Wearing from birth -- reassure me! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new Moby is all washed and ready to go, but I'm still a bit nervous about wearing my newborn (due any day now!) from birth. I'd love to hear from others about how soon you started wearing your newborn, and in what positions -- particularly in the Moby. (I also own a Hotsling and a Kozy.)

I didn't start wearing DS#1 until he was about 3 months old (although I held him practically all the time , so I'm new at this!

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#2 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 AM

Well, I just got a Moby and haven't used it, so no advice there...but I wore DD from day 1 in the Hotsling. (Terrific for nursing!) And Kozy happens to be my absolute FAVE! You have some great carriers there...it will be great! Good luck & congrats!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 AM

At two days old we put DS in our Maya wrap sling and headed out to the doctors. We wore him in snuggle hold, as he didn't like cradle.

I had mtivation to figure this out, at the time we lived up 6 flights of stairs, and I was scared someone would drop him!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#4 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM

stretchy wraps like the moby are awesome for the newborn period. and with another little one to chase after, you'll have a compelling reason to have your newborn someplace secure with your hands free so i'm sure you'll figure it out in no time.

you might want to try practicing with a stuffed animal or a doll so you have the basics of getting wrap on and snug before you have to do it for real.

the most awesome thing with a stretchy wrap is you really only have to tie it on once and then just pop the baby in and out as you need to. you might need to snug it up a bit after a while if it's feeling droopy, but you shouldn't need to completely retie it.

as for positions, babies are all different as far as what they like and don't, so you might just need to experiment a little with the baby once born to see what works best.
#5 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 AM

I wore my baby the day after birth in my hotsling type sling.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM

I was out of bed six hours after my section, wearing my baby in her KKAFP. She didn't get out of it for two months.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#7 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 12:06 PM

There is nothing better than a newborn in a stretchy wrap!
#8 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 PM

I want to tag along - what are some good resources (websites, books videos) for learning these wrap holds? The only newborn one I know of is (I think) called cross-carry.

signature currently in transition
#9 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM

do you have the instructions for the Moby? I used the Moby the day after DD was born, like 5 min after I got home... she didn't like the cradle carry, either. I don't remember what its called (mine is loaned to a friend at the moment) but upright on my chest. She was there every day after until she was ~ 3 mo...

I practiced a few times while pg w/ a stuffed animal. Made it super easy to use after DD's arrival.

Good luck!!
#10 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 03:02 PM

http://www.mobywrap.com/instructions.php?link=2

^^ link to instructions for carrying a newborn
#11 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM

demanded to wear dd out of hosp. Had to wait for a wheelchair. wore her in a sling cradell hold and over shoulder all wrapped up. Also used ring sling.

ds was a homebirth but when I DID finally leave the house, wore him always. You'll love it!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#12 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 04:57 PM

I didn't use a sling much with Ariana, but I plan on having this baby in my moby-like wrap (I made myself!) alll the time from day one.
#13 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM

I would have worn from day 1 but didn't need to as I was waited on hand and foot at the hospital. All I needed to do was nurse, sleep, eat and admire my new baby in my arms I didn't really start my bw until after we got home.

That being said, you can wear your baby as soon as you deem it practical. If it's a few hours after birth, so be it. We had to carry our children out the door in a car carrier as this was one of the hospital's ways to check that we had a car seat and know how to put our baby in one (I know that might irk some people but it was practical because the patient pick up area is sooooooo busy--it was just easier).

Check out http://www.mamatoto.org for videos and how to pictures too.
#14 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't do much babywearing the first month- before that I was mostly lying in bed with the baby or sitting holding the baby, and I didn't find much use for the sling until I was ready to be up and about around town.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#15 of 26 Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM

DH put DS in the NN (like your hotsling) when he was a couple of hours old. At about 36 hours old we went to a store and to dinner and I wore him and nursed him the whole time

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#16 of 26 Old 12-20-2007, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling reassured Thanks!

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#17 of 26 Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 PM

My Moby is so snuggly that I even used it at home with no shirt on underneath! The wrap covered me and DS just snuggled in against my chest.

