Do we need a stroller? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH & I own a dog walking business and are quite active. We also live in a country type location, so not too many sidewalks around.

I just bought a Baby Hawk and my friend gave me her Zooper jogging/off road stroller.

Should I also get a cheap lightweight stroller? The Z is quite heavy and doesn't fold up well.
#2 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 06:29 PM

I personally like having a sling and a smaller fold-up stroller.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#3 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 06:34 PM

I like having a stroller when I know I am going to go clothes shopping.

I have one all the time anyways. I have an 18 month old (that weighs 35lbs) and a 5 week old. I wear the LO and push my toddler.
#4 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 PM

i have a chicco umbrella stroller and it's great for shopping in stores. DD likes it a lot. it doesn't feel that great on the road, though.
#5 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfieldsarah View Post
My DH & I own a dog walking business and are quite active. We also live in a country type location, so not too many sidewalks around.

I just bought a Baby Hawk and my friend gave me her Zooper jogging/off road stroller.

Should I also get a cheap lightweight stroller? The Z is quite heavy and doesn't fold up well.
If you need to decide now (for registry purposes), then I'd probably get a easily portable lightweight stroller (we love our Maclaren Zolo) if only to travel with. I live in car country so we don't walk anywhere, but have the Zolo for travel and a jogging stroller.
#6 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM

When can a baby actually use the umbrella stroller. I have one too, but I haven't even opened the box yet because I carry her everywhere. She is 2 months now.
#7 of 21 Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I don't have one and have never missed it. We use the jogging stroller for exercise and the mei tai for everything else. When I go shopping, I just put her on the floor in the dressing room. So I do think you could live without one. You could always get one and not take it out of the packaging or anything, so that you can take it back if you find you've not needed it.
#8 of 21 Old 06-15-2008, 12:38 AM

DS is almost 4 months old and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have had him in the stroller. Usually, I wear him and the stroller gets used if we take a walk to the store and need somewhere to put the heavy bags on the walk home. I definitely wish I'd waited to get one.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#9 of 21 Old 06-15-2008, 10:45 AM

I think the question is how often will you need to use a stroller other than at home? Is it enough to not want the hassle of folding up the Zooper?

Just going by the information from your original post, I think you could get by without having to buy one. Maybe just sit back and keep an eye on the classifieds and yard sales for when a nice high end umbrella stroller comes up. But for now, I wouldn't rush.

To be honest, I think our Maclaren has carried our gear and my now 5 yo more than it ever carried my near 2 yo - it's intended user.
#10 of 21 Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It really depends on your lifestyle. For everyday use, it sounds like either a carrier or a heavy-duty jogging stroller is the only practical thing for taking baby along with the dog-walking. But do you ever go to the mall? If you want to try on clothes, you'll want something to put baby safely down in, while still being easy to take in and out of the car.

I didn't buy a lightweight umbrella stroller until I was pg with DD2. I couldn't safely wear DD1 for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, and I did a lot of mall-walking for exercise and just to have a place to go when it was either too hot or too cold or too rainy to walk around the neighborhood. The umbrella stroller lived in the car trunk, the heavy duty stroller in the front hall, and the sling lived in the diaper bag.

I didn't use a stroller at all until DD1 was about 5mo or 6mo, and even then we still used the sling a lot. Things were different when DD2 was born and I had to maneuver myself with 2 babies, but when I only had one infant I didn't find the stroller to be particularly useful.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 21 Old 06-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
But do you ever go to the mall? If you want to try on clothes, you'll want something to put baby safely down in, while still being easy to take in and out of the car.
I don't use one even for that. I just put her on the floor in the dressing room if I'm trying on shirts. When she was tiny, I used the MT as a mat. Now that she's bigger, she just toddles around. And if I'm trying on shoes or pants, I can do that without taking her out.

