clueless... can you help/offer suggestions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to become a "baby wearer", but I have no idea what I'm doing. I've only ever seen one other person who does this - a dad, which was surprising and adorable to me.

Anyway, is there a place where I can get instructions on how to make something to wear my 5 week old dd in? Also, what is best if you have a shoulder issue? For some reason, I have a very painful left shoulder when it is put into a certain position or has to bear weight for any length of time. Oh, I am BF also, so if there is something that is easy for that, then that would be great to know.

Thank you in advance for your help!
#2 of 4 Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM

www.mamatoto.org is a great place to start for wearing instructions and make-it-yourself instructions.

www.sleepingbaby.net also has a wonderful ring sling pattern that's simple to make and quite comfy.

and you can't beat www.thebabywearer.com for all things babywearing related -- there are a bunch of helpful articles, you might want to start there.

good luck!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 4 Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would suggest not making one unless you have really studied fabrics and the design you want. If you go to www.thebabywearer.com (as Quirky said) they have a ton of information. They do have a lot of how-to's, but like I said, you may just want to purchase a used one off of FSOT. There are a lot of different types of carriers.

For a 5 weeks old some love pouches and slings- others only use MT's (or other carriers.) I have had a 5lber in one of our MTs. In fact it was my little cousins who are twins and their mom (my cousin) and I both has a baby strapped to us! If you look at my blog in my siggy you will see some pics.

Also a good thing to know is if you buy a carrier off of the baby wearer and is a semi-known brand you should be able to sell it for what you paid (or close or more!) Carriers do not go down in value much!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#4 of 4 Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 AM

congrats on wanting to be a babywearer because, in no time, you'll be a pro.
as pps stated, thebabywearer has the most comprehensive info.

If I were you, I'd go with a wrap. Simple wrap like Moby or even a woven wrap (but those are a little more). Wraps are just wonderful for newborns and bfing. since you thought about making something, i'm assuming you know a little about fabrics and sewing. if you're confident, then make a wrap. Again, the DIY forum on tbw...kids are climbing on me. good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page