airport and babywearing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just starting to get into babywearing more and was curious about going through security with a carrier... Do they make you take the baby out (even if you are using like a pouch w/o hardware) to walk through security?

This is probably a stupid question, but I am going to be flying with my 9 month old son next week by myself. Last time I did this, I brought our stroller with (as I probably will again this time) but it was SUCH a pain to try to get through security trying to hold my son, fold up the stroller and get it on the belt one-handed, while juggling all our other stuff (and no, no one, including TWA staff offered to help!). So, I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do this - like just be able to keep him in a sling or pouch.

I'm sure the answer is that they make you take them out (because I'm sure to be smuggling a bomb in my peanut shell next to my baby !), but I thought I'd ask anyway!!

tia

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM

I have been through the Toronto airport and Dallas/Fort Worth more than once now with DS in my Peanut Shell. The first time was when DS was 6 months old, the second when he was 11 months old.

Both times I was able to wear DS in the pouch through sercurity, although I did have to take off my shoes and his, and make sure neither of us was wearing a coat. I have heard that others have been asked to take their LOs out of carriers when going through security, though.

Hope that helps!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#3 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM

i wore DD both times in the airport in the Beco, they never asked me to take her out.
#4 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 02:40 PM

I've flown twice with Fish (she's 11 months), both times round trip Chicago-Baltimore. All four security checks involved taking her out of the Ergo and putting it through the x-ray machine, then carrying her through the metal detector. They would not let me carry her through while wearing the Ergo - it had to be sent through the machine. Also, I had to take her shoes off and put them through, even though they were little soft-sole Roobeez.
#5 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 02:43 PM

Well, I'm flying out tomorrow with my 6 week old to see his great-grandma in Oregon. I'll be carrying him in my Ultimate Baby Wrap so I really really hope they don't make me take him out and take it off. I have a peanutshell but he just can't seem to get comfortable in it.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#6 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwyrm View Post
I've flown twice with Fish (she's 11 months), both times round trip Chicago-Baltimore. All four security checks involved taking her out of the Ergo and putting it through the x-ray machine, then carrying her through the metal detector. They would not let me carry her through while wearing the Ergo - it had to be sent through the machine. Also, I had to take her shoes off and put them through, even though they were little soft-sole Roobeez.
yea, I'm flying out of O'Hare and it seems like they always make you do EVERYthing, even when it doesn't make any sense.....

thanks everyone!! I guess I'll just try to use a pouch w/no hardware and see what happens (although I'm not very optimistic!)

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#7 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Have only flown with my son using a baby bjorn and they always made us take it off and carry him through the metal detector. Always fun. Once I was flying alone with him and I had him and the bjorn and was pushing a stroller with a car seat and I had to take him out and fold up the stroller and put the stroller through the x-ray machine and carry him through the metal detector etc etc etc...

Yes I supposed I COULD have been packing bombs and grenades in his diaper but for crying out loud they could make things a little easier on people traveling alone with babies.

It's no fun to be holding up the line and have everyone glaring at you.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#8 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwyrm View Post
baltimore can be a PITB to get through. DH used to fly in and out of there every week when we lived in MD, it took him longer there any other airport he was returning from. Anyway, when we went on a trip with him to FL they were a PITB. I didn't wear DD (I should have), but I had my stroller. I had to take my shoes off, her shoes off (sandals!!), get her out of the stroller, fold it (TG for one handed fold Mac!) and get it on the conveyer belt (while holding onto DD, DH had his hands full with the car seat and our carryons). They then had me make her walk through the metal detector by herself (she had just turned 2).

We came back from Orlando and they were much more lax about it. They let me carry her through security and leave her shoes on, but I had to take mine off.
#9 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Crazy how different it is everywhere! I've taken DS through in the Bjorn, a pouch sling and a mei tai, and never had to take him out.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#10 of 22 Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Every time I have flown I have had to remove children from the carrier.
#11 of 22 Old 03-14-2008, 03:00 AM

I have done it out of PDX with both a pouch and a ring sling (with metal rings). Both times I did not have to take him out of the carrier, but with the sling, because it set off the detector, I had to be frisked and "wanded". It was worth it, though, let him sleep in the carrier.

I was VERY disappointed, however, when I got on the plane and they made me take him out (Alaska). They said it is their policy. So instead of having a baby who could sleep in his sling the whole trip, I had a fussier baby that I had to hold on my lap.

Amy
#12 of 22 Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Yep, I had to take Fish out of the Ergo on all our plane trips. She had to sit on my lap. Well, stand and lie and wiggle and squirm on my lap. She wasn't allowed to be in the carrier while the plane was flying.
#13 of 22 Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both times I flew, I had DS in the ergo and did not take him out. I was never asked, so never offered.
#14 of 22 Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Evry airport I've ever flown from (since 9/11) with a child in a carrier/wrap.sling etc has made me remove the baby/child. Seriously. It' sa real PITA but just makes me fly less. Hope they let you just go through
#15 of 22 Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM

I think your experience with babywearing and flying is going to depend on the airline, and the flight attendants, and the airport you're using. I've had the back luck to be saddled with rather unfriendly flight attendants all the times I've flown, who've made me take the baby out of the Ergo, refused to give me water for her sippy cup, gotten snippy with me about the storage of my diaper bag, and been clearly horrified by my breastfeeding. I've had friends, though, who've flown with wonderfully friendly and helpful flight attendants, so it really is the luck of the draw!
#16 of 22 Old 03-15-2008, 06:10 AM

I believe current policy is that a soft carrier is fine to wear baby through, but may require "additional screening" (the hand wand metal detector and somebody patting down you and the carrier). You shouldn't have to take baby out, but it could take an extra few minutes to get through. (My hubby works at the airport).
#17 of 22 Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 AM

Oh, and I can't answer for the airline staff, but the federal employees are prohibited from helping with the baby for liability reasons (I know - how dumb - but this is the fed govt) and have strict rules about how things enter the check point, though I don't know exactly what they are.
Have a great trip!
#18 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 PM

Well, I just got back today. Flying out of Washington Dulles, I had no problem taking my 6 week old DS through security in a peanutshell. I took him out of the sling as soon as I got seated on board since he doesn't like the peanutshell, so I don't know if they would have asked me to take him out or not. I changed him to a UBW for the second flight and they asked me to take him out of the wrap for take off.

For the flight back, I went through security at a very small airport. I took him through in the UBW with zero problems. They also let me keep him in during takeoff and landings. Same carrier, so I guess not everyone is on the same page. I think the first flight attendant who made me take him out is actually in line with their official policy, but I didn't point that out to the others, of course.

Overall flight attendants and other passengers were very friendly and supportive. Of course, it helps that I was traveling with a very young baby and he mostly just slept and nursed.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#19 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Every time I've been through with my LO's I've been asked to take them out of the Maya pouch. It's still easier than fighting with a stroller though!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#20 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM

sorry

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#21 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM

I wore newborn DD in a Moby and wasnt asked to take her out ever. It was great.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#22 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 PM

That is really frustrating that airports are so inconsistant on this policy. It's the same with knitting needles - they're supposed to be allowed but it's up to the discretion of the TSA agent. Seems very silly to me. Either something is OK or it isn't.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page