Beco vs. Ergo - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got my Beco Butterfly in the mail a couple weeks ago. I think we've already gotten our money's worth! It's SOOO comfortable. I've been perfectly happy with my Mei Tai, and was really just getting the Beco for my husband, but the first time I wore it I was hooked. I went for a walk with my 25 pound son, and never got sore shoulders, it felt like all his weight was on my hips. We've gone on two hikes with it. We've discovered my 16 month old likes to start out in the front facing out, and then we change him to a back carry when he starts getting tired. We've also been using it on bike rides. My husband wears our son on his back and our little guy has a ball! We've also discovered we can put our son in the car seat without taking him out of the carrier, so when we get to where we're going it's just "grab and go." Anyway, we're VERY happy with it.

Thankful to be a play-at-home-Mommee to my "cage-free" little monkeys, Sam, (1/21/07) and Jonas (8/17/09), a Wifee to my best friend, James, and excited to welcome our first girl-baby this summer. ***Families Are Forever!***

#32 of 34 Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMommee
We've also been using it on bike rides. My husband wears our son on his back and our little guy has a ball! We've also discovered we can put our son in the car seat without taking him out of the carrier, so when we get to where we're going it's just "grab and go." Anyway, we're VERY happy with it.
Mama, I am glad you love your Butterfly, but I have to say, please don't use it for bike riding or in car seats. Even if your LO has a helmet on, wearing a baby on a bike is dangerous because, if the rider falls, your LO can get severely injured or killed even in a fall that won't hurt an adult severely.

Also, putting your LO in the car seat in the carrier may interfere with getting the straps tight enough (they need to be REALLY tight, you should only be able to slide a finger under the chest buckle). If the carrier interferes with the proper restraining function of the car seat straps in an accident, your LO might be severely injured or killed.

I am sorry to be preachy, and I know everyone makes their own decisions on tolerable risks with their kids, but I felt I had to flag these as potentially very risky uses of the Butterfly (or any carrier).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#33 of 34 Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 AM

I have a Beco 4th Generation, which I love and use daily. I've tried on the Butterfly, and don't like it as much. I found the Butterfly comfortable, but too fiddly for my liking. That might be a learning curve thing, though. I don't like the Ergo. I find that DD's legs are splayed too wide, and just don't find the carrier comfortable. I have a Babyhawk, too, which is also very comfortable. DH can wear both, and he's fairly burly (5'10" and 200+ lbs).

I'm also quite curious about some other SSC's . . . APLX, for example, looks comparable.
#34 of 34 Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

i just had to update. we got to try out our beco with a friend's 2mo babe. it was great! i didn't get to wear it because carriers don't fit well on 8.5month pg bellies, but my friend (who has only ever tried a pouch and a bjorn) really liked it and said it was super user-friendly. the infant insert was perfect to put babe up higher. i can't wait to be wearing my LO on the outside in my new beco!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page