Who here wraps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't seem like very many MDC mom's use wraps. I read a lot about slings and MT's but not much about wrapping. I'm wondering why or am I wrong. And if you do wrap which ones do you have?
#2 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 PM

I personally dont wrap.
I prefer Asian Baby Carriers and the only Mei Tai's I like are the real Chinese ones (like the Mangobaby mei tai)...I prefer Onbuhimos, Chunei's and other funky "ethnic" stuff.

But ive noticed the same...RS's and MT's are BIG on MDC...

I have 2 wraps, a DIY gauze and a narrow Japanese wrap...but I dont use either much...I just prefer my Chunei and Onbu over anything...I DO love Pslings though.

Ive tried a Storch...but alas, couldnt truely get into wrappin'.

which kinds do you like?

Umm Ibi
#3 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I have a Didy Indio and girasol Tango and earthy rainbow. I've had an ellaroo in the past but wanted something thicker so I sold it to buy the girasol. I want to try a bb slen and a hopp. I have a MT but never use it. I feel like the wraps are much more supportive.
#4 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 PM

I have a Didymos.

I am in :

Just wish I would have know about it almost 8 years ago...

Have tried to carry my baby in a Maya pouch but she hated it and I found it very uncomfortable.
#5 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
I have a Didymos.

I am in :

Just wish I would have know about it almost 8 years ago...

Have tried to carry my baby in a Maya pouch but she hated it and I found it very uncomfortable.
Which one?
Wraps are soooo pretty. That is one reason I love them so much.
#6 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM

I've used all different kinds of carriers over the years, but the wrap I used the most was a Bali Baby Stretch. It's sort of in between a stretchy wrap (like a Moby) and a woven wrap (like a Didy or Storch). It was easy to pop my DD in and out due to the stretch, but it was much more supportive than something like a Moby.
#7 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 PM

I have a Hoppediz. I love it! Ds is alomst 6 months and I just got it a couple of weeks ago. I wish I had it much sooner. It is so beautiful. I love the looks and compliments I get when I am wearing him around. Lots of ladies ask me if I get a sore neck or back and shocked when they find out that it feels like heaven having my little guy so close.

I wanted a wrap because I wanted to challenge myself, and at this point I have only mastered a front cross carry, but I am working slowly on other carries. I was worried about tying it on myself when we are out and about, because sometimes it just isn't practical to drive around all wrapped up! But I figured out if I tie it and keep the ends in the car, they don't drag on the ground. I would like to try an Asian style carrier, but for now my wrap is awesome and like I said I love it!!

caffix.gif

#8 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 PM

I love wraps! Im down to just one wrap, but I love it. I am borrowing an Ergo from a friend, and I am scared to get one because I probably wont use my wraps as much if I do. But, I totally love wraps. They are beautiful, and comfortable, and they attract a lot of positive people and comments. Its like waving my crunchy flag. LOL. If I wear SSCs more often, I will have to wear more tie-dye to compensate, I think.
#9 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Our only carrier for a really long time was a Moby wrap, and we used it every-which-way. DD is still pretty little and it gets used frequently for the hip carry.

As soon as I can afford decent fabric, I'm going to make one for the specific length I like for a hip carry. I'd love to try a higher quality wrap for the more involved carries, especially as DD gets bigger, but it hasn't been in the budget yet.

I'm in love with my Peanut Shell pouch for quick trips at the moment, but you can't beat a wrap for a long haul. Definitely prefer the Moby to our mei tai, but I also can't carry DD on my back in the mei tai.
#10 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 08:31 PM

We have a Jan Didymos that we use all the time and LURVE Mostly we do FWCC, and I can get him on my back by myself in a SHBC (highly modified), but we also put him on DP's back in a few different ways, which takes both of us, and I've used it for a really comfy side carry. We also have a BBS (Isis) which is on semi-permanent loan to a mama with a babe about 4 months younger than Naked Baby. We were rarely using it at that point (although it was our favorite when he was younger), and she only had a DIY gauze - not the best option for a little one, although it works. We also have a water wrap (also from gypsymama) that I love, and use sometimes to take showers with him when I'm home by myself, but it doesn't feel secure enough to use it for anything else.

We'd love to have a bigger wrap stash, but $$ is an issue (when isn't it??).

We don't only wrap, though. Out and about you're more likely to see us using the RS or MT - unless it's at the zoo, which is more than worth getting the wrap out for. It's definitely the most comfortable long-wear option.
#11 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 09:04 PM

I have a Moby, Ellaroo Meija and Vatani Marumaya (did I spell that right...lol)
#12 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 09:08 PM

I love my wraps. I have a Moby wrap which is stretchy and great for little ones when you're holding them for long periods. I also have a Maya wrap which is not stretchy and it's great for toddlers. Especially on your back.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#13 of 65 Old 10-27-2007, 09:26 PM

I like my slings but I love my wrap a kajillion times more. It's SO much more comfortable.

I have a Versa-Carry from Wallypop.
#14 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 10:22 AM

MDC Wrappers exist! I'm just guessing that we're not a very vocal bunch.

