Wear your baby! Inspire someone! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a good babywearing day today. As I was picking my dd up from Kindergarten, the crossing guard wanted to know why I carried ds all the time instead of using a stroller. Of course I told her some of the many reasons people like to wear their babies, but for me, I told her my main reason was to be close to ds. Babywearing is very important to me as I work part-time, and helps me to reconnect to ds after work. The crossing guard has decided to tell her expecting daughter about babywearing.

After I picked up dd, one of the teachers at the school asked me where she could get something like that for a friend of hers.

In the parking lot of the store, an older woman gave me the thumbs up from across the parking lot and said I was "a good mom".

THen at dd's first day of ballet class, I met another mom their with her Ergo.

Until this day, I had never had so many people notice (or care) that I was wearing ds. And, outside of some crunchy playdates, had never met anyone babywearing. Is there something in the air today??

Mom to :, , and :
#2 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 AM

I also live in Tempe, and rarely have anyone ask me about my Becos (other then newly grandmothers at BRU). That is great!
#3 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM

I was out the other night at this local restaurant and the woman sitting behind us with her family was commenting to her daughter about my Maya Wrap, identifying it to her LO as a ring sling 'cause the LO was curious. Apparently she had carried her daughter when she was little and could still do that. I swear I must be the only one I've seen in months that babywears. The last person I saw was someone using what I think was a Moby at this little shop called Sleepy Hollow in Irvington (Which is a little area of Indy that has great historical spots).

Hopefully I'll inspire someone while I wear my baby girl to start wearing their LO.
#4 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM

I had a woman stop me last summer at the pier while I was BW'ing and went on and on about how glad she was to see me do this. That was the first time for me.
#5 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM

It can get discouraging sometimes when ppl just stare at me like i'm a freak. But I still find shopping much easier bwing than putting my toddler in those filthy shopping carts. anyone else do that?

Envious of your day, though.
I'm new in this small town where, literally, everyone knows each other. Here comes me, the crunchy mama with CD and a worn toddler (even in 100 degree weather...yip) and almost no makeup. I still feel like such an outsider/outcast. When I make small convo with other moms at the playground, they are so standoff-ish to me.
Praying that I'll get one of your days soon.
#6 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 PM

I LOVE wearing my baby! I RARELY see people in my town wearing their LOs. Sometimes I get the "freak" look...but usually smiles and questions. A couple of weeks ago I actually took mine off and put it on the lady asking about it so she could try it out.
Changing the world...one sling at a time!!!
#7 of 35 Old 01-16-2008, 04:48 PM

I love wearing my baby too and have only had positive experiences with it. I have a custom Babyhawk with University of Tennessee fabric so it REALLY appeals to people around here. I've had lots of moms to be ask me what it was and where they can get one. I rarely see others babywearing though. Once in awhile I do see a Bjorn carrier but that's about it.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#8 of 35 Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 AM

It just dawned on me that maybe ppl think it's 'odd" around here because I wear my 2 yo who looks like a 3 yo. Hmmm...
I'm starting to understand less and less the stroller culture. Just don't see how babywearing isn't much easier than having to take a baby out of a car seat, take out the stroller, buckles the baby into the stroller, push the stroller (with at least one hand) while getting things done. I feel so bad for some of those parents sometimes.
#9 of 35 Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 PM

Yea - it's like breastfeeding, and birthing, and everything else we stand for at MDC. There's totally a time and place for strollers (cesareans, bottles), it's just that they get SO overused, and people don't even know what they're missing.
#10 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 AM

I feel like a celebrity when I am out with my wrap. A few weeks ago we were shopping and on the way into the store one of the employees stopped to chat about it and then as I turned around a customer had been listening and asked if she could take my picture. Her friend was having a baby and she thought the wrap was so cool. Dh had a good chuckle about it because he knows how I love to show off my wrap.

caffix.gif

#11 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 AM

I've gotten a few comments on babywearing (usually just comments on "the cute monkey on your back!" ), but I've gotten a lot more since I got a Kindercoat (, and wear it over him on my back. People are just floored that not only do I wear my baby (which isn't that unusual here in Portland Oregon), but I have a jacket specifically designed for it. That's gotten me a lot of questions and positive comments and people asking where I got it.
#12 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 AM

I get tons of questions and comments, and 99% of them are positive. I'm on my second slung babe, and I am still one of the very few I've seen around here. I'm beginning to think I should make cards with some sites on them to give to all the people who ask.

