Mothering Forum banner

Okay am I the only one that secretly hates slinging

1K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  4Marmalade 
#1 ·
I admit I LOVE the idea of slings, but I hate the reality of it. I have three different types that I tried with both my boys and I never could get the hang of it. I was always miserable and they boys were never comfortable. I have one that came with a video and I watched that thing a hundred times and still didn't get it. I know tons of mamas IRL that use them, I just can't figure it out. I'm so jealous when I see a happy baby in a sling

See less See more
#2 ·
When I was using a sling with my DD I remember my shoulder and neck hurting all the time. I'm embarrassed to say I actually liked the Bjorn thing better. I also liked the Baby Bumbler.

If the sling doesn't work for your frame, have you tried another type of carrier?

#3 ·
Maybe it's the type of sling you're using? What brands have you tried? And are you *just* using slings, or have you tried mei tais, wraps or a structured carrier too?

It's totally understandable to hate *slings* in particular- I don't love them either, but wraps are heavenly! You can find something that will work, I promise!

#7 ·
I run our local BWing group, and I am adept at all things ABCs and wraps, but I still remain RS challenged after 3 kids...

There is no ONE ideal carrier for everyone. So it might be worth your while to investigate other types of carriers to find one that suits your body type and needs. I suggest signing up for the forums at www.thebabywearer.com Very helpful advice and reviews from parents everywhere on just about any carrier you can think of.

Good luck!

#8 ·
I would say that I tolerated, but didn't love, babywearing for many years. The carriers I had were adequate and much better than nothing, but weren't great. I wore because it made my life easier, but I wasn't always comfy doing it.

Since discovering more carrier options and investing some money into some that fit me well and are comfy to wear, I love it! It is the best thing I have ever learned about and invested in. It has made the addition of kiddo #5 into our family the easiest ever.
I only wish I had had this knowledge and carriers 11 years ago when I started having kids.

#10 ·
The first sling I got was a Maya wrap. I hate that thing with a passion and have been trying to give it away but no one wants it. I have a kozy carrier that I was sure I would love but I don't like it either. Then I have a baby bjorn and I hate that too.

I just always feel like the baby is going to fall out. So I end up just carrying the baby in my arms or if I'm in the store or something just using the carseat to carry the baby.

I'll check out those forums, but I don't think there are any groups near me. I live pretty rurally so there isn't a lot of stuff like that around here.

#11 ·
The original Maya Wrap was not a good ring sling. There was a lot of slippage in the rings. The new Lightly Padded Maya Wrap is a great ring sling (I wouldn't buy an Original Maya Wrap). It doesn't slip, has an improved lightly padded shoulder that stays in place better, and the pocket is zippered for greater security.

I found videos to be very helpful, both online videos and videos that come with the baby carriers.

For example:

Pouches
http://www.hotslings.com/s.nl/it.I/id.5/.f

Ring Slings
http://zolowear.com/Wearing.aspx

Mei Tais
http://kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html

Simple Stretchy Wrap
http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions.aspx

SSC (Soft Structured Carrier)/Buckle
http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/support/instructions

Several Types of Carriers
http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=69
http://www.thebabywearer.com/index.php?page=usinglinks

DVD - Several Types of Carriers
There's also a video called Tummy2Tummy with helpful demonstrations and instructions for a variety of carriers. http://www.tummy2tummy.com/

I taught myself using these or similar videos (and tips from the babywearing boards) and they were immensely helpful. Maybe they'll help you.

#12 ·
Do you have any mom groups around that have a sling class? I've seen fliers for sling classes or gatherings where a store that sells slings will have a ton of different slings for you to try on. They assist you in adjusting the baby wearing devises so that you can find a comfortable way to wear your child.

I'm sure that even in indigenous areas where baby wearing is a cultural norm that not all mamas feel comfortable wearing their child.

#13 ·
OMG, I TOTALLY understand!

I remember reading Dr. Sears Baby Book baby wearing section and wondering what planet they were on. They showed all this stuff that could be done with baby in sling and even had a story about going to a black tie affair with one. I was like, riiiighhht. I wore mine on walks and such, but back and shoulders always hurt unless I wore it just right. But no cooking, cleaning, gardening with the darn thing, I had two extra little hands with a mind of their own trying to grab knives, dirt, cleaning products, etc.

When we arrived in Africa, everyone wears the baby on the back and I envy this as it IS possible to do all sorts of things without worrying as much about the grabby baby. But when I went out, kids tried to stick things in his mouth and he cried when he couldn't see what I was doing. So back to the ring sling it was...when such was needed.

BUT, I think we've gotten our baby wearing wardrobe figured out a bit more now. Its taken a bunch of practice and becomes more of a moot point as DS wants to not be held as much, but it does work. The back carrier at home, the ring sling for quick outings and a Kelty backpack for longer outings and excursions. Its STILL not perfect, but with a lot of practice and trial and error, we do have a system. I went to a baby wearing group meeting and learned some interesting things and tried on a sling i ended up buying, but it wasn't as helpful as i had hoped, but that was no ones fault.

good luck!

