Why is Ergo/Moby/Maya SO big on MDC? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Babywearing > Why is Ergo/Moby/Maya SO big on MDC?
UmmIbrahim's Avatar UmmIbrahim 11:59 AM 11-19-2007
Okay so...this is a random Query but it seems like 90% of the threads on here are about Ergo's, Moby's and Maya's (to a lesser degree)...or some Mei Tai's.

How come other carriers are rarely discussed or of more interested.
Its rare to see a post about anything than the above like a Onbuhimo, podaegi, woven wrap, other types of slings or other random stuff.

Hmmmm...?
Are these carriers just more "mainstream"...is that why?
*hmmmm*

Umm Ibi
:

TattooedMama's Avatar TattooedMama 01:06 PM 11-19-2007
I think so, I personally have a Patapum instead of an Ergo... :
It seems like those companies you mentioned are the "biggest" with the most WAHM's and online retailers carrying them. They do the most advertising.
UmmIbrahim's Avatar UmmIbrahim 04:53 PM 11-19-2007
Ah so true, so true...
I mean an Ergo isnt the ONLY SSC out there and a Moby quite frankly isnt that great of a wrap, considering you have to eventually buy one that wont stretch out w/ a heavier baby (esp when comparing them to a woven or gauze whicah can be used for all carry positions for all sized babies) and yes Mayas are nice but there r a bazillion other RSs out there...

NE way, i was just wondering about that becos its like almost every post is about the above carriers...
maymorales's Avatar maymorales 05:51 PM 11-19-2007
Definitely, there are more to Ergo/Moby/Maya.
I think those are all good starting points. like pp said, it's more appealing to the mainstream audience. thus, more sales. Plus, Ergo, for instance, has been at it for some time. so they've built a solid finance. So the Chunei, for example, may give it a good run for its $ but when you don't have a conglomerate running advertising, you just don't have the revenues to complete with the big dawgs.

But that's how Ergo's and Moby's started. Small. At least that's what I've been told.
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 06:30 PM 11-19-2007
Ergo, Moby, Maya are the ones you hear more about here on MDC, followed by Kozy, Baby Hawk and Hotslings

That's why I like to bring up links to different carriers as much as possible, or to let people know about TBW

Really people: the amount of choice available when it comes to carriers is mind boggling!! There is something for everybody's tastes, body shapes and needs!!
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 08:17 PM 11-19-2007
Some people don't want a zillion different choices.

Some want to be able to buy in the store.

There will always be more people buying the big names, or they wouldn't be the big names.

Other than some ethical problems that come with being big, there's nothing wrong with any of the carriers mentioned. At least people are babywearing, in something more comfortable than a Snugli!
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 08:30 PM 11-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Other than some ethical problems that come with being big, there's nothing wrong with any of the carriers mentioned. At least people are babywearing, in something more comfortable than a Snugli!
Definitely!! My only point is that I have read several posts by people saying that babywearing is just not for them because their Maya is not comfy any more or their Nojo seems to hang so low - and they really don't know that there are other options. That's why it can be helpful to bring up the name of other brands
Pariah's Avatar Pariah 08:45 PM 11-19-2007
We have two Over the Shoulder Baby Holder slings...work fine for us, and they were really inexpensive. I don't usually come to this forum because we have those and they work perfectly for us. But yeah...probably just because they're the bigger companies with more advertising and word of mouth sales.
Googy's Avatar Googy 02:19 AM 11-20-2007
I think there's a little more to it...

Baby carriers aren't cheap. A lot of women on this board can't afford to be "collectors" who have a full selection of everything there is to have out there. They have to do a lot of research, read a lot of reviews, and buy only one or two to stay inside their budget.

Mobys have fabulous reviews both here and at TBW for soothing finicky, tiny babies, they are very cheap compared to other wraps, and they are easier to use than the much more expensive woven wraps. So, the Moby seems like a safe, economical, and practical choice for the little ones.

Then women want a carrier to use after the newborn stage, and again, Mayas and Ergos offer lots of great reviews and many dedicated supporters. Again, a safe and reliable choice for someone on a budget who cannot buy tons of carriers.

Personally, I would love to try onbuhimos, chuneis, etc. (not to mention try a Sakura Bloom or P-Sling or other ultra-luxury RS), and have read about them extensively on TBW and such, but I cannot afford them. I cannot spend thousands of dollars collecting all of these fabulous carriers. I need a small number of carriers that are well-reviewed and easy to use, safe buys that will not risk being a waste of my limited funds. I don't need to prove myself to anyone by having a different or unusual carrier, I just needs something that works.

