When is too late to start babywearing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I admit, I never did the babywearing thing. DD is 16 months and I wish I had. I love the thought of it, and I think DD would have loved it too. And quite possibly she still might. When I first "tried" wearing her at 3 months, she wanted NOTHING to do with it..would scream and have a fit as soon as she was in the baby bjorn I had bought for her. Then she had a series of surgeries (major stuff) and it just wasn't appropriate to wear her at that time with the healing and such going on. HOwever, I still think of how nice of a thing babywearing is, and just today, my husband took out the old baby bjorn, and took a walk with her in it. He said she loved it, (they were out for about an hour and a half enjoying the spring-like day here) and she never fussed once.

SO, my long winded question is this: when is it considered too old to start babywearing? should I just forget it at this point? DD is 16 months, weighs 19 lbs, and is 29 inches. (very tiny baby girl). Is there one carrier that is better than others for "toddlers"? I had been looking at the babyhawks online last week. They seem a little pricey to me though, and I'm just not sure if it would be worth investing in at this point if she only gets 2 or 3 more months use out of it? She is not walking yet- and her physical therapist says it could very well be a while until she does walk. (She just started to learn how to crawl in January) but at the same time I don't want to inhibit her from being on the ground, exploring and being curious and I worry that babywearing may do so.

any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
thanks!
jen-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 AM

I had worn DS all along, but bought us an Ergo when he was 2. It was great! Before then it was just the cloth-based carriers, and those were getting difficult with his length and weight, but the Ergo was good for us.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 AM

imo, never too late! i think ssc's (like ergo, beco, etc) would work well for a toddler and you can only try meitai's and wraps too
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 AM

My 14 mo loves our Ergo. I think a meitai would work well too. You could even do a ring sling in a hip or back carry at your DCs age. You have a plethora of options. And too old is when they are too heavy for you to carry them safely in a carrier either based on the weight rating or your comfort.

There is even a Toddler slinging smiley: :

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Personally I would go for a soft structured carrier like an Ergo, Patapum, or Beco. As much as I love mei tais, I think once she does start walking you might get a little tired of the straps for tying and retying when she wants up-down-up-down-up-down etc.

Also, my dd who just turned 3 still asks to be carried in an SSC. She's also petite, about 27 pounds, and I just love having snuggles with her in a carrier. So at 16 months I think you most likely will get at least a year out of a carrier, and possibly more. I say go for it!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

hi everyone, thank you for your suggestions and thoughts on this. I decided to get the Ergo. Just bought it new on Ebay yesterday and cannot wait to get it!!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 AM

I carry my 18 month old, 21lb son in my mei tai all the time still. He's heavy, but it makes shopping and short walks so much easier (as he loves to climb out of his stroller). When he's sick I also carry him around too because all he wants is to be held anyway.

User Tag List