all the baby showers.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 AM

I almost always give a ring sling or a mei tai, but I AM pretty obnoxious.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:16 PM

I was pretty "mainstream" before I actually became a mother and oh how I wish I had known better. I think its great to give someone the tools to change

User Tag List