BWing at the airport - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone traveled recently and wore their LO at the airport? We are flying to Oklahoma next month and ideally would like for DH to wear Zachary in BH and I would wear Gracie in Angelpack MT while at the airport. Would we have to remove them to go through security? DH is convinced that it would be easier to BW than to fight a stroller. Yea!!!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. We will be flying out of Baltimore-Washington International if anyone has info specific to there.

Charity - BW, BF, Co-Sleeping WOHM to Gracie (1/06) & Zachary (11/07)-WOW! I'm crunchier than I thought!! :
#2 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 PM

The current policy is that as long as it's a soft carrier (no rings and such) you can keep them in through security.

have fun!

-Angela
#3 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Last year I flew alone because DH was deployed. At Little Rock, LAX, San Francisco, Dallas and Phoenix we had to take it off to go through security. It was kind of a pain. His shoes had to come off, my MT had to go through the screening and I had to take my laptop out of my backpack each time. It was a nightmare BUT easier than a stroller as I have done that before alone as well. They were rude. I had to get all of our stuff and move down. They weren't nice enough to give me time to put our shoes back on and for me to put DS back in our MT. "Hurry. Get your things and move down." GL.

The first time when DS was a baby I couldn't even carry him through the metal detector. I had to hand him to a security guard through it.
#4 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM

might depend on who's working that day. I've flown with DD a number of times over the past year and haven't had to take her out (ring sling and hotsling).
#5 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mere2hayden View Post
The first time when DS was a baby I couldn't even carry him through the metal detector. I had to hand him to a security guard through it.
Really?? That's.... not okay.

Edited to add: Here's the TSA guidelines. They say that you'll have to take your baby out of the carrier (though I never have been asked to), but that you could continue to hold your baby.
#6 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
Edited to add: Here's the TSA guidelines. They say that you'll have to take your baby out of the carrier (though I never have been asked to), but that you could continue to hold your baby.
Where did you find that? It used to be the policy- then they changed it (around 2 years ago?) but I wonder if it's changed back...

-Angela
#7 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 PM

DS & I traveled a lot when he was "wearable" still, he is a big 3 year old now. I always had to take him out, regardless of which carrier and sometimes they told me I couldn't carry him through (I refused to comply and they conceded luckily) and other times they allowed me to without issue. I would expect that you will need to take him out and take your carrier off. I started using a peanut shell sling because it was so easy to get him in and out of and to take on and off.
#8 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 PM

I just flew, alone with three kids (10, 6, and 1 yo). DH was on a different flight, so I had the baby in a wrap and used our stroller to push the car seat. Security was a nightmare, even though I didn't have to take her out of the wrap. As I was expecting, I had to put the car seat on the belt... with help from the nice woman behind us in line. (Thank you, nice woman!) But they refused to hand check the stroller... so I had to try to fold it and get it up on the belt while wearing the baby. NOT possible. Finally -- after it became painfully obvious that I could not, would not, should not manage it, someone from security helped me fold it.

And then they let me walk through without taking her out of the wrap. Go figure! Now that part, I liked.

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#9 of 28 Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM

i always wear my youngest when we fly. i have had to take her out of the carrier almost every time but never, ever would i let someone else hold her, nor have i ever been asked to....
i totally agree that babywearing is easier than a stroller when flying!
#10 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 AM

I've flown a few times with DS and I've always gone through security with him in the carrier (a wrap). It's so much easier to deal with luggage and such with a carrier instead of a stroller. They do make you take him out of the carrier for take off though, which was a pain in the butt the times DS had just fallen asleep...

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

#11 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 02:14 AM

When I did Denver to Salt Lake w/ 17 mo. DD, I had to take her out. I was wearing a MT with no buckles, snaps, anything. The flight back I was holding her and she was wearing one of those little leash contraptions that's a puppy backpack and they made her take it off and she screamed! We had to remove her shoes also, even though they were soft sole robeez. At one airport they let me hold her to walk through, but I can't remember at the second. I was w/ DH so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but we didn't check luggage so we had three carryons plus a convertible carseat and a baby.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ren/index.shtm
"All carry-on baggage, including children's bags and items, must go through the X-ray machine. Examples include: diaper bags, blankets, and toys.
All child-related equipment that will fit through the X-ray machine must go through the X-ray machine. Examples include: strollers, umbrella-strollers, baby carriers, car and booster seats, backpacks, and baby slings."
"If your child can walk without your assistance, we recommend that you and your child walk through the metal detector separately.Remove babies and children from their strollers or infant carriers so that our Security Officers can screen them individually.
You may not pass the child to another person behind you or in front of you during this process.
Do not pass your child to our Security Officer to hold.
Our Security Officer may ask for your help screening your child."

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
#12 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Where did you find that? It used to be the policy- then they changed it (around 2 years ago?) but I wonder if it's changed back...

-Angela
Doh! Forgot the link.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ren/index.shtm
#13 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 PM
luv

we had six flights around christmas. I did a no sew ring sling (plastic rings). I was asked to take LO out. I replied with "There is no metal, you're welcome to pat me down and she's asleep/content right now" In all cases they let me leave her in and they patted her butt/legs to feel her body.