Does that make sense???
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 02:33 AM 11-20-2007
Yes, that makes perfect sense.
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 07:54 AM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googy View Post
I don't need to prove myself to anyone by having a different or unusual carrier, I just needs something that works.

Does that make sense???
I don't think people are saying anybody needs a collection! And if you are going to have 1 carrier, isn't it better to have something that really works for you.

When I started with baby #3, I came here to MDC for guidance. I bought a major sling that I was 100% sure would be a safe and reliable choice. Well, I was wrong - and then I quit BW. I really did not know there were more options.

With baby #4, I decided to try again. People mentioned a couple of other choices, so I sold my old sling and got one of them. Again, did not work. But instead of giving up, I asked for more opinions here and on TBW and went on trading and selling the bad ones to get a good one, until I found a carrier that really worked for me.

As time went by and I realized that it would be very helpful to have different options for different circumstances, I kept a few of the carriers I was trying. And that's how I ended up with a "collection" And no, it was not because I needed to "prove myself to anyone by having a different or unusual carrier" : Oh, and by the way, I don't have money coming out of my ears either, on the contrary: 4.5 kids, single income household and DH with a modest job. I just don't spend much money AT ALL on clothes, shoes, make up. They are not important to me and you would be amazed what a great carrier you can get for the price of a nice shirt... (specially if you buy used) It all comes down to what you prefer spending money on and whether it is important to you And guess what? In the end I can sell them all anyway and get a lot of your money back. Better resale than cloth diapers!

Honestly, the most important thing is that the parent finds the PERFECT carrier for them. Just because something is mentioned again and again, it does not make it a perfect choice. Give me a SPOC any day over the "fool proof" Mayas, Nojos and OTSBHs. I am sure that they work for many people, but they were terrible for me. I just wishes I knew better than.

P.S. Returning useless mainstream baby items one gets in showers is another GREAT way to fund nice carriers
UmmIbrahim's Avatar UmmIbrahim 10:17 AM 11-20-2007
Hmmm... its interesting to read some of the replies as to why the "BIG THREE" are soooo BIG on MDC.

I guess my big thing and this is going to mimic what the PP just said is that, okay like I know a Maya, Ergo and a Moby are pretty "safe" like alot of people rave about them...but atleast for me and I know others would agree that just becos they are popular and considered "fool proof" doesnt mean they are going to work the best for you. Honestly, ive used a Maya and while I really really like the LP I dont like how the fabric isnt that supportive and constant readjustment as it stretches out is necessary, or how an Ergo is rather bulky-even when compared to a Patapum, or a Moby beyond about 15lbs wont be that useful. I know i'm just me and not anyone else, but ive tried all that stuff and I know I cant be the ONLY one out there who wasnt that thrilled w/ them.

basically im just saying that it would be nice to see more interest in OTHER tried and true carriers which arent the "biggies" on this board. As much as I love this board it does get a BIT tedious always seeing Moby this and Moby that or Ergo this and Ergo that. I know some of us try to post about different stuff but I feel the interest is slim to nill.
My recent beibei post got little interest ...which surprised me becos honestly a beibei is SO comfortable and isnt that expensive (granted all I showed was a heavy winter velvet one...but still...no discussion...)
And a BeiBei unlike some other more expensive carriers is very user friendly and isnt hard at all to use.

But, c'est le vie...to each her own. I hope I dont come off as sounding self-righteous or something, like the PP i dont have money coming out of my ears, both dh and I are students and while I do have decent babycarrier stash 80% of them are carriers that I dont reach for often, just got to try and see wether I liked them but dont want to part w/ them becos I do sometimes use them. But what I dont eventually use or dont like I sell and fund a new carrier to try to see how much I like it...
Thats how I got my chunei that I love. dh loves his patapum, i dont really like the waist belt but like how buckles are sooo much easier than knots and all that...and it was by selling something and kinda taking a risk and having an interest in trying something else that I found something that works better for me.
Its just, id wish there was more interest in trying other stuff...becos as other posts said, an XYZ carrier wont work for every *body* but something else may.

