share your funny babywearing comments, etc... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 05-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never actually had any negative comments. I used front carriers for a while when she was really small and then moved on to the Hip Hammock which I really enjoy and get a lot of use out of. I've had a couple moms stop me and ask where I got mine because they like it, and I've gotten the standard mildly annoying: "THAT LOOKS COMFORTABLE CAN I GET IN THERE, BWAHAHAWHAHW" person trying to be funny but failing.

I don't see a lot of moms (or dads) babywearing in my town. Occasionally I do. I don't know why they don't, it makes most things easier.
#32 of 59 Old 05-10-2008, 03:45 PM

over the last 5 years of babywearing, i have had probably 98% positive comments. that the baby looks so comfortable, content, etc.

though the very first time my MIL saw me carry DD in the sling she told me I was going to spoil her. um, yeah, she was like 6 weeks old at the time. : but, said MIL almost 5 years later asked me to make a sling for her boss who was expecting so i guess she has figured out that my kids aren't spoiled and babywearing is darn handy! she still thinks everyone *else* who holds their babies a lot and doesn't make them cry in their cribs is spoiling their kids - in fact she told me all about how her boss's 2 month old was already spoiled rotten and hadn't been put down since the day she was born nor had the baby spent a single night in the crib. of course i just burst out laughing when she said that and reminded her that my 5 yo has never slept in a separate sleeping space either
#33 of 59 Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM

My best friend and I were standing and waiting for the bus the other day. She had my godson in a ringsling, and I had Lemmie in my mei tai (both perfectly safe). Some toothless person drove by, rolled down their window, and screamed "HEY DON'T YOU KNOW THOSE THINGS ARE RECALLED?!"

I also get a lot of "Wow, that looks uncomfortable"... why would you want to carry her around all the time.

I just have to laugh it off... they don't know what they're missing out on!
#34 of 59 Old 05-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Once in a great long while I used to get the occasional "Is that a baby?" or "can he breathe?" about DD in the ringsling, but I mostly wear the Moby now. The funniest comment I ever got was from a little kid... "Hey, lady! Are you a Kangaroo-mom? My baby brother was a kangaroo-baby!" The kid's mom was mortified. I just laughed. I guess you could call me a kangaroo...
Also, I will occasionally get the comment, "What, nine months of carrying wasn't enough?" To which I will happily reply, "I like making my life easy. Nope."
But mostly, I get comments about how cute, how comfy, how clever the Moby is.
About every couple of months or so, someone will ask me whether I made it myself or if I bought it. And I'm ALWAYS answering questions about where I bought it, if I like it, do I think it's a good baby shower gift. I think I get questions like that about every week. I am still considering making business cards.
#35 of 59 Old 05-11-2008, 01:49 AM

I have had mostlt positive comments. A few of the usual negatuves like spoiling, breathing etc.

I overheard this one said to another babywearing mom.

stranger - "what happens if you fall down and squish the baby?"
mom - "I won't"
stranger - "a stroller would be safer"
mom - "I don't think so I would probably let go of it and it would roll into traffic."

I almost couldn't contain myself.

I knitted a hat for my son that was supposed to be a pineapple. I didn't think it looked like one until we went grocery shopping. About three people (when they got close enough to see) said "it's a baby! I was wondering why you had a pineapple sticking out of your coat!"

Drive by parenting advice. G was on my husband's back.

"Hey! Get that baby on the front!"

People, even some babywearung mamas are pretty impressed when he carries G. He loves it. Says it's easier than lugging the stroller down the stairs.
#36 of 59 Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM

I was wearing my MTB mei tai (with a really cute cherry pnel I made) in Target, and a lady came up to me asking where I got my beautiful "Snugli." She told me she never wears her Snugli b/c it's so ugly, but if she had a pretty one like mine, maybe she would like wearing it. I giglled about my pretty "snugli" for a while after that.
#37 of 59 Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Some say sweet things like "Oh he's all snuggled up close to his Mom, right where he should be" and one funny very old lady said to him "You like it in there because you can smell the milkies" An very elderly neighbor told me her grandson carries his baby that way "and he loves it"

Everyone says disapprovingly "oh he's so well hidden" (in a wrap)

I've gotten the "be careful don't fall" one tons of times

MIL thinks 1. any sleeping he does in the wrap doesn't count because "good sleep is on your back in a bed" 2. I'm going to permanently injure my back 3. He is spoiled for being carried whenever he wants to be (he's not even 2 months old!)
#38 of 59 Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
About 60,000,000,000 times I've gotten some variation on "I wish someone would carry me like that!" Which, yes, is a positive comment, but it gets old. Although I still haven't figured out what to say in response.
a. "Sorry, you're too big."
b. "Get a hammock!"

All I've gotten so far is "Can he breathe in there?", and a bunch of smiles from other people.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#39 of 59 Old 05-13-2008, 01:23 PM

I was walking around a pretty posh area with my baby in a Moby, and a woman looked at us and exclaimed "I have one of those for my dog!"

