Slings & Wraps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some REALLY good slings and wraps?

I want a Moby soo bad because it's really versatile and you can position the baby in all kinds of ways. But the only think I'm afraid of is getting too hot when winter and the cool part of spring is over. The summer's here are horrible and I can just imagine having extra cloth wrapped around me and the baby and us sweating like crazy!

What would ya'll recommend??

Thanks!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM

i like the moby for younger ages but didnt use it after about 6 months (my son was 8.4 lbs.)...b/c it was so stretchy. but totally worth it for me that first 6 months.

i like the hot sling pouch for the first 9 months or so.

MT's are great (for me only up to about 2 years)

ive used the Ergo and Becco from about 6 months until...well, i still use both. my ds is 2 1/2 now.

wraps are nice and ive had a lot of those (Gypsy Mama, Storch ?sp, and a few others but i just never found teh love.
#3 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 PM

I haven't gotten into wraps really. I've tried but I bought wraps that were not for beginners.

THis time I'm thinking of getting either a moby or a gypsy mama stretch. Those are both for beginners and should be easy to learn.
#4 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM

I've never tried a wrap - they just look too "fussy" for someone with as little patience as I have - but I LOVE my maya ring sling and babyhawk mei tai. DH loves the MT, too; we're going to have buy another.
#5 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I really like a wrap for a longer carry time, and a no padded ring sling for shorter shopping trips. The wraps are definetly more supportive, but just take a bit more time to get on.
I've never tried any name brand ones... except the over the shoulder baby holder... which I didn't care for. I just made my own.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#6 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM

I have had a variety of wraps....stoch, girosol, bali breeze gauze, and a cuddly wrap(like the moby) but I am just not a huge wrap fan myself. I do love the stretch wrap in the beginning but mostly I like my ring sling, fleece pouch and my Kozy mei tai.
#7 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM

I have a Hotsling, a Babyhawk, and a Sleeping Baby Production ring sling. They are all pretty good. I think I prefer the ring sling the most. It's the easiest for quick in and out, very lightweight(mine's made of Tencel), and the most comfy to wear. It's nice to have the extra tail fabric for covering baby's face if you're outside or nursing. The BH is great for later on, but I don't know that I'd like it for a tiny baby. It's a little harder to get on/off. The Hotsling is good for tiny babies too, but I still prefer the unpadded ring sling over it. I never got into wraps.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#8 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM

This has been on my mind for weeks so I'm glad to see another thread about it! It's proving to be the hardest decision as far as stuff to buy for the baby. I'm leaning towards a Moby but I'm afraid of not being able to use it for very long because of the stretch. I'm also considering the Hotsling but it doesn't look very private when it comes to BF'ing.
#9 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM

I wonder what the difference between a moby and a sleepywrap is?
#10 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM

I can't believe I still have some slings/wraps. I know I have them put away somewhere I just have to find them. I no longer have my maya ring slings. those got passed out to friends when I was done using them. I know I stillhave my Taylor mades (i have a knit, batik and a mesh), I also have a new native pouch, and I just saw my Baby bundler (wrap style) the other day but I can't remember where...grrr. PG brain sucks sometimes.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#11 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM

What do you do with the extra fabric on a ring sling when the baby isn't nursing/sleeping? I could totally see my toddler thinking it was something to hang from.

I have an Ergo, but I also want a sling or wrap. I've tried on Hotslings but wasn't terribly impressed. With the wrap, like the Moby, can you just leave it wrapped while around the house and take the baby in/out? That would be handy.
#12 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM

I've wondered that too, Bee. I don't really care for the way it looks with all that fabric hanging down. I'm so short, the last thing I need is attention being drawn down and make me look shorter!
#13 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM

Several of the slings come in different lengths. I'm short too, 5'2", and so I got a short length sling. There's not really a lot of extra fabric hanging down, just enough to hang maybe to my waist and the fabric is so lightweight and silky feeling that it's not bulky at all.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#14 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM

You can always buy a smaller sling so there's less extra. You can also just tuck it in.
#15 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Ok, ok! That sounds much better than what I saw online. It showed fabric hanging clear down to like their knees!

Changed, I found a thread for you....didn't read it but it applies here.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=902824
#16 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:18 PM

I have been thinking about this quite a bit too. I'm thinking about starting off with a peanut or hotsling. I like the ring sling but all the fabric hanging down didn't appeal to me either. Maybe I will try it tucked it...