Okay, i'll get off my podium, seriously, I hope I dont come off in a bad way becos that NOT what I intended by this post/thread its just a observation on my end. So pls no flame PM's
pixiepunk's Avatar pixiepunk 04:28 PM 11-20-2007
i do think a lot of people don't realize there are other options. just like some people don't know there's anything but a Snugli/Bjorn out there. they are the ones with the biggest names and are mass-marketed. easiest therefore to register for, or to buy/return easily.

and there are lots of levels of babywearing. some only wear newborns/small babies, and honestly when they're teenie and don't weigh much, almost anything is going to be OK, especially if you're not wearing them a ton. not everyone expects the same level of performance out of their carriers. lots of people love their Bjorns, ya know? with a 10 pound baby when you're going through the grocery store for 20 minutes, they're really not too bad.

a good friend of mine loved her OTSBH. she about fainted when i let her try my home-made SSC, though. she had no idea wearing her older baby could be so much more comfortable. but for what she used it for, and the amount she used it, the OTSBH was perfectly adequate.

another friend was blissfully happy with her old-style unpadded maya. it was the only carrier she had, and she only used if her baby was fussy and wouldn't be put down, and stopped using it when her kids were on the move.

i battled with myself about whether to give some friends of mine an UBW that i had tried and not liked. i decided to give it to them, because they didn't babywear at all with their first, but were interested, and i had zero money and no other extra carriers at the time to give them. well, i also made them a fleece pouch (baby born in December). anyway, they *loved* it and passed it along to another friend who was having a second baby and didn't babywear with their first. they probably didn't use it as much as i did, or expect as much out of it because they had nothing to compare it to. but it helped them have a free hand, and to comfort their baby when they needed to, and it made them very happy.

so while i know these carriers don't work for everyone (i personally didn't like any of the names you mentioned that i tried in the past) they are adequate for a lot of people and their limited babywearing needs. i needed something more 'high performance' because i wore my kids *a lot* and what might be perfectly comfy for running in and out of the store or the occasional festival is not necessarily going to be comfy when your baby naps on your back 2x a day, and the majority of your house cleaning happens with baby on you, kwim?
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 04:40 PM 11-20-2007
prettypixel has lots of good points, too.

Just a comment on the "returning mainstream stuff for funds" - it doesn't always work. I returned no less than $150 worth of crap to a Carter's Outlet - and have a $150 gift card sitting in my wallet that technically I'm not allowed to sell and I'm NEVER EVER EVER going to use. I would love to be able to trade that for a Maya Tie or a PiP pouch or a SSC (haven't decided which one I'm lusting over yet ), but no. I have a piece of paper worth $150 of crap and a complete lack of money to spend on funding a new carrier.
kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 04:47 PM 11-20-2007
Quote:

Baby carriers aren't cheap. A lot of women on this board can't afford to be "collectors" who have a full selection of everything there is to have out there. They have to do a lot of research, read a lot of reviews, and buy only one or two to stay inside their budget.

Mobys have fabulous reviews both here and at TBW for soothing finicky, tiny babies, they are very cheap compared to other wraps, and they are easier to use than the much more expensive woven wraps. So, the Moby seems like a safe, economical, and practical choice for the little ones.

Then women want a carrier to use after the newborn stage, and again, Mayas and Ergos offer lots of great reviews and many dedicated supporters. Again, a safe and reliable choice for someone on a budget who cannot buy tons of carriers.

Personally, I would love to try onbuhimos, chuneis, etc. (not to mention try a Sakura Bloom or P-Sling or other ultra-luxury RS), and have read about them extensively on TBW and such, but I cannot afford them. I cannot spend thousands of dollars collecting all of these fabulous carriers. I need a small number of carriers that are well-reviewed and easy to use, safe buys that will not risk being a waste of my limited funds. I don't need to prove myself to anyone by having a different or unusual carrier, I just needs something that works.

Does that make sense???
:

I had a patapum. Now I just bought a Moby and a Peanut shell. I had no idea Moby was big or "mainstream". I was just told they were awesome, and they fit my price range used.
Twinklefae's Avatar Twinklefae 04:48 PM 11-20-2007
Quote:

Does that make sense???
: I agree with every word of this. And I don't mean it to be snotty either, everyone has different priorities. I'd much prefer two haircuts to a new carrier. : And that's okay.

When I bought my Maya I agonized for WEEKS. Other than diapers it was literally the most expensive thing I bought for baby, and one of very few things that was bought new. I DID go to TBW, but it's hard to "get in" there, unless you lurk for days, and honestly, I'm just not that intersted. I go to TBW for help and that's about it.

Also, I think it's easier to get the popular carriers in Brick and Mortar stores. I much prefer being able to touch things, look at them, put them back and come back another day.

And honestly, if those of you with expertise in other carriers want to interest the rest of us in them, include links to stores that sell them, cuz I don't even know where to buy a podaegi.

