Water-slings - ok for everyday summer use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering buying a water sling for this summer. Both for water fun adn for the lightweightness of it. Are they generally ok for everyday use? DD gets hot quickly, I don't want to have to pop her into a stroller all summer.

ANyone have any feedback on their favorites?

signature currently in transition
#2 of 18 Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM

I used a solarveil sling quite a bit last summer with no problems.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#3 of 18 Old 04-30-2008, 03:14 PM

I have a solarveil sling too that I use in the summer (its very hot & humid where I live). Works great.

I have a mamas milk and have been very pleased. It has some light padding along the rail for hip carries, which is nice. The padding is lightweight foam, which dries quickly and doesn't really add any bulk .
#4 of 18 Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks Mommas!

signature currently in transition
#5 of 18 Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 AM

I have a Zanytoes solarweave ring sling. It is very light and dries quickly.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#6 of 18 Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 AM

Just a heads-up, I did hear that the solarveil company is officially ceasing production. So if you want a solarveil carrier, you might want to act fast. I was on mamasmilk.com the other day and they still had some really nice ones. Jude is wonderful to work with as well.

hope that helps. :-)
#7 of 18 Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM

You can also get one from kiddiecradles.com She's a wahm with nice products and great prices

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#8 of 18 Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 AM

I have a solarweave sling I made last year for the pool; it also works really well just for regular wear. Nice and thin, but sturdy.

Joyful Wife to my hottie K2 and Mommy to our darlings K3 and AJ
#9 of 18 Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
I have a Zanytoes solarweave ring sling. It is very light and dries quickly.
So was the person who said that they don't make ring slings out of solarweave (on another thread) totally wrong? She said solarweave has no stretch and that's why they don't make ring slings - seemed odd to me since lots of ring slings are made from no stretch material.
#10 of 18 Old 05-20-2008, 05:20 PM

As far as I can tell mei tais with it are quite common and yuo can occasionally find pouches of it but zanytoes is the only ring sling I found of it. I did break down and order some and doesnt seem to have anys tretch at all and not very breathable compared to something like my linen but will definitely be better for the pool or shower, etc if you are using for a tiny baby (I have a solarveil and too scratchy imho for a child under 3-4 mo old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
So was the person who said that they don't make ring slings out of solarweave (on another thread) totally wrong? She said solarweave has no stretch and that's why they don't make ring slings - seemed odd to me since lots of ring slings are made from no stretch material.
#11 of 18 Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 PM

I've had a solarveil sling from Sleeping Baby Productions and it definitly has some stretch to it - it's a bit like my stretch twill zolowerar, but it has more stretch on the bias since it's an open weave. It's not the softest of fabrics (think poly gauze curtain fabric), but it's been very comfortable for me to wear.
#12 of 18 Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM

I have a solarveil sling from KangarooKorner.com and I love it! I use it all the time.
#13 of 18 Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
I do think they are wrong,I myself did not see said thread. I have a zaneytoes solar weave. I did not like the stretch of the zolo one.

I have lots of non stretch rs!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#14 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadawn View Post
Just a heads-up, I did hear that the solarveil company is officially ceasing production. So if you want a solarveil carrier, you might want to act fast. I was on mamasmilk.com the other day and they still had some really nice ones. Jude is wonderful to work with as well.

hope that helps. :-)
Do you mean mama's milk won't carry them anymore or they won't be available anywhere?

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#15 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 PM

The solarveil fabric won't be available, so neither will the slings...

While I love my Taylormade ring sling and not so much my two water pouches (a solarveil Hotsling and a solarweave adjustible from chicslings), I would say that the Taylormade isn't for everyday use. I don't think the fabric would hold up and the rings can get a bit slippy when the fabric is dry...

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#16 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 PM

This may seem redundant - sorry. But there will be no sun protective slings available when the stock runs out? Anyone know why? There's not a problem with kids and the fabric is there?
I am due this Aug and was thinking I might like a watersling for next summer with this little guy. But I haven't ever had the chance to try one out. But I am feeling all stressed thinking it won't be there if/when I want one

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#17 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
This may seem redundant - sorry. But there will be no sun protective slings available when the stock runs out? Anyone know why? There's not a problem with kids and the fabric is there?
I am due this Aug and was thinking I might like a watersling for next summer with this little guy. But I haven't ever had the chance to try one out. But I am feeling all stressed thinking it won't be there if/when I want one
According to Jan Andreas over at Sleeping Baby Production it's just too expensive for the company producing the fabric to continue making it. Materials costs or manufacturing has increased to such an extent that passing that it's too much for the solarveil company to eat and passing it on to consumers would make the product prohibitively expensive.
#18 of 18 Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
According to Jan Andreas over at Sleeping Baby Production it's just too expensive for the company producing the fabric to continue making it. Materials costs or manufacturing has increased to such an extent that passing that it's too much for the solarveil company to eat and passing it on to consumers would make the product prohibitively expensive.
Interesting...so I guess I should order because I know that our next (yes I am crazy and plan and think about things that far ahead) will probably be a Spring baby again and I could really use it then too.

Are the solarveils only available in ring slings and pouches? That is all I have seen so far.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page