Slings & Wraps? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Babywearing > Slings & Wraps?
TaraRae82's Avatar TaraRae82 02:16 PM 06-05-2008
No, but I will definitely look at it!! Thanks! I'm feeling less overwhelmed by babywearing already now that I understand each wrap/sling has a different purpose or is meant for different people.

zoebugsmom's Avatar zoebugsmom 02:46 PM 06-05-2008
I have a bit of a collection of slings going. I used my Maya and Sleeping Baby slings a ton with dd and ds. A friend of mine sent me a KKAFP for the coming babe, too. I've tried it with ds in it and think I'm going to love it.

For longer trips/walks I like my mai tei. DS is almost 3 and still goes in it sometimes. I have a stretchy wrap around here somewhere but never got the hang of it. It was too complicated and bulky for me. I'm largish so bulky wasn't something I really appreciated. lol
thefragile7393's Avatar thefragile7393 04:06 PM 06-05-2008
I have a home-made gauze wrap made by a local WHAM that I love for wrapping. I also want a Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze and water wrap.

I have a wonderful sling from Kimz Kreations (google here and her ebay shop) and a pouch/sling hybrid from upmama.com that I would love to get another one of.
PassionateWriter's Avatar PassionateWriter 04:18 PM 06-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
No, but I will definitely look at it!! Thanks! I'm feeling less overwhelmed by babywearing already now that I understand each wrap/sling has a different purpose or is meant for different people.
i was completely overwhelmed when i started. i probably have had/sold around 30 something slings, pouches, MT's, etc. etc. Its really like cloth diapers...you have to find what YOU like most. I love my MT's but i reach for my Ergo or Becco each and every time. Its sad in a way b/c those are really great but i guess when it comes down to it, im lazy and want what goes on fast! lol!

i used to put the Moby Wrap before leaving the house and i didnt take it off until i got home...babe was popped in and out of it all day b/c we did not use a bucket car seat....it needed to be tightened every once in a while but was really great.
Bee21's Avatar Bee21 04:30 PM 06-05-2008
I'm loving this thread! Keep the great advice coming, mamas!

So I think I'm sold on the ring sling. Any suggestions on brands that won't cost me a ton?

Also, they sell Hotslings at my Target, but it seems they only have size 2 and only in brown. : I want something pretty, and I think a size 2 would be a little tight once the baby got very big. Is the fleece pouch stretchy at all?
Changed's Avatar Changed 06:37 PM 06-05-2008
Very stretchy. I adore them for new babies.

My favorite ring sling would be from www.kangarookorner.com I got the unpadded ring sling with the shoulder pad added. It's heaven.
PassionateWriter's Avatar PassionateWriter 08:04 PM 06-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee21 View Post
I'm loving this thread! Keep the great advice coming, mamas!

So I think I'm sold on the ring sling. Any suggestions on brands that won't cost me a ton?

Also, they sell Hotslings at my Target, but it seems they only have size 2 and only in brown. : I want something pretty, and I think a size 2 would be a little tight once the baby got very big. Is the fleece pouch stretchy at all?
alot of ppl LOVE ring slings. im one of the few who dont. ;(

check other Targets. they had all sizes in ours yesterday. they are a bit stretchy but not much...i found just enough (nothing like the moby)
sonshine_rae's Avatar sonshine_rae 01:44 PM 06-06-2008
With my first kid I tried a few various slings..... and ended up loving the 'real' maya wrap sling. You can get them off eBay gently used for super cheap these days!

With my 2nd I still loved the maya wrap slings, but also found the maya pouch to be great especially during the newborn period.