It is neat to read about all the different kinds of carriers, I am just too timid and too broke to try anything but the classics. If they didn't work, I would try somthing else.
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 05:33 PM 11-20-2007
Well, at least Googy toned down her post by removing comments such as "I dont have to prove myself to anyone by having a different or unusual carrier"
I just dont want people to think I was "irked" for no reason on my previous post.
As I said earlier, it all comes down to your needs and priorities - not about showing off.
I wish this was not implied so often here on MDC...
skueppers's Avatar skueppers 06:11 PM 11-20-2007
I suspect part of it is because, aside from the fact that people are more likely to have one of the "major" carriers, and so are more likely to have questions about them, it's also the case that potential respondents to a thread are more likely to have one and be able to provide some useful feedback.

If there are only five people on MDC who have a particular carrier at all, it's a lot less likely to generate any substantial amount of discussion, as compared to one owned by hundreds of MDC members.

I have an Ergo. I bought it because it's a safe choice -- I felt reasonably confident that it would work out for me, since it seems to work for so many other people. I'm sure there's something out there that would be even better for me, but the Ergo is fine, so I'm not motivated to seek out whatever it is that might be better. I'm definitely not motivated to shell out another $75 - $100 for whatever it is, either!
UmmIbrahim's Avatar UmmIbrahim 07:04 PM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Well, at least Googy toned down her post by removing comments such as "I dont have to prove myself to anyone by having a different or unusual carrier"
I just dont want people to think I was "irked" for no reason on my previous post.
As I said earlier, it all comes down to your needs and priorities - not about showing off.
I wish this was not implied so often here on MDC...

Speaking of which...I was at our local babywearing groups meeting today and me and another mom who have a wide assortment of carriers were discussing this and its true, some people do think if you have more than 1 or 2 you are showing off or trying to look like your wealthier or something. Or don't "get it".
But we kinda came to the same conclusion that its not that at all...its more like certain carriers are better for certain situations.
Most of us dont own 1 pair of shoes, most probably own about 3 or more pairs, one for running around, 1 for comfy shleps around and 1 for dressy occasions...its like that w/ carriers...1 is good for snuggles, 1 is good for easy on and off, etc etc etc...

I also think that the viewpoint of some people here that having a stash = showing off is kinda the fact that MDC is sorta crunchy and it seems like there is more of an emphasis on simplicity on this board. I donno wether im right since dont go into other forums on here too much. It just appears that way.

NE way.
p.s. I tried a Sakura bloom today-finally! And oh man...it made me re-evaluate my Psling obsession *gulp*
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 07:19 PM 11-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
I also think that the viewpoint of some people here that having a stash = showing off is kinda the fact that MDC is sorta crunchy and it seems like there is more of an emphasis on simplicity on this board.
Yep, probably. But then again, have you paid a visit to MDC's diapering area!

About critical comments: We were at a parenting meeting once, and this one mom made such awful critical remarks about the fact I had a Didymos. She just saw we were the biggest idiots and/or snobs for having spent so much money in a piece of cloth... Well, somebody offered to lend her one: let's just say she apologized profusely the next time we met. She had never tried anything comfier and had now saved to get one herself...
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 09:13 PM 11-20-2007
Let's keep this thread to understanding different view points and avoid judgements. Babywearing serves a different purpose for different people. Criticizing others view points (on either side) is not helpful and can even fall under part of the UA
Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Thank You

UmmIbrahim's Avatar UmmIbrahim 10:09 PM 11-20-2007
I think sofar this thread has been quite interesting and noone has said anything rude or anything...
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 10:38 PM 11-20-2007
If there are concerns or questions about this or anything else fell free to pm
Googy's Avatar Googy 01:30 AM 11-21-2007
I did not mean to be offensive in any way in my post. I was just trying to answer UmmIbrahim's question openly and honestly. And I never took anything out of my post, either, by the way--the only editing done was for a typo.

As I said previously, I think its AWESOME to have an array of carriers. What a great opportunity to try different things out and see what's best for you! I really wasn't trying to criticize anyone. I was just trying to say that some don't have that option, and when finds are limited it really is safest to buy something you can either try on at a brick-and-mortar store or something that is very extensively reviewed online. Its just too risky for someone in my position to buy something different just to have something different, when there is so little info available about it in comparison. Yes, you can resell, but you never get ALL of your money back, you know?
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 01:38 AM 11-21-2007
The brick and mortar question is part of why I don't have a SSC. There are just too many options, and unlike the less structured mei tais and wraps, there's a much smaller comfortable fit range. And I don't have the money to buy and try and return/resell if it doesn't work, even if I did have the money to buy one.