Don't be scared of all that fabric. The FWCC (the carry suggested in the Moby instructions) is pretty easy to wrap around you and getting your baby in it AFTER everything is tied on gives you one less thing to focus on . It might take a day or to to get the hang on it and feel comfortable doing it but it is well worth he effort.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#18 of 26 Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM

I wore DS the day he was born in a Hotsling and wandered around the maternity ward at the hospital. With the next, I plan to use a Moby and RS from the beginning.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#19 of 26 Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the first time DS1 and DS2 were worn was at 1 day old. Cradle hold in a ring sling or pouch sling. Snuggly goodness!

DH was the first to wear DS3 (cradle hold / stretch pouch), at about 2 hours old! I was mostly "laying in" during that first week so I don't think I wore him during that time but once I was up and around more I broke out my own pouches and a stretch wrap (gypsymama bali baby stretch). I favor the front wrap cross carry, which is such a cuddly carry with a newborn in a stretchy wrap. It's almost like they're in the womb again.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#20 of 26 Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Naked Baby was in a FWCC in a semistretchy wrap on his dad about 18 hours after he was born - only waited that long 'cause he was born in the evening, and we needed to sleep. He's worn him every single day since then, too. I didn't get into the game until DP's leave was almost up, around 3 weeks.

NB liked being upright, tummy to tummy, but all babies are different.
#21 of 26 Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalFamiLEA View Post
I didn't use a sling much with Ariana, but I plan on having this baby in my moby-like wrap (I made myself!) alll the time from day one.
What type of fabric did you use to make your wrap? I want to make one for this LO and don't know whether jersey cotton or cotton gauze would work better.
#22 of 26 Old 12-23-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_in_PA View Post
What type of fabric did you use to make your wrap? I want to make one for this LO and don't know whether jersey cotton or cotton gauze would work better.
Jersey is best for a little baby (so soft and snuggly, and you can pop them in and out). Gauze is good too, though, especially if it's going to be hot.
#23 of 26 Old 12-24-2007, 02:03 AM

You've got a great set of carrier for a newborn! Two points:

1) Check out the Kozy website for instructions on how to do the high back carry with a newborn. Talk about liberating, to be hands-free with baby on your back!

2) With the Hotsling, use a tummy to tummy position or a semi-seated reclining position, but don't put a newborn in a pouch in a cradle position that forces her chin to her chest. There's a risk of positional asphyxia. IME, too, many babies (mine included) don't much like a cradle position anyway.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#24 of 26 Old 12-24-2007, 03:36 AM

congrats on your soon to be little one! I had my moby before my girl was born and put her in it the first time when she ways 9 days. It took some getting used to for both of us, and I had practiced with a stuffed animal for months.

IMO the wrap and the pouch sling (we have a lucky baby but the hot sling is the same idea if you're more familiar with that) were/are the best when the babe is little. Supposedly you can use the pouch up to 30 pounds but my baby seems much happier in the wrap or mei tai. I put her in back carries with the moby from about 6 weeks on. We've gone hiking with her in a back carry in both the moby and the MT. I suggest a less stretchy wrap for later, however. Baby is 13 weeks and I'm totally digging the MT over the wrap, especially when out (the moby is almost exclusively used at home now).

Try it early, try it often, don't get discouraged! Baby will most likely fuss when you put him/her in it - but then you're both getting used to a whole lot so don't worry too much. I found when she was really little I could only wear her in the morning when she was sleepy but not fussy.

Good luck!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#25 of 26 Old 12-24-2007, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started wearing the baby within a day of my c/s in a mayawrap at the hospital then switched to a Mei-Tai at 2-3 months and then an Ergo a few months later. If I had another baby I'd do a wrap like a Moby then switch to a Mei-Tai then Ergo when they got a little bigger and better head control.

Seriously?
#26 of 26 Old 12-24-2007, 05:57 AM

I'm still learning how to use my Moby, plus it's winter, so he's not being worn as much these days. I prefer the Hotsling or Mei Tai froggy style with ds.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page