I have:
  • Didymos Terra Wool dyed turquoise, hemmed to 4 m.
  • A Didymos blue tricolor with fringe, 2.2m
  • A Storchenwiege Ulli, 4.1m (my bulletproof wrap that can go to h*!! and back and look perfect after a wash)
  • A Bara Barn in druvor (grape)
  • A vintage Gypsy Mama Gauze in canary yellow - a great beach wrap

I used to have a Kozy but found that the wraps were comfier. Also, dd#2 just didn't like the MT unless it was to sleep in
#15 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 AM

Ds may have to write "wrap" as his permanent address on his college paperwork. : I am so in love with wrapping. Due to $$ I've not actually bought one. I haven't wrapped my brain around spending that much money for a length of fabric when I have a room in my house that has been taken over by fabric.
My first wrap was for ds2 and it was just some homespun-style fabric in a plain check. That was heaven sent for my back since he got so big so fast.
For ds2 I dyed up some cotton jersey in a pretty sage green. I like the very slight width-wise stretch of it for the newborn stage.
I like that I can have lots of cuddle time with him even though he is #3 with brothers who also want lots of my time. Also, since my last 2 are adopted, its given me a way to bond with them.
I also have 2 RS and a MT. Ds3 HATES the RS. I've never been able to find a position he will tolerate for more than 10 minutes. The MT is okay, but we just really like the super-closeness of the wrap.
It is fun, too, to be out in public and get all the wow! comments. Though I must say, I get FAR fewer comments now than I did 2-3 years ago. I think they are becoming more popular around here, so not such a novelty.
#16 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
MDC Wrappers exist! I'm just guessing that we're not a very vocal bunch.

I have:
  • Didymos Terra Wool dyed turquoise, hemmed to 4 m.
  • A Didymos blue tricolor with fringe, 2.2m
  • A Storchenwiege Ulli, 4.1m (my bulletproof wrap that can go to h*!! and back and look perfect after a wash)
  • A Bara Barn in druvor (grape)
  • A vintage Gypsy Mama Gauze in canary yellow - a great beach wrap

I used to have a Kozy but found that the wraps were comfier. Also, dd#2 just didn't like the MT unless it was to sleep in

A friend of mine just got a Ulli, I love the colors.
#17 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM

Yep, I love to wrap! I have... erm... more than I'm going to admit to

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#18 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 PM

i mostly wrap newborns/smaller infants and then graduate to MT's and SSC's as they get older.

i don't have many wraps atm, since DS doesn't get worn much these days and i haven't ramped up the stash yet for baby. But i do have my Ganga GM BBS that i just got back (was lending it to a friend), and in the past i've had an Ellaroo Ysabel, a Freya GM BBB and two Storchs (Ulli and Turq Leo). The Ysabel ended up as two ring slings, one of which i gifted and the other i sold, the GM Freya met the exact same fate, and both the Storchs got sold or traded when we phased out of using them much.
#19 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 02:06 PM

I wrap too! I have a wrap and an ergo. I want to try a MT next time

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#20 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM

I do!! Almost exclusively now. I have 2 Ellaroos, a BB slen and a Didymos on the way I hope. I've had various other wraps that have passed through my house too, but I try not to be too greedy and just have a few that I really love at any one time rather than the dozens I'd like! lol
I have MTs and 1 SSC too, pouches and RS for newborn phases, but wrapping is what I love best.
#21 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use a wrap, it works great with my growing bump.

I like many many carriers, but right now my MT and my wrap are my prefered choice.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#22 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 05:31 PM

im loving wraps now too though i'd like to branch out from the fwcc and pwcc, but dd2 is not the most patient with mumma learning new positions

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#23 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM

I am in loooooove with my Moby, and so is my Savannah!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#24 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM

I love wraps. I have a Lana (I really like this one), a homemade gauze and now a moby for the new baby. I also plan on getting a didy for the new baby.
I love rings slings and ABCs but wraps are a life saver and my favorite for back carries.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#25 of 65 Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 PM

MDC'er here who loves wrapping to get the perfect fit. I have a moby wrap and I love it! I've been using it since my son was a few days old. The moby wrap has been perfect for the newborn stage.
#26 of 65 Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Wraps are the largest portion of my stash. i love my wraps far above almost anything but my Pod.
#27 of 65 Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Ok, I just realized that wraps are somethign different! (I'm new to this, but really love the ideas). DO wraps seem more versatile? or is it just me? I think I might look into these!

Also I notice that there are fewer wraps that are sold in multiple sizes, which is a drag if you're bigger. Anyone who's bigger (plus-sized, I'm a size 24 non-pregnant), if there a brand you like?

signature currently in transition
#28 of 65 Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM

I'm a wrapper, too! I have:

Vatanai:
  • Kipawa
  • Koira
  • Pamir

Gypsy Mama:
  • Morgaine
  • Water Wrap

I love, adore, and worship my wraps. : They make my life so much easier. Right now, we only do the FWCC (front wrap cross carry) for the most part (since there are no boobs on my back), but I can't wait until he gets older and goes more willingly on my hip or back.

DS2 actually smiles when he sees me break out a wrap. He knows it means he's going to have the ride of his life! He loves his wraps, and DS1 even wants up every so often.

So, yes, there are some wrappers here at MDC.

eva
#29 of 65 Old 10-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Ok, I just realized that wraps are somethign different! (I'm new to this, but really love the ideas). DO wraps seem more versatile? or is it just me? I think I might look into these!

Also I notice that there are fewer wraps that are sold in multiple sizes, which is a drag if you're bigger. Anyone who's bigger (plus-sized, I'm a size 24 non-pregnant), if there a brand you like?
Yes they are VERY versatile! Front, back, side, quick, sturdy, poppable... and on and on. Their biggest downfall is that they for some people, they are hard to learn. I caught on quick, though =)

As far as longer wraps go, look for a size 7, 5+ meters, or a "maxi." My friend had a BB Slen that was really long and it was GORGEOUS! I like that brand.
#30 of 65 Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Another wrapper checking in! I have 2 MTs, a ringsling, and a pouch, too but wrapping is my true love!!! We use it for naps at home with dd (11 weeks). When she was smaller, I used my MobyD topless for skin on skin. She is now 17lbs and I use my 2 Hopps and 2 BB Slens every day....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page