If you could only have one...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nak So, if you could only have one carrier which would you choose? Which is your favorite and why??
#2 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 AM

if i could only hgave 1 one carrier from birth to independant walkking it would have to be an Ergo with infant insert. while i do prefer a stretchy wrap for newborn i prefer an ergo from 6 months up as i can get that on and baby iun back hold alone but i cant with a wrap. i have used an ergo pre 6 months befoer an it was fine so if i could only hav eone it woudl be an Ergo
i love themso easy to use and quite comfortable AND anyother member of my family can use it

Kiz
#3 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM

I've been happy using a Maya Wrap ring sling, and an Other the Shoulder Baby Holder ring sling from birth right on up.

DH prefers a piece of flat, cotton cloth... very versatile, but I've never gotten the hang of it like he has. My slings were too small for him to use though, and he swears that a piece of flat cloth was much more comfortable for putting a child on his back than the frame-style, camping type carriers he's tried.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#4 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 AM

HEY JEZZ!!!!!!!!!

omg she is beautiful!! how is everything with you all? the kids must be loving her

ok~ as for your question
I'd have to say a ring sling, efficient and convenient w/ so many different carries

Mama, I think of you lots~ can you believe we are at this point now? discussing wearing OUR BABIES?!?!

nak

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#5 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 10:21 AM

Kozy! With pretty much any other MT coming in a close second.

www.kozycarrier.com

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Kozy! With pretty much any other MT coming in a close second.

www.kozycarrier.com
mei tai def. a very close second for me too

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#7 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM

I would have to say the faithful old ring sling....

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#8 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Kozy- easy to switch between front and back carries, comfortable for long periods of time, beautiful print. DD LOVES to be carried in it.
~maddymama
#9 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mamabear!!! Great to see you! I have been thinking about you a lot too! Do you have any pics of your LO? Here is a recent of Ashlee and her big brother and sis yep they love her.

Looks like I am covered I ordered a Mei Tai and a ring sling a few days ago
#10 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM

My Storch woven wrap. No contest. Adjustable, fits both my and DH (though I'd have to teach him to use it...) And SOOOOO supportive.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#11 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Rockin' Baby sling - it covers it all. It's convenient and durable. You've got front carry, side carry, back carry, laying down carry - easy to nurse in, easy to lay a sleeping baby down in, secure....it's great!
#12 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 04:21 PM

ergo!

I've had a few (snugli, hip panda, framed backpack, mei tai, hotsling, ring sling, hip snuggler) and some were great for some specific purposes but the ergo was for me the most versatile (espcially if needing to exchange with hubby for baby carrying too). I'm just sorry we didn't discover it til our third (sadly, yes, I was still buying baby carriers when we had our third!). I wasn't thrilled with the colour choices when we bought it but I think there are some nice colours now (dark green, chocolate brown)...at least, colours that I really like!
#13 of 38 Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yeahhh Rockin baby is the one I ordered! I love the fabrics!
#14 of 38 Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Mamabear!!! Great to see you! I have been thinking about you a lot too! Do you have any pics of your LO? Here is a recent of Ashlee and her big brother and sis yep they love her.

Looks like I am covered I ordered a Mei Tai and a ring sling a few days ago
HEY MAMA!! i've got to download some pics , I keep meaning to but...
I have no idea how to link so it'll tke me a bit, I will soon though. reallty
Your kids are absolutely beautiful~ they look so grown from your earlier pics! :, its truly in a blink isn't it?
I can't get over all of Ashlees hair! sooooo beautiful with those big gorgeous eyes!
I got some cute pics yesterday so I'll have to try to link 'em

Mama~ have a beautiful day Sharun!!!!

nak of course

#15 of 38 Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Nak ( not as good at it as you are though) l will be looking forward to seeing those pics!!!

Have a great day too!
#16 of 38 Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 PM

I've only tried an Ergo and a Hopp. I would pick the Hopp. For a few of reasons...I love how it looks, it is so supportive, I can easily nurse while walking around, and it doesn't have any buckles to adjust. Oh..and it washes easily too.

caffix.gif

#17 of 38 Old 04-19-2008, 02:31 PM

My vote is any variation of a SSC.
#18 of 38 Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Hmmm... my first instinct is to pick an SSC, probably beco. However, I really prefer a MT or wrap for a smaller baby. And if it's designed well and fits your body well either one can be just as comfortable. So I'm undecided....
#19 of 38 Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM

chunei...check my blog for more info.
#20 of 38 Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Nak So, if you could only have one carrier which would you choose? Which is your favorite and why??
sleepy wrap (www.sleepywrap.com) i have used it every day since my ds was 3 months old (when i bought it) and he's now 8 months.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#21 of 38 Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 AM

Ugh---I did something weird to my computer and am having to write this all over again.

I have an Ergo with infant insert and do not like it for a newborn as it's pretty darned hard to get her in.

The Beco butterfly, on the other hand, is a dream and since I have an ergo the learning curve was pretty minimal.

It's gorgeous and comfy and easy to get DD#2 in and out (she's 8 weeks old. )

I have an Ergo, a hotsling, a serene sling, an Eesti, an RBS, a hand-me-down Bjorn and the Beco.

I'll keep them all as they have their utilty--- (ETA---I'll keep them all minus the Bjorn, which is a piece of dookey). DH will wear the Ergo as the Beco is too girly for him.

HTH!
#22 of 38 Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM

I would have to say my Ergo. It's versatile and easy to use. I love my BH mei tai, though...

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#23 of 38 Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM

I absolutely love my ring sling, even now I will still put DS in it on my hip and he's a large three year old. DH prefers the Mei Tei.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#24 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 AM

If I could truly only have one, I would choose a long woven wrap, hands down, no contest (Didymos, Hoppediz, and Storchenwinge are all great choices). It's fabulously snuggly and pretieable for newborn stage, it's almost infinitely versatile, and it will last in usefulness and comfort until they'll stop letting you wear them - but it'll last in durability for the next baby, and the next generation of babies! So definitely a woven wrap.

BUT

If I could only have two carriers, it would be a ring sling and a mei tai. With that combo, you can do almost everything you can do with a wrap, with a shorter learning curve and quicker to put on (more or less).

If I could have three, of course, it would be all three. And what I actually have is, um, more than that.
#25 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

nak thank you everyone for all the answers! This has really helped me a lot. babywearing is not verry common here in germany and I have to import most of the carriers that i want eccept for Didymos.

thanks again!!:

more answers are of course welcomed!
#26 of 38 Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 PM

I my buckle tai

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#27 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 AM

For around the house--LOVE my Hotsling. DS is 8 months, so very comfy in hip carry and I can slide him around to the back if I'm by the stove or to the front if he wants to snuggle more. Kozy is awesome for longer carries.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#28 of 38 Old 04-22-2008, 04:38 PM

A long woven wrap. Any weight, any size, any carry. You might have extra fabric, but you could do it all.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#29 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 AM

I would suggest a wrap, or a mei tai (like Babyhawk). Both are very versatile, a wrap more so...and allow for very secure hands free. They also work well for any sized person or baby and you can breastfeed in them.

Hope that helps!
Olena and Kasian ::
#30 of 38 Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy
nak thank you everyone for all the answers! This has really helped me a lot. babywearing is not verry common here in germany and I have to import most of the carriers that i want eccept for Didymos.

thanks again!!:

more answers are of course welcomed!
There are lots of great babywearing options in Germany that we can't get very easily here in the US....a lot of manufacturers won't ship to the US because of liability issues. Have you checked out the Manduca or some of the awesome Scandinavian Mei Tais?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page