-luv
#14 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 PM

My husband and I flew out of Los Angeles and Atlanta with our then 6 mo old daughter in the Moby, and I had to take it off (along with shoes and jackets etc) but I was allowed to carry her. The wrap made the airport aspect of the trip so much easier!
#15 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 PM

We traveled over Xmas, and DD was allowed to remained in the MT both times during our security check. Now, we did have to step aside and have extra security both times- one time with a wand and another time they did a paper-sample-machiney check on her fiberglass cast (her leg was broken) to make sure it was really fiberglass. We did have to put the carseat through the Xray machine. It was much easier than using a stroller!
#16 of 28 Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 PM

We traveled over Xmas, and DD was allowed to remained in the MT both times during our security check. Now, we did have to step aside and have extra security both times- one time with a wand and another time they did a paper-sample-machiney check on her fiberglass cast (her leg was broken) to make sure it was really fiberglass. We did have to put the carseat through the Xray machine. It was much easier than using a stroller!
#17 of 28 Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 AM

I've taken 3 trips with DD (2 domestic, one international trip), and she stayed in the sling (all fabric) throughout security.

When she was really little, and I was alone, she stayed in the sling through take off and landing. No one mentioned taking her out, and I didn't have a car seat on the plane with me.
#18 of 28 Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 AM

The only issue I've had was with US customs. Dd was 2 and sleeping in the sling. The agent insisted I take her out and wake her up so that she could be sure she was "alive and not drugged." : I argued, then decided it was best to just comply. Dd threw a spectacular fit (who knew that was coming!) and it ended with the agent frisking us both very thoroughly. That was in Atlanta in 2003.

I've since carried ds in the ring sling (nylon rings) through security at 2 different airports without a hitch. We were patted down, but it was cursory and fine.

At my local airport (large internat'l hub) there is a special line for travellers needing assistance--ie. those who use a wheelchair or have small children. In theory, you'll get about 3 extra seconds if you use this line.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#19 of 28 Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM

Every time I've flown with my kids, I've been asked to take my baby/toddler out of the carrier (regardless of type of carrier) and put the carrier through the x-ray.

I used to live in MD and in my experience, BWI is more strict about TSA standards than most other airports. They're the primary test site for security standards.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#20 of 28 Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 AM

I wore dd in a DreamCarriers MT back in July when we flew. There was insanely crazy traffic that day and a trip that usually took 1 hour took us 3 hours and so we were late, late, late. They never asked me to take her out at security (but did ask me to remove her when the flight took off). I RAN after we got passed security while dd was strapped to my front. We made our flight by 1 minute. There's no way we could've made it had I been lugging around other stuff!!
#21 of 28 Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 PM

We flew from Harrisburg to Texas HAIR and back this past summer. Both ways through we had DS in a hiphammock. We were not asked to remove him or his sandals. I wore him through the arch one way, and DH wore im comeing home.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#22 of 28 Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mere2hayden View Post
I made the mistake of forgetting about the metal rings and walked through the metal detector... rings were obviously visible. I made the motion of going back through the detector and taking it off... they refused, blocked me then proceeded to pat me down, baby in one arm extended away from my body, then switched her to the other side (quite the balancing act... I thought I was going to drop her). Then they made me undress her to a onesie and patted her down. Needless to say I was PO'd.... I took names and filed complaints. Other passengers apologized to me for 'having to put up with that' DD was 8 weeks old at the time.

The next time I flew, I did it more conventionally, in a stroller. I couldn't do that again, it was embarrassing.

This was departing from McCarren Airport in Las Vegas. Southwest Airline also made me take her out of the sling during the flight.
#23 of 28 Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM

I've flown A LOT with dd and it varies with the airport. Now that she's bigger they make her walk through the security thing alone. When she was tiny I could wear the ring sling with nylon rings through security.

In my experience smaller airports are more flexible and friendly. Newark Liberty was a nightmare.

I suspect they'll make your older child walk through.

Single Mama to my sweet boo.
#24 of 28 Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM

ITA that it depends on the airport, and the personnel. We've flown probably more than a dozen times since DS was born, and it's always different. Newark is usually horrible but last time (when DD was 3 mos) I was able to wear her through in a wrap. I don't know what the actual rule is anymore, but I've never found any of the rules to be applied with any consistency. : I just try to go with the flow.
#25 of 28 Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM
acp

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who have been asked to take their LOs out through security. I've gone on 8 flights now (including at O'Hare, Denver, and Reagan National, all of which are often extra-careful on security) where I didn't bring a stroller and just wore DD - usually in an ergo, a couple times in a wrap - and no one ever asked me to take her out. It would have been tricky if they had, especially when I was traveling alone, since I'm not sure how/where I would have put her down to re-put on the ergo or wrap.

My favorite is the ergo - so comfortable on my shoulders even when I have lots of other stuff to lug through the airport, and if DD is sleeping during takeoff or landing and they make me take off the carrier (some flight attendants do, some don't), I can slip it off really easily without her ever noticing, and then put it back on as soon as the flight is in the air, with her still asleep.
#26 of 28 Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Bump. Any more mama's with experience with flying while BW???

Charity - BW, BF, Co-Sleeping WOHM to Gracie (1/06) & Zachary (11/07)-WOW! I'm crunchier than I thought!! :
#27 of 28 Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM

I'm so glad others have had to take the LO out -- I thought it was just me.

I lost my mind in Philly last month. I had a sleeping toddler on my back in an Ergo and I started to take my coat off while trying to keep her asleep (with DH's help) the TSA woman came after me screaming "You'll have to take her off that thing!" at the top of her lungs. My protestations that I had NEVER had to take her out and there was no metal involved were met with the assertion that that's not how they do it in Philly. Of course, DD woke up and was MAJORLY cranky through the whole process. TSA was rude all around, trying to rush us through with laptops, shoes, baby, etc.

Ugh.

From now on, I'll just count on having to take her out and be pleasantly surprised if not.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#28 of 28 Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 PM

I flew out of Los Angeles and Atlanta and they let me leave my baby in the wrap. I definitely think it was better than possibly having to lug around a stroller. Especially since I didn't have to worry about alternate routes with stairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page