I still dream of having one of every major type, though. Le sigh!
Quindin's Avatar Quindin 05:18 AM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
Let's keep this thread to understanding different view points and avoid judgements. Babywearing serves a different purpose for different people. Criticizing others view points (on either side) is not helpful and can even fall under part of the UA

Thank You
Of course! Totally agee!!
I was not criticizing any side
As I said in my post, whatever people find that works for them is wonderful! I had a Bjorn with my first two, and for the little while I was able to use it, I was happy as a clam. I wish I knew there were more options, because then I would have been able to wear my babies for more than 2 mos...
I was explaining that I personally like, for myself, to have more than one. FOR ME, it is useful and important to have more tha

Quote:
I did not mean to be offensive in any way in my post. I was just trying to answer UmmIbrahim's question openly and honestly. And I never took anything out of my post, either, by the way--the only editing done was for a typo.
Well, the sentence I quoted was straight from your original post... (I should have used the QUOTE option, I now realize...) But it does not matter anymore. It is all good.

I am bowing out of this thread. There are some awesome points here though!!
The main thing is that more mamas find out about BW - whichever carrier they choose to get or make!!
Googy's Avatar Googy 05:59 AM 11-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Well, the sentence I quoted was straight from your original post... (I should have used the QUOTE option, I now realize...) But it does not matter anymore. It is all good.
I know, the sentence in question is still in my post, it was never removed. I was confused as to why you thought it was.

I'm sorry you are bowing out of this. I think its really interesting to hear different people's opinions and experiences in discovering babywearing, and hearing what works best for them. Where I live I hardly ever see anyone wearing their babies in anything but a Bjorn/Snugli, so its great to have a chance to dialogue on this topic with women from alll over!

I never said or meant to imply that people were "showing off" by having a lot of carriers. Again, as I said before, I think its awesome if you can have a wide assortment and be able to try them all out for yourself, and even more awesome if you are able to share your experiences with other mamas, like UmmIbrahim does in her blog. All I was trying to say is that the purchase of a Moby/Maya/Ergo is not necessarily an attempt to be closed-minded or mainstream, but rather an attempt to make a wise decision in the face of financial restriction.
finn'smama's Avatar finn'smama 12:36 PM 11-21-2007
Quote:
...the purchase of a Moby/Maya/Ergo is not necessarily an attempt to be closed-minded or mainstream, but rather an attempt to make a wise decision in the face of financial restriction.
Ita, but it could also be that one of those just works the best. I have an Ergo because it's comfy. I bought it after I tried many carriers, not all of which were "mainstream". I don't feel the need to get something more obscure, because, well, I like my Ergo.
A
pixiepunk's Avatar pixiepunk 01:35 PM 11-21-2007
Arwyn - do you sew at all? I made myself a fab SSC that I actually love more than any of the other SSC's i've tried because i made it with all the exact features i wanted. there are directions on the yahoo group for sewing baby carriers (can't remember what it's called now) that are for a pseudo-ergo, and i manipulated those to my liking. i used an old yoga mat for the waist padding and shoulders (wrapped in fleece for the shoulders) and spend probably $15 on fabric and another $10 on buckles and webbing. you aren't going to find a SSC for that price, that's for sure!

sorry that's a bit OT... but i have found that sewing up my own is a great alternative to spending loads of money trying out different kinds. the investment of $$ is so much less (well, unless you go berzerk on fabric!), i enjoy the sewing so it doesn't feel like work, and i can tweak the design as needed - so if i don't like the angle of the shoulders, i just change them. if i want more padding or less, or a longer body or a shorter body or whatever, i just make it that way. it's given me the opportunity to have a lot more variety of carriers to choose from on an extremely tight budget

another option (that i know isn't available to everyone) is to go to a babywearing group meeting. there are tons of different types of carriers, often a lending library, so you can try before you buy. gives you the opportunity to sample a lot of different styles to see what works for you before you buy. like a brick and mortar store, with way more choices and no pressure
YummyYarnAddict's Avatar YummyYarnAddict 02:58 PM 11-21-2007
I find this interesting because I always thought of it as regional. In my neighborhood in Chicago, the more mainstream moms/families used Snuglis or Baby Bjorns while the more "crunchy" moms/families use Girasol, Didymos, or Storchenwiege baby carry scarves. We also don't use the phrase "babywearing" and say "baby carrying". The phrase "babywearing" sounds so ODD to me because children aren't clothing or accessories. Most have some type of ring sling for convenience. I tried the OTSBH and it wasn't for me so I gave two away and I had a couple of Maya wraps which I also gave away as the short Girasols work fine for my purposes.

I do own about 7 baby carry scarves and most of them are Girasol, one was made for me by a friend which was the first I owned, and I have a Didy and a Storchenwiege. I've seen Ergos and other carriers while traveling and visiting friends in other cities, but, again, I always thought they were regional. Go figure...
1 2 

Up