Jenn EDD 3/20/10 with two 3/06 Jaden 06/08
#17 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 PM

I make my own ring slings and I just LOVE them for the first year.

I also love my moby wrap. You can make a similar one yourself for really cheap.

Mei tais are great for the later 1st and 2nd year
#18 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
You can always buy a smaller sling so there's less extra. You can also just tuck it in.
:

The few times DH wore the sling, he tucked the excess around the rings, so it looked like a fabric 'knot' and didn't have the tail hanging in his way. I just let it hang - but I tend to wear a lot of flowy black stuff anyway, so the tail of the sling blends right in.
#19 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Oh thanks Tara! I'm leaning towards the sleepy wrap now.
#20 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 PM

I am a wrap and sling hoarder! and my favorite for newborns is the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch and either my Kozy or Hug-a-Bub for when they are older. I also have a solarveil that I like for hot hot summer months.
#21 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee21 View Post
With the wrap, like the Moby, can you just leave it wrapped while around the house and take the baby in/out? That would be handy.
Yeah I suppose you could continue to wear it and take the baby in and out.

Honestly, I hated the Moby wrap. It was a nightmare to get in and out of. Took forever to wrap and I could never seem to get it wrapped snugly enough. The fabric was too stretchy and lost it's shape quickly. It was nice for a very brief time during the newborn period when I could get my DD nice and swaddled up against me, but then I hated having a knot in the small of my back when I tried to sit down.

I liked my Ellaroo Ring Sling much better than anything else I tried. I had a Hotsling that was nice when she was small and in the cradle and kangaroo position, but I couldn't ever get it to work for a hip carry.

I made myself a MT last time around, but my DD was too old by then and hated it. I plan to try one much earlier this time. A friend of mine makes these: http://www.joeypocket.com/

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#22 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 PM

since i have a whole basket of slings and MT's, i do NOT need another one but i went to Target today and they are selling hot slings....wow! they had a sale for $19.99. so....yeh, i had to get it. bad me!!
#23 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 PM

! They were 39.99 at my Target today. I wonder why we didn't get the same sale. I might have been sorely tempted. I don't like the fabric on my old Hotsling anymore. I should put it up on the TP.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#24 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
since i have a whole basket of slings and MT's, i do NOT need another one but i went to Target today and they are selling hot slings....wow! they had a sale for $19.99. so....yeh, i had to get it. bad me!!

They started selling them at my Target a number of months ago - I made sure to pick one up, even though pouches weird me out a bit and it's still in the pack waiting on someone else's baby shower. I figured if someone buys the crunchy stuff, they'll keep selling the crunchy stuff.

... or it could be the beginning of an addiction.
#25 of 55 Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM

I have a Maya Wrap sing that I absolutely adore and it has gotten a lot of use through my last two babies.

I have an EllaRoo wrap that is a bit too long for me, was given to me. I used it for a rucksack carry with DS2 a bit but I'd like to get one that is the right length.

I got a Moby wrap at a yard sale a couple of weekends ago and I'm looking forward to using that with the new babe My cat liked it

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#26 of 55 Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 AM

I can't do slings anymore because it hurts my shoulders way too bad. Last year I had a sprained neck and shoulder and since then it just seems to really bother me. With this babe I'm going to try a sleepywrap. One of my friends has one and it's nice and thin.
#27 of 55 Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM

I looked at sleepywaps a little more just now and it looks pretty impressive. It looks a lot like the Moby but I hear it's thinner so you don't have a heat stroke! But, are they still really stretchy? I don't think I want a stretchy one. It doesn't sound as secure-feeling.

I'll have to check my Target for Hotslings! That's really cool that Target's carrying them now! I'm hoping we can start registering this weekend.
#28 of 55 Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM

They're really stretchy BUT it'd be a miracle for someone who's never used a wrap to do well from the beginning with a woven wrap. They're really for advanced wrappers.

For first time moms, I always recommend the fleece pouch. Hotslings makes them but I don't know if target has them. Never fails and as long as it's cold out or A/C'ed inside they're great. No need for blankets or anything.
#29 of 55 Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks changed! I wondered why everyone seemed to recommend stretchy fabrics! Makes sense. Maybe I'll just get one of each! They're not terribly pricey...not like I thought they'd be!
#30 of 55 Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Do you know about www.thebabywearer.com ? THey have a FSOT board where you can try things for cheap.

User Tag List