help w/ Hotsling sizing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! Okay, so I've already emailed hotslings, but wanted to get someone else's opinion on their current sizing chart. FWIW, back in the day I got a hotsling using their chart, and found it to be a little too snug, though I adored it and made it work. (I was also a little bigger than normal after the birth- which I probably should have factored in).

this is for SIL, by the way, who is 5'3", and normally around 135. She's 30 weeks, measures 27 inches shoulder to waist (that's over a big ole preggo belly), and she's currently at 155. So, I'm thinking size 4, which is M-L, but she thinks we should go the next size up. (she looks like she's about a d cup at the moment, too)

Anyone use their chart recently - was it accurate, or does it run small / large?

I know they have a great return policy, but I would like to get it right on the first try.
TIA!

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#2 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post
Hi all! Okay, so I've already emailed hotslings, but wanted to get someone else's opinion on their current sizing chart. FWIW, back in the day I got a hotsling using their chart, and found it to be a little too snug, though I adored it and made it work. (I was also a little bigger than normal after the birth- which I probably should have factored in).

this is for SIL, by the way, who is 5'3", and normally around 135. She's 30 weeks, measures 27 inches shoulder to waist (that's over a big ole preggo belly), and she's currently at 155. So, I'm thinking size 4, which is M-L, but she thinks we should go the next size up. (she looks like she's about a d cup at the moment, too)

Anyone use their chart recently - was it accurate, or does it run small / large?

I know they have a great return policy, but I would like to get it right on the first try.
TIA!
I'm bigger than your SIL right now (thanks to pregnancy) and I wear a size 4 Hotsling. My boobs are DD with nursing. It's maybe a little snug for a cradle or forward carry now that my kid is bigger (pushing 20 lbs at 4 months) but the size 5 hung too low.

Hope that helps a little!
#3 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couz View Post
I'm bigger than your SIL right now (thanks to pregnancy) and I wear a size 4 Hotsling. My boobs are DD with nursing. It's maybe a little snug for a cradle or forward carry now that my kid is bigger (pushing 20 lbs at 4 months) but the size 5 hung too low.

Hope that helps a little!
perfect! thank you!

#4 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 PM

I would say a size 3 or 4, definitely not a 5... they're available in so many stores now, any chance there's a physical location near you selling HS?

susie
#5 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM

I am about 5-3 and 130 pounds with a d/dd chest. I wear a size 3 hotsling, but I have a pretty skinny 1yo babe.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#6 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearso View Post
I would say a size 3 or 4, definitely not a 5... they're available in so many stores now, any chance there's a physical location near you selling HS?

susie
Yeah, there are some near us...sort of. It's just that she's pregnant right now, so would it make any difference to go try one on with that big belly in the way? I wanted to get it for her baby shower next month.

And I want it to be somewhat of a surprise, cause she only looked at the website for like a second. I dunno, I'm leaning towards a 4. She's such a typical Medium type of person. Never tiny, but never big either. I just know she's gonna have big breasts and a chuby baby to contend with, so I'm thinking a 4 might lie right in the middle there, and give the baby a little room to get chunky, but at the same time, not hang too low. She does have fairly broad shoulders.

#7 of 14 Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Oh heck no, a 4 is going to be too big. I think she'll be a 3 or possibly even a 2 once all is said and done. The shoulder to hip over a belly isn't going to give you good info. Take the measurement on her back instead and see what that is.

I'm 5'4 and 140-ish once the baby weight is gone and I wear a 3; right now with the baby weight I'm around 180-190 and I'm wearing a 4. A 4 is going to be too big, I guarantee it.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 14 Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 AM

I agree - a 5 will be way too big. In a designer pattern that has a little more stretch, I'd give a 2 a try and in a reversible or everyday, I'd go with a 3.
I'm 5'5", 160-ish with an E cup (!!!) while nursing and I wear a 4 in the everyday and a 3 in the designer.

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#9 of 14 Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 AM

I'm 5'11" and was 180lbs after the birth of my daughter. I ordered a Hotsling size 6, and it was useable but too big, especially once I trimmed up a bit after a month or two.

The next one I ordered was a size 5, and was still too big. DH uses both those slings now -- he's 6'5" and they're perfect for him.

So, um, yeah, a size 5 would be too big. A size 4 might be too. I think the size 4 would be the right size for me.

I should add, to be fair, that my sizing is really weird. I'm an XL in everything except pouches. When I got a chance to try some on (Lucky Baby, not Hotslings), it was actually the size *small* that fit best. Something about my slopey shoulders I guess.

Pouches are supposed to fit snugly. I think 3 would be the better bet.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#10 of 14 Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
I'm 5'11" and was 180lbs after the birth of my daughter. I ordered a Hotsling size 6, and it was useable but too big, especially once I trimmed up a bit after a month or two.

The next one I ordered was a size 5, and was still too big. DH uses both those slings now -- he's 6'5" and they're perfect for him.

So, um, yeah, a size 5 would be too big. A size 4 might be too. I think the size 4 would be the right size for me.

I should add, to be fair, that my sizing is really weird. I'm an XL in everything except pouches. When I got a chance to try some on (Lucky Baby, not Hotslings), it was actually the size *small* that fit best. Something about my slopey shoulders I guess.

Pouches are supposed to fit snugly. I think 3 would be the better bet.
yeah, I'm thinking 3 too, after the last couple replies. I can't believe how much I'm obsessing over this. I've been thinking about it all day. I just want to hand it to her and have it be perfect, lol. I got a response from their cust. service and they said no larger than a 4, and ofcourse they said they would exchange it if it didn't work.

Thanks everybody!

#11 of 14 Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM

another vote for a size 3, possibly 2. I am 5'7," 140ish (I yoyo against my will) and am very top heavy and a four was too big for me, even post partum with ginormous engorged breats and the extra preggo weight.
#12 of 14 Old 04-20-2008, 01:02 PM

I would say a 4. I have 2 hotslings, 1 stretchy, one not. They are size 2 and they are too small for me and my babe. I am 5'3", 120-ish and my dd is 2 months old, 11.5 lbs, 22 in. She barely fits in the stretchy one and if I can get her in she looks so uncomfortable that i have to take her out (not easy). Its not even possible to try with the non-stretchy. So, I would need a 3 I think and your sil is bigger than me. I'd say go with a 4. Maybe you can make sure there's a good return policy, save the receipts and have her save the packaging in case it needs to be returned, since how it fits is a very personal preference. Looks like your geting a lot of conflicting advice. Good luck!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#13 of 14 Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM

I am 5'6" and 140. I had a 2 that worked ok when DS was little but was still tight. sold it and got a 4 that we love. it's my fav sling. i would need a 5 to nurse in it at 9 months though. I just use my ka ngaroo korner pouch for that since it has much more fabric. hth
#14 of 14 Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
another vote for a size 3, possibly 2. I am 5'7," 140ish (I yoyo against my will) and am very top heavy and a four was too big for me, even post partum with ginormous engorged breats and the extra preggo weight.
are all hotslings made by the same person/company? I had the opposite exp...
Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page