That said, I use my stroller, but mostly because we have no car and 3yo dd is WAY too hard to keep safe. But I love my sling, and I never leave home without it.
#13 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM

I think i've just convinced two people to babywear. One a stranger who fell in love with my sling, and my cousin. I get questions all the time.
Though I also usemy stroller for dd1. We walk everywhere as well, and its nice to have her contained in a place where she isn't trying to gouge out her little sisters eyes.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#14 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
its nice to have her contained in a place where she isn't trying to gouge out her little sisters eyes.
I hear that! How else can I keep my newborn safe without a sling or ssc around!

Mom to :, , and :
#15 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM

It's good to hear all about your experiences! I think I'M inspired. I promise to wear my baby MUCH more often!

I hope I can inspire others too!
#16 of 35 Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post
I love wearing my baby too and have only had positive experiences with it. I have a custom Babyhawk with University of Tennessee fabric so it REALLY appeals to people around here. I've had lots of moms to be ask me what it was and where they can get one. I rarely see others babywearing though. Once in awhile I do see a Bjorn carrier but that's about it.
Around here this "man-tei" tends to generate a lot of conversation!
#17 of 35 Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Around here this "man-tei" tends to generate a lot of conversation!
Cute! I'm sure they'd go over great in Colts blue around here.
#18 of 35 Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM

I would say almost everyday I am out with DS, I get approving and questioning looks. I always get stopped by moms and grandmoms. Some bought something similar, but just didn't know how to use it. So I am forever giving demonstrations! I love it! I spent 20 minutes in Target one day showing a mom how to wear her 3 month old in a Hotsling. This seems to be coming a regular experience for me now! No one besides my LLL moms wear their kids, so you just don't see it around here. I should be getting some type of commission from Hotslings seeing as I'm always advertising for them!
#19 of 35 Old 02-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In late 2006-early 2007, I was wearing my DS at our local MOPS group. I got several questions/comments about it. We had a few pregnant moms that year, and now, one of them wears hers in a homemade pouch sling ALL THE TIME!
Woohoo!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#20 of 35 Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 PM

My oldest goes to the local montessori school, and I've worn her brother so much for pick ups and drop offs that the school administrator started asking me a bunch of questions. It turns out that their policy is that teachers can teach with their babies with them after they return from maternity leave (awesome!!!!), and she thought babywearing would really help those moms out. Now, a stretchy wrap is the "official" school gift for new moms at the school -- they've bought 4 in the last 3 months.

It's so great to walk through campus to get dd and see all of those little babies "working" with their moms. The best part is that the kids really love having the babies around, and are being exposed to babywearing as a natural daily activity, too!
#21 of 35 Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyandCleo View Post
My oldest goes to the local montessori school, and I've worn her brother so much for pick ups and drop offs that the school administrator started asking me a bunch of questions. It turns out that their policy is that teachers can teach with their babies with them after they return from maternity leave (awesome!!!!), and she thought babywearing would really help those moms out. Now, a stretchy wrap is the "official" school gift for new moms at the school -- they've bought 4 in the last 3 months.

It's so great to walk through campus to get dd and see all of those little babies "working" with their moms. The best part is that the kids really love having the babies around, and are being exposed to babywearing as a natural daily activity, too!
That has got to be the coolest thing ever!! My experiences with bwing have all been either positive or neutral. I am currently wearing my newborn...my 3.5 year old weighs over 40 lbs, too big for me now!! I love wearing newborns because I always have people look at me a little funny, then say "Oh my gosh, there's a baby in there!" Hahaha! I've only seen one other girl in my area wear her baby...we ended up talking in the grocery store for about a half hour about it...it's so nice to see a "kindred spirit"!! But anyway, around here, bwing brings a lots of curiousity, and lots of smiles (especially from older ladies), but I've never had someone be negative about it. I love making rings slings, too, so I have a variety of colors for myself, plus I make them for friends who are having babies.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#22 of 35 Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM

That must have been *wonderful*! I'm so happy for you.