This time I plan to use both the maya pouch and wrap sling, but I've also ordered a couple of mei tai's... which I plan to use with my toddler now and hope to use with the new baby once he's big enough .
Dahlea's Avatar Dahlea 06:41 PM 06-06-2008
If anyone is interested in making their own, here are the places I've bookmarked as being useful:
http://www.thebabywearer.com/lists/Sewing.htm

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

I only bought one ring sling because it's made of an SPF protected fabric that was being discontinued-got it new from Craig's List for $25. I plan on making the rest myself, otherwise I couldn't use them-too expensive!
CindyCindy's Avatar CindyCindy 03:20 AM 06-07-2008
Quote:
So, I am going to blab a lot here, forgive me if you don't really want to listen. Babywearing is like my mothership, I have just started a group here where I live and am SUPER excited. I am just dying to give my $ .02 because I don't know much about anything, EXCEPT this!! Of course this is all my opinion. . .

First off, all of you need to go to thebabywearer.com, rack up your 30 posts and 30 days and start cruising the FSOT forum, you would not believe how many mama's sell, resell, trade, etc all their stash. It is a beautiful thing!

As a few other mama's have mentioned, the KKAFP (kagaroo korner adjustible fleece pouch) ROCKS! Totally love it, BUT, once you hit summer, it's too hot. (Once again, only my opinion, I am sure others would disagree).

Same goes for a Moby . . .but to me, it is perfect for all of us, because we will be giving birth right before winter hits, so you will have a good 6 months of use out of your Moby before it gets too hot to use. You won't have to bundle baby up if you are wearing him/her. I LOVE the Moby wrap and I do not think it's too complicated for a newbie, you just have to practice several times and be persistent. Don't be afraid to ask for help either.

As much as my Didymos is my favorite in my closet, don't buy one if you are new to bw'ing or wrapping. Wait until you are in the swing of things and you feel comfortable with your stretchy wrap. Unless of course you have a good support system where you live. Seasoned mama's can teach you anything if you have the patience to learn.

Go check out on thebabywearer if there are any groups near you. GO to it! They are sent from heaven, they will let you try their stuff and show you the differences between these carriers.

Bee: Out of the Ringslings I have tried/have, I would highly recommend a Sleeping Baby Production Ringsling, to me the way the shoulder is structered is perfect. I have a hard time with the Zolowear and even the original Mayawrap seems to shimmy it's way toward my neck. Although the way the fabric of the mayawrap slids through the rings and stays put, is just spectacular. You will have to cruise ebay (or tbw.com) to get an original mayawrap. tbw.com has reviews on all of these slings. It is VERY overwhelming, take your time to figure it out, don't just go buy the first thing you like.

Love my Babyhawk, but if you are goign to get a mei tai, get a Kozy instead, even M'Liss (she wrote motherings babywearing 101) says Kozy is the king standard of mei tais.

I have both a Beco and an Ergo, there are subtle differences if you want to go that route, I won't get into it, unless someone asks.

There are so many options, but in my not-so-humble opinion, you need either a RS or a pouch (for quick trips) and a wrap or SSC (soft structered carrier: beco, ergo or mei tai) for longer periods of time, because a two shouldered carrier is always easier on you.

I am so excited about this thread, I hope more opinions keep coming! I always want to try out new stuff, but just don't have the ability to buy everything. . .darn it!
Kim919's Avatar Kim919 12:39 PM 06-09-2008
I'm sure i'm about to say something terrible sense i've never heard any mention of this on any MDC forum, but hopefully i'm not saying something too blasphemous...

Whats wrong with baby bjorn? I've been looking into slings/wraps for a month or two and none of them look comfortable to me. I found one of these at a garage sale brand new over the weekend for $5 and bought it. It looks really comfortable. I'm sure if there wasn't something bad about them they would be mentioned on here. So i'm ready to be enlightened now. I'm only out $5.
jessicuh's Avatar jessicuh 01:51 PM 06-09-2008
Kim, here's an old thread that discusses Bjorns. http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-504243.html
Kim919's Avatar Kim919 03:21 PM 06-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicuh View Post
Kim, here's an old thread that discusses Bjorns. http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-504243.html
Thanks looks to me like its worth giving it a try & if I don't like it I didn't spend much.

