Baby wearing- what's your favorite - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 8 week old babe. He loves to be held and carried. I have the bjorn (which I love), but he is already 13 lbs and starting to get heavy. Any other recomendations, especially for a back carrier. I would love to hear your favorites.
#2 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Ergo Ergo Ergo!
#3 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM

I love MT's...my fave is Kozy. www.kozycarrier.com

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#4 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 PM

i really love my hotsling.
#5 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Wrapper here, I love how snuggly a wrap can be.

A great place to check out for babywearing is thebabywearer.com lots of great info there. There is also a babywearing section here. Good luck finding the right carrier for you, they really are so much fun.
#6 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Wraps for little ones, MT for bigger ones!
#7 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 PM

I have a couple of home made mei tais and I loved those for when my baby was smaller (like 13 pounds) but now that he is heavier (22+) I love my Ergo.

Also, I made the mei tais, so they were pretty cheap and exactly what I wanted.

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#8 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 PM

I know it's not popular in AP circles, for reasons I don't fully understand, but both my girls loved, loved, loved the Snugli, and I found it very comfortable for long periods. The kind I have can be converted into a back carrier. It's nice it can be adjusted for either DH or me.

I also have a Lucky Baby sling that I like a lot.
#9 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Babywearing

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but we've had them all & our favorite is the Bjorn Active. :
#11 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM

Lol...notice all the recs for the Mothering biggies...Hotsling, Ergo...LOL

There r a ton of carriers out there...just think about what you want.
Do you want a Mei Tai? Narrow Podaegi? Onbuhimo? wide podaegi? Chunei? SSC? Woven wrap,

fyi...probably the MOST versitle is a woven wrap...good for all ages and all sizes...like a Didy, Hoppeidz, etc...
#12 of 31 Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 PM

my Beco is my favorite so far; I have used a wrap, bjorn, hotsling, MT...
#13 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 AM

i luv babywearing...... glad you have found the interest too!

i also recommend the babywearer.com

my fav as a beginner was a ring sling.... just easy to use.

my fav all around is a long german woven wrap. i like the storchenwiege (storch) the best, especially the leo natural. i would recommend a storch or didymos (didy) in a color that you like.

Maried Mommy to 6yr old DD, and 3yr old DS.   I am currently expecting a baby due at the end of July or early Aug of 2013 and looking forward to another successful VBAC.   I really enjoy babywearing and breastfeeding and would describe myself as a somewhat crunchy Momma 

#14 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM

My FAVORITE carrier (don't have one) is the Chunei! I just love the podegi type of a carrier. I have 3 other kids that are walking and running, and having a LO on my back is the greatest joy I have found.

I also am a HUGE GypsyMama Wrap supporter, they are awesome for when babies are little and cuddely. I also love the BBS for when I'm shopping and running around in a store.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#15 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlumpkin View Post
I have a couple of home made mei tais and I loved those for when my baby was smaller (like 13 pounds) but now that he is heavier (22+) I love my Ergo.

Also, I made the mei tais, so they were pretty cheap and exactly what I wanted.
I bought a meitai after having tried a nojo sling, and a hip hammock. How do you make a meitai? Can I have instuctions? (I'll trade you a few recipes for it!)

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#16 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM

if you go on the DIY forum of TBW (thebabywearer.com), there are lots of tips and such. I know of a great buckle tie, a Mei Tai hybrid with buckle shoulder. Then there's sleepingbaby.net

awesome DIY patterns and instructions.
#17 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 AM

I love my Hotsling, but also both the BabyHawk and Ellaroo meitais.

I did love my Bjorn when DD was wee, but I didn't know as much about the world of slings and carriers. DH still uses it occassionally with DS though (he says he's seen other fathers wearing them, so it's ok, but won't wear any others in public).

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#18 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Depending on the age
newborn, KKAFP, MT
3-6 baby bjorn, yes i like it
6+ ergo, maya wrap sling, wise woman sling, ellaroo mei hip, Napsack MT
#19 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 12:55 PM

since you asked specifically about back carries, i would say a mei tai or a SSC would be the way to go, definitely. i'm pretty much an exclusive back carry mama except for when they're wee tiny (and really, i do it even then, just not exclusively), and use mostly mei tai's with the under 25 pound set and SSC's with babies once they get heavier than that.

there are loads of links to DIY instructions on the DIY forum at thebabywearer.com and there's also a yahoo group for folks who make baby carriers and there are some files there that i found helpful. there's a good SSC one IIRC.