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andi-mama View Post

It's totally understandable to hate *slings* in particular- I don't love them either, but wraps are heavenly! You can find something that will work, I promise!

#17 ·
I have trouble with my maya wrap sling too. I love my moby, but it is so hot in the summer. My little one likes to be upright, have her legs free and face out. Before she was born I thought the bjorn was an inferior carrier, but my daughter likes it, but as she gets heavier it gets harder on the back and shoulders.

#18 ·
Slings are not for everyone. I agree that finding the right carrier helps. People want different things in a carrier. I prefer wraps and pouches. But my good friend loves the ERGO, which I found bulky and annoying. Despite my opinions so many people love it, yk?

I also agree that some in real life assistance helps. Do you have a local API, AP or babywearing group? These can be great resources. We often have people coming in with the same issues, and with some great advice and hands on help, they usually leave much happier.

Once I found the right carriers for me (mom and me pea in the pod pouch--seriously amazing and so easy to use--and a woven wrap. Oh and a hotsling for summer) and how to use them correctly, I was quite happy.

#20 ·
what kinds of carriers do you have? are they all ring slings? ITA with the pp's that there are a lot of different kinds of carriers, it might just be you haven't found the right one yet.

i also agree if you have a babywearing group near you, get to them. i've met so many people who said they hated wearing their baby, and once they got some advice on how to use their carriers, they loved it. i showed a yoga student mama of mine how to use a ring sling once and it was like a huge light bulb popped up over her head. she said "oh, wow, no wonder my baby hated it!" and came back to class two weeks later raving about how happy they were. sometimes it just takes a little tweak here and an adjustment there to make all the difference in the world.

#21 ·
I think the Maya wrap I have is one of the original designs. I bought it 5 years ago and the stupid thing slips out of the rings every time. I think the Kozy carrier is like a Mei tei, right? I have that one and it hasn't worked either. There aren't any groups close enough to me that I can afford the gas to go
. Maybe the next time I see a mama wearing her baby I'll ask her how she does it.

#23 ·
I have always loved the idea of babywearing. Well, not always--it never even occurred to me with my first two (ages 11 and 15). But when I got pregnant with third, 10 years after my second, one of the first things I did was buy a sling.

After DD2 was born, I tried wearing her, on and off, for about 5 months. I was miserable. I hurt. She hated it. We were both uncomfortable. It just wasn't working for us. I handed the sling over to my best friend shortly before her baby was born (9 mos after my DD2).

She wore her DS more diligently that I wore my DD2, but she had the same complaints I did. So, she set about looking for another sling, and in the process, she found that my original sling (a pouch by Lucky Baby) was sized too big for either of us. She ordered a different sling (don't remember which), sized it correctly and wears her baby ALL the time and loves it.

I tried her sling on, but still found that the simply fact that slings hang on one shoulder causes me a great deal of discomfort. I have TMJ and all of the neck, back and shoulder pains that go along with it. So, I figured that I might fare better with a soft-structured carrier that distributed the weight evenly. After much research, I decided to bite the bullet and order a Beco Butterfly.

I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I have to say I have almost no complaints. My DD2 will be 1 yr old in 2 weeks. She's 25 lbs, wiggly and solid. She hated the pouch, but loves to be carried in the Beco. I can do just about anything with her on my front or back, including house cleaning, exercising, cooking, laundry, you name it...Sometimes, if I don't have all of the straps adjusted just right (like, if someone else in the family has been wearing her and so my "standard" adjustments are changed), I'll get some pain in my nect and shoulder. And if I don't watch my posture if I'm standing for a long period of time with her on my front, my lower back will catch, but I think that has more to do with me being out of shape. LOL

Anyway, I say all of that to say this: I was very discouraged with baby-wearing when my DD was younger. But once I was able to find a carrier that worked with my body and our needs, I am so happy with it. I can't imagine how I managed to get through the last year without my Beco.

#24 ·
I'm with you. I thought I'd love the sling--a friend made us a seriousy beautiful one--but ds hates it and so do I. He feels so heavy, and he's only 13 lbs. My high hopes are dashed. We have no babywearing groups either. He likes the Infantino Eurorider ok. It's uncomfortable, but I'm willing. I'm with pp on the Sears--yeah right is right! I can't wait for him to properly fit the Ergo.

#25 ·
I was very discouraged when I first tried babywearing. I HATED my maya wrap sling (watched the DVD so many times) along with the pouch I had. I could never get baby comfortable and could only wear for 10 minutes at a time. Then I got a wrap
. My dd was happy in there for hours at a time and she fit so snugly that I never worried about her moving around or slipping out. I got a Kozy mei tei once she became a bit too heavy in the wrap and I liked it for back carries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.