What I really liked about the bjorn is that it isnt so flashy. It seems like all the wraps are a lot of material & I liked that the bjorn seemed more discreet. Not so much a "LOOK AT ME" item.

I'm not into the AP thing so I'm not against strollers & car seats, I just HATE the idea of lugging those things around. I hate bulky things. A lot of the places we go & things we do regularly a stroller would not be practical. Some kind of carrier is a must.

My mom already bought me a great hiking backpack but it won't be time to use it untill 10-12 months, so I want to find something to bridge the time between birth and then. Are there any non bjorn slings/wraps for sale or general patterns that would be a little bit more simple looking then most of what i've seen for sale? I also would really like something that feels really secure even with no hands. I think i'm probably off topic for our DDC so I'll X post this in the baby carrying forum.
mkmb129's Avatar mkmb129 10:40 PM 06-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
This has been on my mind for weeks so I'm glad to see another thread about it! It's proving to be the hardest decision as far as stuff to buy for the baby. I'm leaning towards a Moby but I'm afraid of not being able to use it for very long because of the stretch. I'm also considering the Hotsling but it doesn't look very private when it comes to BF'ing.
I breast fed my son in a microfleece (stretchy, not good for heavier babies/toddlers though) Peanut Shell (pouch sling) just fine
mkmb129's Avatar mkmb129 10:43 PM 06-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim919 View Post
Thanks
What I really liked about the bjorn is that it isnt so flashy. It seems like all the wraps are a lot of material & I liked that the bjorn seemed more discreet. Not so much a "LOOK AT ME" item.

I'm not into the AP thing so I'm not against strollers & car seats, I just HATE the idea of lugging those things around. I hate bulky things. A lot of the places we go & things we do regularly a stroller would not be practical. Some kind of carrier is a must.
Strollers definitely have their place IMO, but so do slings. A lot of times it's just easier to wear baby, and especially when they're smaller, it makes your life so much easier, and babies, too There are definitely non-flashy carriers. The Ergos are solid colors and not flashy in the least IMO. Even a lot of MTs you can get solid. I've never used a Bjorn, so I'm not sure how comfy they are. The only negative thing I've heard about them is that a lot of times baby is positioned in it wrong and it's more or less hanging from their pelvis rather then put in in more of a seated position so all of the weight isn't on their hips.. I have a friend who's a babywearing nazi, seems to know the in and outs of every carrier
mkmb129's Avatar mkmb129 10:46 PM 06-09-2008
Quote:
I'm sure i'm about to say something terrible sense i've never heard any mention of this on any MDC forum, but hopefully i'm not saying something too blasphemous...

Whats wrong with baby bjorn? I've been looking into slings/wraps for a month or two and none of them look comfortable to me. I found one of these at a garage sale brand new over the weekend for $5 and bought it. It looks really comfortable. I'm sure if there wasn't something bad about them they would be mentioned on here. So i'm ready to be enlightened now. I'm only out $5.
The only thing 'wrong' with them according to my friend is how people put baby in (hanging as opposed to sitting) -- so that's people using it incorrectly, not the carrier itself. Also, I have a few friends who've used them and they've all said once baby gets around 20lbs it's useless because it puts too much strain on the back. The same friends switched to MTs, and said it solved the problem. But, never used one, so I don't have any personal experience with them.
mkmb129's Avatar mkmb129 10:54 PM 06-09-2008
And now I'll add what I use. I have a microfleece Peanut Shell, it's okay, but too stretchy imo, so it probably won't get used much with the new baby, all of the bending over I do for ds, she'd probably fall out! I have a regular hotsling, love love love it, even for the hip carry with ds. Just enough stretch! I also have and adore my babyhawk, started using it around 6 months with ds, still use it now. I will be making a ringsling this time around to see what all the fuss is about, I was given some beautiful silk brocade that I think would make a wonderful ring sling. Babywearing is so wondering, it really made both ds' and my life much easier, he's always loved to be worn, even at 1.5!
PassionateWriter's Avatar PassionateWriter 11:16 PM 06-09-2008
Quote:

the babies are basically sitting on their spine which is not good for them.