I wish I could inspire someone. LOL. I baby wear my 14 month old at every get together my mama-group has and all I ever get are "you must have a strong back" and "doesn't that hurt your back?" and "I tried baby carriers and they hurt!"

I, of course, recommend GOOD baby carriers or encourage others to baby wear and also repeatedly tell them that no, my Ergo doesn't hurt my back. Le sigh. No one else carries their babies- yet. I'm hoping someone will. I wish I was inspiring! I had one new lady say, "I should do that." but she hasn't yet. It'd be so fun to have another baby wearer.

I really want a wrap. It'd be fun to show off different types of carriers. I have slings and ring slings and an asian type carrier but those aren't as comfortable for me as an Ergo so I just use the Ergo all the time. Maybe I should branch out some just for the sake of showing them all something new. I just might do that.
#23 of 35 Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maymorales View Post
It just dawned on me that maybe ppl think it's 'odd" around here because I wear my 2 yo who looks like a 3 yo. Hmmm...
I'm starting to understand less and less the stroller culture. Just don't see how babywearing isn't much easier than having to take a baby out of a car seat, take out the stroller, buckles the baby into the stroller, push the stroller (with at least one hand) while getting things done. I feel so bad for some of those parents sometimes.
and don't forget that once they get their child IN the stroller, the huge tantrum that follows because really, most children greatly dislike strollers. Babies are so much more content to be carried and little tiny babies especially *need* to be carried to feel secure.

It just breaks my heart to see a newborn squalling in a stroller while the mom says "she does this all the time". Just pick her up for heavens sake.
#24 of 35 Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 AM

What great stories!

I honestly have only met ONE person at our local park who was wearing their baby! I don't see it often around here (Cincy,OH).

People sometimes stare, but mostly they comment and ask me where I got my carrier! I give them the info., favorite websites and I just can't ever say enough good things about b'wing! It's the best!
#25 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 12:40 AM

I've had a comment for two about the Moby, but mainly just odd looks. I've never seen someone else where their baby. I'd like to though!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#26 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 AM

I don't see it alot around here either in lower Al. I hope my daughter will
#27 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM

I always wave and smile at other moms with kids in the slings. They sometimes give me strange looks...

I've had a few grandparent age people stop me and talk to me about my DD being in a carrier though.
#28 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 PM

How cool! I had a mom ask me about my Beco today at Target. DS was on my back.
#29 of 35 Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 AM

My favorite comment is, "So do you like that thing?" Err, DUH!! "Does that hurt?" Ugh. Maybe I'm used to it now, but I always get TONS of looks and comments and questions. It's annoying to me, the introvert who doesn't want to get noticed. I'm more comfortable with it now, doesn't annoy me. Some days, I seriously just avoid eye contact with people b/c I'm tired of talking about it! But I don't know if I've ever had a negative comment... Just like "are you sure she's safe? Can she breathe?" And I love "Wow, these NEW THINGS they have nowadays." I politely say that for millenia mothers have carried their babies in some type of sling, so it's not really new. This is just the latest version of it!

But anyway, my church is awesome b/c there are TONS of slings and wraps happening! A well connected mom sells them, so I think everybody gets them from her. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, there were two babies in wraps and about 4 in slings! And this is a church of like 200-250! It was really cool. It's somewhat normal.

Oh, and I wanted to say that whenever I wear the mei tei, I get very few comments from people. Like it's so weird they don't even want to ask about it!
#30 of 35 Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM

In Chicago I have seen exactly one sling and 500,456 strollers. But it's winter, so hopefully the carriers will come out soon. I get a lot of looks with mine, like 'what's in there?' But when people see me turn a fussy girl into a contented girl in 30 seconds with the sleepy wrap, they are mighty impressed... Yeah, I'm addicted.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page