Ring sling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-30-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just use a home made ring sling, that was used for my son and now used for my daughter. I also have two home made mei ties, but I dont use them. Though my husband does on occasion.

Ive seen a lot of posts that talk about these fancy slings, but who here just likes and prefers the good ole ring sling?

:]
#2 of 26 Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 PM

Well, I'd go absolutely bonkers without my mei tai and my wrap (or at least ONE of them!), but I do loooooove my DIY ring sling too. It's what we use first thing in the morning when I'm just puttering around getting ready for the day, and what we use in restaurants, and really any shorter time. I gotta say I didn't find the ring sling love until Naked Baby was about 3mo, though, when we could do a good T2T or hip carry.
#3 of 26 Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ah I love the mei tie too! But it takes a while for me to put it on, when I can just sort of "toss" on the ring sling haha. But I agree with you, It wasnt true love until I was able to do the hip carry ^_~

So why do you call your baby Naked Baby? I think thats cute =]
#4 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 AM

'Cause for the first few months of his life, he was more or less naked. And now that it's cold (well, cold for the Pacific Northwest ) and he's mobile, he wears everything BUT a diaper - and with babylegs, sometimes everything but something on his butt. Ah, getting mooned by a butt naked boy baby as he crawls away to play, that's an image you won't soon forget...

Anyway, it's mostly a reference to the fact that we do Elimination Communication, and have a frequently naked baby therefore. Plus, y'know, it's cute.
#5 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

thats so awesome. my baby girl is always naked too. Not for EC though I am thinking we should just do that :P but because she had really bad yeast infections so we just keep her nakie all the time :]
#6 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 AM

It's not too late to start! And it could definitely help with the yeast infections. Naked Baby didn't get a diaper rash until he got a diarrheal virus around 6mo - and then he was better within a couple days, while still pooping 6+ times a day, because none of them were in a diaper. (Not that EC is necessarily a cure-all - but what could it hurt, eh?)
#7 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

where could I learn more about it? :] ive heard about it and it seems really neat!
#8 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 AM

There's MDC's own Elimination Communication forum, and the support group (a la LLL) Diaper Free Baby - those are good places to start, and I have to get my own Naked Baby to bed so it's all I have time for.
#9 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 AM

Once my kids were old enough to do a good hip carry, I always loved the ring sling, especially as they get older and want to look around a lot.. I find it much better than a pouch for a hip carry - the adjustability is key. No matter what I or the babe is wearing, we can get a snug fit.
#10 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
There's MDC's own Elimination Communication forum, and the support group (a la LLL) Diaper Free Baby - those are good places to start, and I have to get my own Naked Baby to bed so it's all I have time for.
def. going to take a look at those!
#11 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
Once my kids were old enough to do a good hip carry, I always loved the ring sling, especially as they get older and want to look around a lot.. I find it much better than a pouch for a hip carry - the adjustability is key. No matter what I or the babe is wearing, we can get a snug fit.
That is what I LOVE about it! just throw it on, tighten and ur off! No ties involved
#12 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 AM

I LOVE my ring sling. (It's bought, but still nice) I first put DS in it to go to the doctors at 2 days old, and it's still his favourite way to go to sleep. I have to say that I'm glad I bought it (It's a Maya Wrap LLightly Padded) and I can't wait til tomorrow! I'm getting my Babyhawk!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#13 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM

I bought a maya wrap of a mama here & honestly, I STILL can't get the hang of it. I have a baby on the way & would like to give it a shot...it just eludes me...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#14 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I LOVE my ring sling. (It's bought, but still nice) I first put DS in it to go to the doctors at 2 days old, and it's still his favourite way to go to sleep. I have to say that I'm glad I bought it (It's a Maya Wrap LLightly Padded) and I can't wait til tomorrow! I'm getting my Babyhawk!
Thats awesome I used to get comps. when people saw Molly sleeping in there. They used to say how safe and happy she seemed
#15 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I bought a maya wrap of a mama here & honestly, I STILL can't get the hang of it. I have a baby on the way & would like to give it a shot...it just eludes me...
Well I usually put the ringed side over my right shoulder and have the pocket on my left shoulder. Try and work with a baby doll, (a baby sized one) and sit them in the pocket. The butt needs to be below the knees. Pull the "seat" of the sling where the baby sits, to the knees, and the pull the "back" up around the baby for support. Pull the excess fabric coming from the rings and you are set.

http://www.mayawrap.com/u_maya_wrap_101.php <--- I hope this helps!
#16 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momwifenurse View Post
Well I usually put the ringed side over my right shoulder and have the pocket on my left shoulder. Try and work with a baby doll, (a baby sized one) and sit them in the pocket. The butt needs to be below the knees. Pull the "seat" of the sling where the baby sits, to the knees, and the pull the "back" up around the baby for support. Pull the excess fabric coming from the rings and you are set.

http://www.mayawrap.com/u_maya_wrap_101.php <--- I hope this helps!
Thanks! Will have to check that out!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#17 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

:]
#18 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM

Well, I do love my ring slings though they ARE "fancy pants"...P-slings to be precise... :
But I do have a Maya and just bought my sister a Wise Woman and both are really nice.

I didnt start w/ them...I started w/ back carries and only got into ring slings once ds was 5 months and they were comfortable for a hip carry...But they DO rock and at times im seriously torn between back carry or hip carry...
#19 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I love the hip carry myself, im too paranoid when I get to back carry hahaha
#20 of 26 Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I love the hip carry myself, im too paranoid when I get to back carry hahaha
really! Wow..dont be...its very easy and safe once you know what your doing.
Im actually the opposite of most new moms becos INSTEAD of starting w/ a front cradle carry I kinda skipped it (cept for 2-3 weeks of a UBW) and moved right onto back carries in an Onbuhimo.

But I do give mad props to ring slings...I used to think they were silly-esp when someone could do a back carry...BUT, ive changed my opinion and REALLY like a snuggly hip carry-thou I do move him to my back occasionally during a long walk. I still back carry though but its pretty evenly split.
#21 of 26 Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 AM

I'm not sure what qualifies as a fancy RS (except for PSling, which I know for sure are fancy! ) but I like the shoulder style of the Ellaroo. It's very easy for in and out of an older baby yet adjustable that you can use it more than just hip carry. If my ds falls asleep at the store, I can gently rotate him towards the front t2t position.

In RS and Wraps, especially, I think the quality of the fabric also has a lot to do with comfort level of the carrier.

HTH
#22 of 26 Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

... yeah what does qualify as a fancy RS? For fabric, i think just plain hemp is nice. durable, and breezy. and u can smush it into a purse haha.
#23 of 26 Old 11-02-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
... yeah what does qualify as a fancy RS? For fabric, i think just plain hemp is nice. durable, and breezy. and u can smush it into a purse haha.
To be frank...Pslings while pricy ARE like that too...they r durable, breezy and fold up small...can withstand alot of wear and tear!
They are soooo comfortable though and worth the high price tag.
I drool over the Sakura Bloom Luxe but those seem to be REALLY fancy pants buy others who use their silk ones frequently say that they r great for everyday wear too.
So I think it depends on ones perceptions...
#24 of 26 Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

true true!
#25 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM

We still feel the ring sling love, although I have now acquired a mei tai and a wrap. Nothing beats the ring sling for a quick pop in/out and 1 year old dd is so comfortable in it. The ring sling was so great for putting her down for naps in the cradle hold position until she was 8 months or so. We have a basic Over the Shoulder baby holder. I think the oopa silk ring slings are sooo gorgeous.

Momma to two sweet girls
#26 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

ive never heard of the oopa sling, i will have to check it out :]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page