If you had to chose just ONE? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I'm new here and also a soon to be new mom. We're expecting our little girl March 11 and I can't wait!!! I have a question for the experienced baby carriers here.

If you had to chose just one carrier, what would it be?

I'm looking for the end all of all baby carriers. We are on a strict budget and will be able to only afford one moderately priced carrier (or 2 cheap ones under $30 each.) I would like something that is very versatile. Something that is suitable for both newborns and older infants. I have back problems and most likely won't be able to carry her much after 30 lbs. However, that's not an issue with DH, so something we both could use would be helpful. After some research, I'm thinking of either going with a wrap, mei tai-style, or a soft structured (ergo) carrier. I just can't decide, leaning towards the mei tai or ergo for simplicity, but the wrap for it's versatility. Are there any positions the wrap can do that the mei tai can't? What are the drawbacks to these types? Is it possible to nurse in either? I'm sorry I have so many questions, but I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Jaime ~ married to Chad, mommie to Elaine shamrocksmile.gif 03/17/08, 3rdtri.gif due 02/14/11 joy.gifHappy Valentines Day!

#2 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 AM

I would go with a long woven wrap - a Didymos in particular

You can hold your baby in every way possible with a long wrap, and they are more versatile than Meitais.

Edited to add: I have scoliosis and suffer from low back pain as well. Yet, with my wraps I can even carry my heavy 3yo for long periods of time
#3 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 AM

I second a wrap! I just got a MT for this new one, but I can't let you know how I like it until Feb .

I really love a wrap for a newborn because it spreads teh weight, and when they are a bit bigger they can face out for short periods which most babies love. There is definatly a learning curve, but it's very worth it IMO.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM

I think it'll be hard finding anything crazy decent for under $30 each. Id say, spend a bit more and get 1 thing thats mucho versitile.

Woven wraps are awesome-more carrying positions. Mei Tai's r nice too but not everyone likes them while wraps are more user friendly becos of the sheer number of ways to tie-and this is coming from someone who doesnt really like wraps but has other stuff.
LOL.

Another option.
Make your own wrap-6 yards of quality heavier weight gauze fabric, halve lengthwise and hem.
Voila!
And just use that.
#5 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM

I would choose the over the shoulder baby holder -- a padded sling.

granted it was my first, so i am most at ease with it -- and it was my only for 18 months. I STILL use it with my 24 month old -- and did even 9 months pregant last month.

I like it as it is a very fast on and off .... i have a mia tia and a moby and both are slower to get on and off .. the sling on and off and on and off is not too much of a hassle .... the others are.

I like it cuz it is one carier that can be worn in soooo many mays -- cradle either direction, facing in or facing out, on the hip ......and it is really easy to go from on psotions (say facing out, legs folded) to another -- crabled down asleep or nureing -- without taking the child out and starting over.

it is also easy to show another person or put on a newbie (aunt, grandma) .. and sis and i can exchange the sling from one to another with a sleeping child in it and not wake the child -- can't be done with a moby or mia tia.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM

i got two OTSBH -- one of Craigs list -- new -- for 1o bucks and my orginal one i bought new though LLL for 41 bucks.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#7 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 12:27 PM

I would definately choose my didymos

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

#8 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 PM

Just one would probably be a wrap for most people. For me an SSC 'cause I'm just so done with wraps.

But remember, Baby Carriers are Like Shoes!

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#9 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM

I would go with a good wrap. Chech out www.thebabywearer.com Lots of good info and you can find some great deals.
#10 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenSandoval View Post
But remember, Baby Carriers are Like Shoes!
Totally agree!
I thought I only needed one carrier and bought an Ergo. Only 2 weeks later, I found myself covertly ordering a Beco in the middle of the night. I have more carriers than shoes now.

I'd go with a SSC and a woven wrap. But like pp stated, finding each under $30 would be a challenge. Try the FSOT forum or put out an ISO at TBW.

Good luck and congrats!
#11 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM

I would have to pick my Babyhawk mei tai.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#12 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 PM

It depends on you. I would go to babywearer.com (link above) and ask this question, read about how to choose one, figure out which is best for you, and then try to find one in the for sale or trade section so you can get a used one for less. Or maybe 2!