have you looked at the Ergo? its just as convenient as the bjorn.
CindyCindy's Avatar CindyCindy 03:11 AM 06-14-2008
In my opinion. . .the Bjorn, mostly just kills your back. There is absolutely no padding in the shoulder straps and they are thinner than any other Mei Tai that is out there. The straps criss cross your back in a position that simply puts ALL the weight on the stops of your shoulders instead of distributing weight across your back or on your hips like other carriers do. That to me is the main point. But there is also the argument of your childs hips/spine/crouch. Someone put it very simply to me the other day. . . Would you be more comfortable in a parachute harness or a hammock?? Think about how your baby feels being put in either a Bjorn or a Wrap.
jlbaby's Avatar jlbaby 11:40 PM 06-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCindy View Post
As a few other mama's have mentioned, the KKAFP (kagaroo korner adjustible fleece pouch) ROCKS! Totally love it, BUT, once you hit summer, it's too hot. (Once again, only my opinion, I am sure others would disagree).
i appreciate all the info - esp. this. i think the fleece pouch sounds perfect for DH, who is the SAHD and will likely do a great deal of the slinging! he does not want a wrap. and we looked at hotslings today (there is a great little organic baby store in my town) and of the 30 patterns there, he insisted none were "Manly". even though i found him plain khaki. so we'll see if i find some fleece pouches with a more plain design. i already decided i'm going to get the purple paisley hotsling, i love it! now to keep my eye out for sales at target!....
Changed's Avatar Changed 03:51 PM 06-16-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7y8xEQB-xY

I saw this today and thought it might be helpful.
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 03:52 PM 06-16-2008
In keeping with the DDC guidelines, I'm moving this to babywearing
miche28's Avatar miche28 02:55 AM 06-18-2008
Quote:
What do you do with the extra fabric on a ring sling when the baby isn't nursing/sleeping? I could totally see my toddler thinking it was something to hang from.
I never got a weirder look than when DD kept tugging and tugging on my tail at the mall. I finally lost it and warned, "Stop pulling on my tail!" much louder than I should have... People were like.... crazy lady!! And Isabelle totally knew it was funny...

For a non-flashy, simple look, I'd go with a mei tai (you can turn them inside out if you want a plain side and prettier side) or a pouch (Hotsling makes nice simple ones) - we had a Bjorn with DD. Spinal issues notwithstanding, it just doesn't have the longevity for the cost.
JennTheMomma's Avatar JennTheMomma 01:27 AM 06-20-2008
I love my Moby Wrap. I also have a few ring slings that I made myself. Just simple ones, nothing fancy. I use my Moby on cooler or windy days, and the ring slings on hot days because they are lighter fabric and easier to put on. If/when we have our next I want to get a Peanut Shell Pouch while they are an infant.
AuntLavender's Avatar AuntLavender 02:58 PM 06-20-2008
I have tried the padded ring sling associated with Dr. Sears (what were those called?), a Maya Wrap, Maya Pouch, and a Baby Bjorn in addition to an extra fina Rebozo.

The Maya Wrap is easiest to use ime. The fabric is wide enough to wrap it around your shoulders so you don't get the fabric digging into your skin like the padded ring slings.

The Maya Pouch was better for older babies (closer to a year old) than newborns since you couldn't adjust it.

The Baby Bjorn was painful for me to wear and my babies never liked having their legs exposed like that carrier does.

I prefer the Rebozo because it can be a blanket, shawl, napkin, towel, hammock, etc. in addition to being a sling. I still carry my 5 yo in it (he is 36 pounds).

http://www.rebozoway.org/

I got my second extra fino Rebozo here (I gave away my first to a friend who just had a baby):

http://www.consciousmama.com/new/BabyCarriers.html

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of ages 11 1/2, 10 1/2, 8 1/2, and 5
1  2

Up