Why do YOU Baby wear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister called to ask me what baby wearing is and what all the benefits to it are..

I really hadn't thought about it, it just seems like the right thing to do.

Here is what I came up with.

It is easier to do house hold choirs.

Your baby feels safe when it is next to you.

Its easier to breastfed.

Thats all I could come up with.. I am sure there are alot more reasons and would love to give her more incase she wants to start wearing her 5 month old

So why do you wear your baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 PM

For all the reason's you mentioned, plus a stroller is so bulky to lug around all the time.

caffix.gif

Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 PM

... because we are both more secure in public this way. i know that he is right under my heart, safe and sound!

... because he loves to see the world from this height. i think he feels more a part of everything going on around him.

... because shopping carts are petri dishes!

... because i love having him right near me. i just do!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

For newborns it helps them organize their physioligical systems, and for smaller babies it's the best way for them to learn, right at adult level, seeing things and interacting.

You can walk anywhere! I put on my hiking shoes and ramble through the botantical gardens, don't have to stop to look for elevators but take flights of stairs up and down, dart between parked cars at will... I don't even stop to think about getting a stroller through it all

It's fun to sing Little Bunny Foo Foo and feel your baby hop up and down with the bunny in the song!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 PM

Well I plan to babywear because it seems like it will be a lot easier to get things done around the house with the use of both hands.

I like the idea of my baby hanging onto me like a little baby monkey ^_^

And my husband plays World of Warcraft so he wants to wear son in the pouch sling while he plays. Which I thought was super cute until he pantomimed telling our son "heres how you stealth and shive someone in the back!" (he plays a rogue)

Plus I think moms just look so dang cool when they arent grappling with grocery bags and an infant. And I want to look like Im handling my new responsibilities well so..
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM

I babywear for many reasons but a big one is that I have always been dependant on public transportation to go places with my daughter. I never wanted to have to lug a stroller onto the bus or train with me and I've never had to.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 PM

All the reasons already mentioned.

And we both love it.

And it is easier to have hands free.

And strollers are a pain in the posterior.

AND, and this is a biggie for me, I never ever ever have to worry about someone snatching my baby if I turn my back on the cart for just a minute. They would pretty much have to pin me down and hold me to get to her.

Also, I have found it reduces greatly how many people touch or try to touch my baby, since they have to invade my personal space to do so.

Oh, and she gets some of the BEST naps in her carrier.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Because I have a wild toddler boy & I need my hands.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Old 05-28-2008, 07:55 PM

It's an easy way to get him to sleep. It's easier to carry him on my than lug around a big car seat & it's way more simple to get stuff done because he doesn't particularly like being put down.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Because I can kiss and smell his wonderful baby head all the time.

And we have better conversations when he is closer to me. Granted the conversations are a bit one sided now but they won't be for long.

I love to wear my baby!

Living my dream. wife to dh, mom to ds1 (9/07) and ds2 (2/11), owned by pug and cat. Does it get any better than this?joy.gif

Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 PM

I work outside the home--no WAY could I lug a stroller and a playpen around or get a darned thing done if ds was out of his sling!

I have teenagers. They're clumsy. They trip over the pattern in the linoleum and leave knives lying around. I've heard of toddler stepping on babies and I wouldn't want to find out what would happen if one of my teens did it.

I'm 43. I probably won't get to have another baby. I need every whiff of that sweet soft sleeping baby smell I can get!

I love the companionship. We talk about everything. I know he doesn't understand it all, but he understands enough that we laugh together and cry together and I'm looking forward to when he can echo me back with one of my favourite little sayings just for this special midlife babe: "I'd rather be miserable with you than happy with anyone else!"
Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM

To keep the little one quiet, so I am not bumping into things with a stroller, so I have my hands free. I sometimes toddler wear to keep her out of trouble. I baby wear more for MY benefit, not theirs.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Like another mama said, I don't want anyone to snatch him while my back is turned.

I love having him close.

He is so much happier when he is being worn. And I can get more done with a happy baby.

Just plain easier all around.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM

The bucket is way too heavy. I like having my hands free to deal with the other kids, prep snacks, etc. I dont like other people's grubby hands on my baby. I like to hike and its great to keep the baby/toddler up high and safe. I like being able to nurse while walking and the sling helps with that. My arms dont have the stamina to carry my babies for long.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
slf

all of the reasons mentioned!

-he's happier being held, so wearing him lets me do stuff to, so we're both happy!
-easier ot take the bus
-DS is crazy about the kangaroo hold, which tucks his legs in fron tof him.... he's a pretty gassy baby, so this position helps get the gas out! lol

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Because I like being able to carry my ds and have two hands free, all at the same time.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 PM

I tried the bucket seat with dd1 and it was so awkward and heavy. eventually I realized that life was so much easier if I would just leave the bucked in the car and take dd along with me in a sling instead. She slept so much longer when snuggled up against me in the sling. I had two hands to eat, open doors, sign receipts, etc. Plus, it's just so nice having your baby right there all the time. You are always rubbing their back, or patting their bum, it's so nice to just be able to feel them and their warm little bodies right there. Once I had my second baby and I had a two year old running around, I don't think I could have survived without my sling!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the babywearing forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 PM