Personally, for a newborn I liked my hotsling pouch and now I love my Ergo. My dd is 5 mos.
#13 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 PM

I think a wrap is more comfy than either a sling or mai-tai, but if you get a stretch cotton one it isn't good beyond about 20 to 25 lbs because it will stretch out too much. So we don't use ours anymore.

I was using my mai tai but just got an ergo and can't beleive how much better it distributes the weight.

I think the idea for an ez homemade wrap is wonderful, but would also then buy a ring sling. They are just super quick for running errands, groceries etc. Quick on and off and don't take up much room etc. The wrap really takes a few minutes to get on.
#14 of 25 Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM

I have made it to 6 months with only a padded ring sling, but i am now looking for something else. The sling is great and really versatile but i suggest a somethign that puts the weight on your torso more than your shoulders. Sorry that's all the help i can be but i thought i'd chime in

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#15 of 25 Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Long woven wrap, like Hoppediz.
#16 of 25 Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help! I did go to thebabywearer.com and just activated my account. I admit, I felt very overwhelmed when I first went to that site. There are just sooo many different kinds and brands of carriers, I had no idea. And to think, I thought that cloth diapers were overwhelming at first. Making the decision to purchase Indian pre-folds and covers seems like a breeze to picking a carrier! I'm glad I'm looking into this now and not after the baby comes, when I'm sleep deprived! I'd never make any sense of it. LOL!

Jaime ~ married to Chad, mommie to Elaine shamrocksmile.gif 03/17/08, 3rdtri.gif due 02/14/11 joy.gifHappy Valentines Day!

#17 of 25 Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 PM

A wrap like a Moby!! We love ours for comfort, style and versatility, and its the most affordable for your budget.
good luck!
#18 of 25 Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
Another option.
Make your own wrap-6 yards of quality heavier weight gauze fabric, halve lengthwise and hem.
Voila!
And just use that.
Oh that sounds like a very good idea! If I did that, do you have any good sites where I can print off directions with pictures for wrapping? I understand there's a learning curve, and that's ok with me, but I'm very visual and need pictures. Or did I read someone say something about a video?

#19 of 25 Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 AM

First, the one I used the most with a newborn. With a newborn you have the legs in though - the baby is like a little ball (like in the womb) : here

And then, more than you could ever dream about learning on wrapping!

Wrap Instruction Chart from TBW

Wrap instruction videos from TBW

Many wrapping instruction links
#20 of 25 Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 AM

I would agree with using a wrap. You could pick one up second hand on TBW if you have enough posts there to view the FSOT forum.
I think the issue for me with the OTSBH is that a lot of people ime get to the stage where one shoulder carries are impossible because of weight distribution. So personally I'd never recommend any kind of ring sling or pouch as an only carrier.
#21 of 25 Old 11-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I would have to pick my Babyhawk mei tai.
:
#22 of 25 Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 PM

Another wrap fan here. I use wraps exclusively, so I guess I have chosen just one type of carrier! They are versatile and I can comfortably carry both my three month old and my 2.5year old in a wrap. If I could only have one wrap, I would go with either a Didymos or a Storchenweige, both are very high quality, very supportive wraps.
#23 of 25 Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 PM

If I had to have only one, it would be a mai tei.

Check out the chunei though. It's new to the states, I've ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet.

Also, you can find carriers second-hand and make wraps. Carriers are like shoes and you can never have just one kind! I like my pouch too, but not for long use.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#24 of 25 Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 AM
PPK

DS seems to like the wrap more than the BH I just got, and I took Umm's advice and bought non-stretch gauze (I got a lighter weight because its so warm here).

I got a 50% off coupon from Jo-Ann fabrics and I got 5 yards for $15. I split it in two and I have 2 wraps for $7.50 each! You can get on JoAnn fabrics email list and they send you some great coupons for in-store use.

I never bothered to hem them or anything. Thanks Umm:
#25 of 25 Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM

A Didymos wrap. I looove mine and they're so great for little babies and front-carries. But when they're older you'll probably end up with a MT or a SSC for back carries. Although you can do them in a wrap if you're up to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page