Usually, people just remark that she looks pretty comfortable or happy.
#40 of 59 Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey422 View Post
I was wearing my MTB mei tai (with a really cute cherry pnel I made) in Target, and a lady came up to me asking where I got my beautiful "Snugli." She told me she never wears her Snugli b/c it's so ugly, but if she had a pretty one like mine, maybe she would like wearing it. I giglled about my pretty "snugli" for a while after that.
I know people who call them ALL snugli's, because it's all they've seen. It just just doesn't occur to folks ot look for options.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#41 of 59 Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 PM

I mostly get people thinking I'm carrying a doll. They always seems surprised when they get closer and see he's a real baby. I don't know why they think a grown woman would be carrying a doll around, especially in a carrier.
#42 of 59 Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Hubby and I use the Sleepy Wrap
Someone asked us the other day if there was a dog in there.
A dog? Who do I look like? Paris Hilton?

We had to go to court yesterday and the security was like "uh, what's in the bag?" They were shocked to hear it was a baby and didn't believe us until they got a peak
#43 of 59 Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gotta add,
I was sitting outside of Kmart and a lady with 2 under 5 and one in a ring sling walked by and stopped close to tie her kids shoe. The other kid ran over to me and asked to touch my hair (I have dreads (matted hair)) Mom was horrified and I laughed and told her it was ok she must get it worse for BWing. We started talking and this elderly couple walked by, made a comment about lesbians being 'allowed' to have kids Then we saw the old bat talking to the security guard so we stood there a second longer. Then the stupid security guard came out and told the lady to remove her child from "her coat". she said she was nursing and would rather not. Then he said, he had reason to believe that she was stealing, the elderly woman said that she was crushing the child, and if she was naked under her "coat" he would call the police for public indecency. I was about to get in this guys face on her behalf but she opened her diaper bag gave him a LLL card about BFing. Told him that she was not submitting to a search. Tossed her toddler in the cart smiled and said "good day" to me and left. She didn't yell or anything, it was amazing. I've never seen the woman again since, and come to think about I didn't see that security guard either (I made a call that may have helped that) swear if that ever happens to me I'll knock the SOB on his bum.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#44 of 59 Old 05-14-2008, 06:08 PM

I've already posted in this thread but I have to add this because I'm frustrated with the comments my family makes about how I wear my baby. I had my 3 mo girl in a mei tai, on my front. I was at my mom's house and my grandmom came over. Both my mom and grandmom kept saying that my daughter looked sooo uncomfortable because her legs were spread too far apart and it just must be so painful. My dad said she must be hot in there. While they were saying this my daughter was falling asleep with a peaceful look on her face. She had her head resting on my chest and she would look up at me and smile every now and then until she was asleep. Would she do that if she was uncomfortable or in pain? I don't think so. I tried to explain that the way a baby sits in a MT is supportive to proper hip and pelvis development (and I just started wearing her in it, now that her legs are long enough to wrap around me a little- I wouldn't put her in if she was too small) but my grandmom just rolled her eyes and said i should lay her down and let her stretch out so she can sleep better. If i had done that she would have woken up crying. I know my baby. I know I shouldn't let this bother me, but honestly, it does. There, now I feel better after venting a little. Thanks.

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#45 of 59 Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM

I was at Costco with DP and I had DS in the moby, facing out. I hadn't noticed that his hat fell off, and a really nice woman with two girls (probably 2 and 3 yrs old) said, "oh, there's another baby, maybe it's theirs!" She had found his hat and went around asking everybody with babies if they had lost it. Anyways, her older daughter saw ds and got really excited. "Mommy, there's a BABY on her shirt!!"
#46 of 59 Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Recently, I bought a Mei Tei type carrier (I am 21 weeks pregnant) and posted it in my Facebook photo album because it's so pretty and I wanted to show it off. Some people didn't know what it was so I found some instructional pics of a mama (cropped her head out) online wearing one. I could not believe the comments I got from one of my know-it-all-if-you-don't-do-it-my-way-it-must-be-wrong friends:

"OOOH I can see comfort written all over that baby's face!! JK!" (do you sense the sarcasm leaking all over the place?)

"Wow she must be really comfy in this picture! HAHAHAA! I'm sorry I'm probably the only one laughing!!"

"HAHAHAHA okay don't post anymore I'm gonna bust a gut!"

"I really am sorry. I guess I just didn't ever use one of these things as house work can always wait...okay housework is not a priority at all! "

I mean, how can one person be so rude? If you haven't even tried it and I just purchased one, would you really say such things?!!! My husband and I are bound and determined to make the Mei Tei work for us, especially if we see her around town!!! I really hope we love babywearing! We used a Snugli with our first and didn't like it at all. So uncomfortable to carry.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#47 of 59 Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM

"boy I wish they had those when my kids were babies"

"my kid never liked that thing"
"i could never get my kid to like those carriers"
"my baby was tooo big to carry like that"
this said to me as I wore my 23 lb, 5 mos old ds, and once while wqearing my 2.5 yo in a hip carry mayawrap while 41 wks pg with ds

people are odd

nak

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#48 of 59 Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Last weekend I was at my local farmer's market with my 23 month old in my Maya wrap and one of the vendors commented that she liked my "baby hanger", and of course the requisite "they didn't have those when I had babies...". Oh, and of course she asked me how I came up with such an idea!