if you sew at all, a mei tai really isn't that hard. i've made several. i tested the waters making a few ring slings and pouches, but since i prefer mei tais and SSC's, that's mostly what i make for myself now when i want to make something new. any easy first mei tai would be one like the BBO that has wide unpadded straps. there's loads of folks who've been making them over at thebabywearer, lots of threads with tips and pictures for inspiration. i personally prefer padding in the straps, but i tried a BBO with an almost 30 pounder last year and it was quite comfy. once you have that one under your belt you can always do another and try it with padding if you want to
#20 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 01:33 PM

I like the MT. I haven't had good luck with structured carriers, I keep trying but so far the MT is the best for me.
#21 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 02:30 PM

I (& my babe) LOVE my gypsy mama bali breeze, so snuggli and secure!
#22 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM

My favorites are woven wraps like Didymos and Storches

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this, but we've had them all & our favorite is the Bjorn Active. :
No flames at all!
I used to be a BabyBjorn user with my first 2 babies before I knew about other carriers.

I am wondering though what age your baby is and what you have tried so far.
Oh, also how long do you wear your baby per time?
#23 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM

For back carries with a heavy baby I am really loving my mei tais-- The two known brands I have tried are Babyhawk and Ellaroo. Both are insanely comfortable and make my son feel like he weighs so much less (he's around 22 pounds?) I think the babyhawk works a little better for younger babies because of the head rest. There are a lot of different styles out there-- tbw has a great review section!
#24 of 31 Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk
since you asked specifically about back carries, i would say a mei tai or a SSC would be the way to go, definitely. i'm pretty much an exclusive back carry mama except for when they're wee tiny (and really, i do it even then, just not exclusively), and use mostly mei tai's with the under 25 pound set and SSC's with babies once they get heavier than that.

ITA. I'll go one step further and say that I love a tall-bodied MT for the smaller babies, because of the great back/head support it provides. Short-bodied MTs, IMO, are better for bigger kids who won't be napping in the carrier and don't need so much upper body/head support. You can always roll the bottom of a tall-bodied MT to make it shorter, but you can't make a short-bodied MT taller!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#25 of 31 Old 12-06-2007, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a nearly 10wk old, and given that your babe is 8 weeks, I don't really think an SSC (Ergo, Beco, etc) would work that well for a back carry. I could be wrong, not having tried it, : but I've done a lot of back carrying in my Ergo and it's harder when they're smaller.

I asked for advice on TBW on getting a woven wrap or mei tai for back carries for an infant, and the overwhelming response was a wrap. I currently have one woven wrap that I'm using for it and it works very well! A little learning curve, but not too bad - I tried it maybe 3 times before I got it. What I've got is a Vatanai striped wrap, the first woven I've really used. Very light and airy yet supportive. Though I haven't got much to compare to! There are several carries you can do on your back with a wrap - TBW is really a great resource for info on those!

I just got a BH and haven't tried a back carry with it yet. At first when trying the wrap I thought for sure a Mei Tai would make more sense, but now that I've figured out the wrap, I can't see how I'd do it with a Mei Tai!

Other than back carries I love... well, all of my carriers! I have a pouch (Mamma's Milk) that I use for quick in and out types of carries, but can wear for quite a while, too. I use the Hug-a-Bub stretchy wrap for longer carries when I want more weight distribution and ease of moving both arms. And now I have the BH which I wore for 2 hours today with no problems, and the woven which I'm still getting used to for back carries. I think they all have their own special use and love them each for different reasons!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#26 of 31 Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 PM

For that age it's an unpadded ring sling (I use a Zolowear, but there are many good ones out there) and when he gets older and you have to wear him for longer periods of time I love the Ergo. I just wore my 15 month old son for 3 hours in the Ergo and wasn't sore or tired at all (and I'm pregnant and due in Jan!)
#27 of 31 Old 12-08-2007, 01:34 AM

A chunei! it us seriously easy, comfy, secure and cuddly for both front and back carries

my second choice is a mei tai

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#28 of 31 Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 AM

definitely my ERGO!!
#29 of 31 Old 12-08-2007, 02:28 AM

I have two DIY wraps that cost me $15 at the fabric store. I'm large bosomed and have found I have less back pain when I where DD (14 lbs) on the front bc the wrap helps hold up the girls too I went to the local Ren Faire and walked around for 8 hours wearing DD with no problems.
#30 of 31 Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 AM

Think there's a time and place for everything. Overall, my hotsling is my fav. I used it when my youngest was a brand newborn, then we moved to an ellaroo MT for a while, but now we are back to the hotsling. I honestly think my main reason for preferring it is that it is quick to get on. I have a 2 year old and and 8 month old and I don't have time to be wrapping myself up in a moby or getting everything adjusted right on a ring sling. I sometimes drive with my hotsling on and just drop him in when we get where we're going...LOL :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page