Can I transform a sari into a carrier of some kind? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a beautiful silk sari with a complex gold border that my grandmother bought in India and gave to me when I was 12. It is the most beautiful sky blue color, but has fade marks because I used it as a window scarf in college. :

I've worn it as a sari a few times, but the opportunities for doing this are fairly rare these days, and I'd love to find a way to use this beautiful fabric more often. The workmanship is gorgeous. I bought a few saris myself when I was in India for a few days, but didn't have the resources to find or buy anything as lovely as this one at that time. The fabric is a pretty tight weave/high thread count, not gauzy at all. Very little stretch.

How can I use this as a carrier? Would it work as just a plain old wrap (if cut to size?). Could I make it into a ring sling with some sling-strength rings? The fabric seems kind of slippery for that. Should I pad it in any way?

Any suggestions welcome!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 01:06 PM

i would think you should be able to use it as a maya at the very least. im sure others will have other ideas though.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
i would think you should be able to use it as a maya at the very least. im sure others will have other ideas though.
Do you mean have it transformed into a ring sling becos a "maya" is short for "maya wrap rs" which is a brand name.

yes it might work for a ring sling dept on texture and thickness.
Might work even as a wrap, but again, depends on texture and thickness.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Silk makes an excellent ring sling! Depending on how much fabric you have, you may be able to do more than one thing with it. What are the dimensions?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Don't Indian women use their saris directly to carry their babies, or am I mistaken on that? Because it would be nice if you could try to use it as a carrier without altering it in any way. Probably something like a wrap.

It would probably make a really pretty ring sling too though.

Sorry I'm no help.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 11-30-2007, 07:48 PM

Depending on how thick it is, you could make a two layer ring sling. Or if you want to cut it, it could be the panel on a MT.

Sounds beautiful!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Just be sure the fabric is sound first. Sun and age can damage fabric. You could use it for a decoraive front panel on a MT (w/ sturdy canvas behind it).
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mm, I'm interested in this too. It's impossible to buy wraps in my town--they only sell a very limited collection of the really structured carriers like the Ergo--but there's a store which has gorgeous panels of fabric. I don't think they're saris, some of them are scarves and some of them are thick shawls, and some of them I have no idea. But they have the most luscious colours. I was wondering if they'd be sturdy enough for a smallish baby, at least.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken, there's a whole discussion about this on the babywearer forums. Would it be breaking the UA to direct people there? I'm never sure how that works.

Short answer--yes. You could totally make a wrap out of a sari.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Don't Indian women use their saris directly to carry their babies, or am I mistaken on that? Because it would be nice if you could try to use it as a carrier without altering it in any way. Probably something like a wrap.

It would probably make a really pretty ring sling too though.

Sorry I'm no help.
Hate to be a downer...but not usually.
Maybe in very rural areas the women would use a piece of cloth (SPOC) as a carrier but generally...no. Maybe pre-colonialism they did. *hmmm*

Its kinda like Iran, only very very rural women (and usually elderly at that!) still use their chadors to carry a baby in, its kinda *duh* obvious to do so, but the vast majority of women would rather carry a child in arms than use their chador to help carry their child. (its considered uncool and old fashioned to do otherwise!)
Old 12-01-2007, 01:44 AM

I've seen my friend's mom do it w/her sari. It's sort of like the way the Mexican women do it with a Rebozo. They don't tie it, just wrap it around the baby in opposing directions. I'm sure TBW traditional babywearing forum would have something.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 AM

I've seen my friend's mom do it w/her sari. It's sort of like the way the Mexican women do it with a Rebozo. They don't tie it, just wrap it around the baby in opposing directions. I'm sure TBW traditional babywearing forum would have something. but note: i've only seen it done w/very very young babies.
sorry, what in the world is wrong w/my computer? double post.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:57 AM

I hope I am remembering this correctly. Some I read on mamatoto like 3+ years ago and some I got from private conversations with Tracy (creator of that site). No, it doesn't seem that Indian women use saris for babywearing. But yes, you definitely can use them for babywearing. I bought both silk and cotton saris on sarisafari.com. Beautiful. The cotton ones can be quite inexpensive and can be whisper thin - great in hot weather but some don't like thin wraps. I do. They require a lot lot of washing as they have crazy starch. I had to wash them a ridiculous number of times. I am pretty sure the cotton ones weren't hemmed. The silk was lovely. I would never attempt a back carry in silk; too slippery. But it felt super elegant for a cool evening out and had the added bonus of being a gorgeous dressy wrap when I wasn't wearing the baby (when my BIL took my girl around to use her as a chick magnet - there is something vaguely disturbing about that.)

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 AM

i must have seen exception of the case, then. my friend's mom had a baby when we were in high school. there were 9 siblings. the baby was the 10th one. maybe she did something different with this new baby.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 AM

I'd love to be corrected! They just are so lovely for babywearing!

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 AM

there's an idea! someone should make rs that look like saris!
my own dh takes our ds as a 'chick magnet' that's probably disturbing on a whole different level!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the replies! I don't know the exact length of the sari , but like your typical sari it is quite quite long. I could probably get two ring slings out of it. Or the end panel could be made into at least two padded carrier backs.

Good point about the fading. I think that it is just the color that has faded, though. The silk is still quite strong. It just looks a bit tie-dyed. I so wish I had kept it in a dark closet all these years: the original blue was so beautiful.

I'm going to post pics shortly.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 PM

The sari should be about 7 yards, 9 if a wedding sari. Width is 45" (plus?)

You could double it and make a ring sling, I believe.

User Tag List