About 6 months ago I was walking on a busy street in my city with ds on my back in a MT. I was crossing an intersection at a light, and some guy yelled out of his truck "Hey, you've got a baby on your back!". Hmmm - I think he was trying to be funny... I yelled back "Oh, really? Thanks!" with a big grin.
#49 of 59 Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM

I was standing in line at the store, with my son in a mei tai. This little girl with her mom were standing next to me and the girl had a doll with her. She stuck the doll in her sweater and said, " Look , I have a baby just like you." I smiled and said "yeah but mine's real." Everyone in the line was laughing.
#50 of 59 Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaehsmommy View Post
Oh no, I letting her die slowl but surly, the state jail has always been my idea of a good time.
:

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#51 of 59 Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 PM

The funniest one I got was at a restaurant one day a guy noticed my sleeping 1 yr old who was totally slumped against my breast and had just beeen nursing.

He said, "He looks happy in there"
I said, "It's his favorite spot"
Him, "I would be happy if I was right there too"

Some peope might get offended but I thought it was funny. He wasn't creepy about it, just joking around.

Today I got, "Now that is how you carry a kid" about my ds2 in the sling at
2 1/2.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#52 of 59 Old 05-17-2008, 10:01 PM

I mostly got good comments, syaing DD looked comfy in there, and people saying they wished someone would carry them around all day like that.

But I also get "I wish they had that when my kids were little" and I say "They did! Slinging has been around for millenia!"

Someone tried to tell me I was stunting my then-13 mo DD's development: "She'll never learn to walk if you carry her all the time" to which I replied: "She's been walking for a couple months now, if I don't wear her she'd be running off!"
#53 of 59 Old 05-18-2008, 03:25 AM

My son wore dd to school the other morning in our stretchy wrap, his classmate said "Cool, you've got your mum's t-shirt on"!

Another teacher at school has commented she's waiting to see when dd gets too heavy for me to carry, um that'll be about the same time she starts school, I still carry my 21kg 4.5yr old!

I frequently wear dd to very staid medical meetings and conferences and everyone is amazed at how happy and easy she is.
#54 of 59 Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
I mostly got good comments, syaing DD looked comfy in there, and people saying they wished someone would carry them around all day like that.

But I also get "I wish they had that when my kids were little" and I say "They did! Slinging has been around for millenia!"

Someone tried to tell me I was stunting my then-13 mo DD's development: "She'll never learn to walk if you carry her all the time" to which I replied: "She's been walking for a couple months now, if I don't wear her she'd be running off!"
Oh man, I get the above ALLLL the time!!!! hahahha
#55 of 59 Old 05-19-2008, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We plan to baby carry & I find right away everyone says "well, you won't be able to do it long - they'll get too heavy."

It's funny here very few women use strollers, they carry their babies everywhere- but in their arms. I can't help thinking a sling or wrap would be so much more comfortable.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#56 of 59 Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM

My son was/is extremely high needs and crabby. He knew his Mommy from day one and preferred me... okay, INSISTED on me! So, naturally, I wore him day in and day out. That's actually how we stumbled across baby wearing. Because he was such a crab, everyone was convinced it was because I held him and carried him in "That thing" all the time. He would cry just from someone trying to talk to him. Of course we knew different. We carried him [I]because[I] he was crabby, not the other way around. So, when I became pregnant again, now accomplished baby wearers, everyone would say things like, "Aren't you afraid this baby will be like Eli?" How rude! We would say, "Actually, we're quite fond of Eli." But, I'm happy to report that my 4 month old is worn constantly and is the happiest and most cordial baby I've ever seen. Ha!
#57 of 59 Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post

I hear this a lot, and sometimes I jokingly say, 'yeah, this is what prehistoric people had to do when their strollers broke down.' Otherwise I've heard nothing but good comments. We live in the Portland, OR area and it's pretty crunchy here, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

The funny stuff was when dd was a newborn tucked in a sling nursing and people would say how cute she was sleeping, and I would say 'oh, actually she's chowing down.' That got some raised eyebrows, more in admiration and astonishment than anything negative.
#58 of 59 Old 08-04-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad72777 View Post
The little boy got close, stopped in his tracks and yelled "She's got a baby in her coat!!! Do you see that Mom, she's got a baby in her coat !!" He was so shocked, he didn't know what to do. That has to be the funniest reaction I have had so far. I was laughing all the way out of Walmart

I had a little kid react the same way when I was walking my dog during the winter while wearing my little guy under my DH's coat.

Priceless...
#59 of 59 Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was putting on my wrap in the parking lot of a store and an Indian woman and her mother sat in their car watching me. When I finished she told me that she used to see people doing that at home and it was so nice to see someone doing it here.

I experienced way too much pride from that comment.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page