All of the above reasons, plus I work at home as an apartment manager, so I am always running around, putting out balloons, sweeping halls, working on the pool, inspecting apartments when people move-out, giving people tours. I don't have time to mess with carriers or strollers, I have to be out the door within seconds most of the day, plus our complex only has stairs, no elevators. Baby wearing also means my DD gets the attention she deserves even though I am working.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM

when he was little, it soothed him. he'd nap in it and i could get things done.

i started babywearing a lot when we stopped using the infant bucket carseat. i tried putting him in his "big baby" stroller at the mall and he hated it. but he loved it and fell asleep in the beco. he also likes riding in a shopping cart but only for so long, so target or grocery shopping goes a lot better when i wear him.

so now we "wind him down" in it at night or have him nap in it if we're out and about. it's been a lifesaver. it's about the only way dad can get him to sleep.

plus, when we have two, then i don't have to be "that" person with the huge double stroller being annoying to people around me.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Easy... I do it to help calm my active LO down. I hate strollers in general bc I am so BAD at driving them, and I love having DD close to me. It's easier to take in the groceries with DD on my back than it is to herd her while carrying in 20 (reusable) bags inside.
Best though, are the snuggles from her.
~maddymama
Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM

I babywear because it is easier on me. I like that it's good for DS, but really, I'm all about convienience. Most of the time, if he's screaming and dinner is coming up and I need to vaccuum, I pop him on my back and it all gets done.

Babywearing makes me SuperMama.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't use the sling constantly. I use a double stroller, too. We use the sling when it makes the baby happy or it's most convenient. It's also good for getting her to go to sleep when we're out of the house
Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Advantages of a sling vs a stroller:

- You can go on mall escalators
- You can fit in tight aisles in clothing stores
- You can fit in a regular public bathroom stall, or a change room
- You can go up stairs
- You can go easily over curbs
- You can go easily over rough terrain, sand, gravel, grass, snow and ice
- Your 10-lb baby weighs 10 pounds, instead of the 50lb (or whatever) stroller
- Much easier on the bus
- When driving somewhere, upon arrival you just pop baby into the sling which you're probably already wearing, no need to transport a stroller and set it up.
- Upon departing, no need to take down the stroller and fit it back into your car...
- When going to the movies or Marineland or amusement parks etc, most places require you to park the stroller outside and carry baby into the venue anyway!
- If baby is fussy in the stroller, you have to stop, go around to the front (since most strollers are front-facing), kneel down, figure out the problem, fix the problem, get baby settled, before you can start walking again. With a sling, you can keep walking while chatting with baby about the problem.
- If baby's fussiness is because they want to be out (like with older toddlers who want to walk), then you're left with a toddler on the go AND an empty stroller to push around. With a sling, you just have the toddler.
- Often in strollers, babies are 'buried', either under canopies or blankets or rain guards or whatever. No interaction with the world.
- Sling babies are at "conversation height" and learn more by observing you interacting with other people and the world than they do down at stroller height.

These are only the reasons off the top of my head, and only in specific reference to comparison with strollers. There are of course many other advantages as well, some already mentioned.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 05-29-2008, 04:06 PM

I started babywearing because since she is breastfeeding she always wants her momma. I couldn't get nothing done having to hold her all the time. Babywearing has freed up my hands to get things done.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 AM

Gosh, for so many reasons....

A) The whole bonding/attachment nurturing thing.

B) I love that I can nurse him in my ring sling while we are out and about and no one knows.

C) It's just so much easier to hold them that way instead of my arms getting tired etc.

D) Noah is baby #3, I love that I can still be close to him while also being close to my other kids and being there for them (they are 4 and 5 years old).

E) Housework - could not get housework done without my Mei Tai and Noah on my back!

F) Playing with the kids! I can pop Noah on my back and go out for a walk with the kids or help them learn how to ride their bikes and have both hands free and not need to worry about a stroller etc etc.

G) and really it is just so much easier, IMNSO, to babywear than it is to wrestle with strollers and stuff when we are out.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Tell her to type in babywearing on wikapedia and every answer/explanation for babywearing is on there. HTH
Old 06-01-2008, 03:52 PM

DS weighs 25 lbs and is just to heavy to carry without help. I started BW with DD for the same reason, she wasn't walking, she was too heavy to just carry around. Plus I can be hands free when I am doing things.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 AM

I BW because:

I hate trying to manuver strollers around
Who would want to ride around looking at peoples' legs all day? Not me, but I'd love to be at grownup level where I can make all the eye contact, learn from faces, hear voices and see where they are coming from.
My baby is happiest when she is with me....and she weighs ten tons.....and I physically can't carry her in my arms all. the. time.
Who could cook with a toddler holding their legs and screaming? Not me. Who could cook while wearing said toddler on his/her back (and NOT screaming)? I CAN!
My babe is comforted by being near me.
My babe feels safe and secure.
I have two hands free to deal w/the three other little people wandering around my life.
Wearing my babe feels like the right/most convienient/best option for me.

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 AM

great thread for bwing educators!
great flyer for a bwing meeting

User Tag List