Now, if you go shopping a LOT, then maybe it would be worth it just for that. I go every few months as get in and out as quickly as possible.
#12 of 21 Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 AM

We have 2 strollers. 1 that was a carseat/stroller combo and a smaller stroller. I like having atleast one with us. DS likes stroller rides aswell as being wore. They all have places in our home.
#13 of 21 Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
Just going by the information from your original post, I think you could get by without having to buy one. Maybe just sit back and keep an eye on the classifieds and yard sales for when a nice high end umbrella stroller comes up. But for now, I wouldn't rush.
:

i think they're handy to have for the occasional time you might need it, but it doesn't sound like you need to rush out and get one. FWIW, i have a Chicco umbrella stroller that i bought when we lived in the city and walked everywhere (it usually carried our gear ) and in that setting it was very handy and we used it almost every day when we went to the park. but since we moved to a more rural area 2 years ago we have literally used it once - when we went back to the city and spent the day walking around the zoo. i tend not to do too much shopping (like at a mall or similar stores) so the places i go always have carts for the kids to ride in - grocery store, target, etc. and i always wear them till they're old enough to ride in the cart, and then still always have a sling or MT in the bag just in case.
#14 of 21 Old 06-20-2008, 01:46 PM

We had a infant carseat frame for when she was younger and now we have a Chicco umbrella stroller.

In the early days I loved my frame stroller because I could run errands while she slept. You won't want to be waking the baby up everytime to put them in a sling.

Also, you need to wait until your LO can sit up relatively well to use the umbrella stroller. If you think you might need a stroller before 6 months I would get a carseat frame.

I should also add that I'm a total babywearing drop out. My DD hated every sling I had and I tried everything. We probably used our strollers more than most people on MDC.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#15 of 21 Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 PM

:
#16 of 21 Old 06-23-2008, 01:40 PM

We don't own a stroller. We had one that didn't get used once in my big baby's first year, so I gave it away. Since my baby is a car seat hater, we don't drive much. At 14 months, he's 28 pounds; actually, he has been that big for a while now. He was 25 pounds at 9 months. I walk all over our small town with him in a wrap, we both very comfortable that way.
I'd say, don't mess with a stroller; it's just one more piece of plastic crap to clutter your house, your life, and the landfill when it breaks.
Melinda
#17 of 21 Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM

We still use an umbrella stroller our aunt gave us and ds is 3 1/2!!!
I keep it in the car and use it when I have to run in the store real quick. I have also used it at times when I have to walk with him along a road (to a parade for example) when I felt he was more safe being buckled in.
It will depend on your child most of all. Some babies hate strollers. Simon always liked his. Once he got to a certain weight I could not carry him for a long period of time without hurting my back.
We have used it often as he's gotten older and he falls asleep on the way to church. He is a very heavy sleeper and so I would take him into the buiding in the stroller until he'd wake up.
The stroller we have is a cheap under $20 one, but there are ones of the same style that are a little better (I wish he could lie back in ours) that you may want to consider. I use a net bag to put groceries in at the store. It's made to hook on the handles.
We also have a jogging stroller I got cheap at Goodwill that has been all over our farm. He still asks to go for a ride in it.

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#18 of 21 Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM

We still use an umbrella stroller our aunt gave us and ds is 3 1/2!!!
I keep it in the car and use it when I have to run in the store real quick. I have also used it at times when I have to walk with him along a road (to a parade for example) when I felt he was more safe being buckled in.
It will depend on your child most of all. Some babies hate strollers. Simon always liked his. Once he got to a certain weight I could not carry him for a long period of time without hurting my back.
We have used it often as he's gotten older and he falls asleep on the way to church. He is a very heavy sleeper and so I would take him into the buiding in the stroller until he'd wake up.
The stroller we have is a cheap under $20 one, but there are ones of the same style that are a little better (I wish he could lie back in ours) that you may want to consider. I use a net bag to put groceries in at the store. It's made to hook on the handles.
We also have a jogging stroller I got cheap at Goodwill that has been all over our farm. He still asks to go for a ride in it.
I should add that I don't remember exactly how old ds was when he started riding in these two strollers. He wasn't newborn of course!

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#19 of 21 Old 06-23-2008, 03:31 PM

I think it really just depends on you and your baby. I wish that I could have worn DS all the time when he was a baby, but he gained a lot of weight really quickly. He was definitely in the 95th or higher percentile for most of his babyhood. It was nice to have an option of putting him down when my back couldn't take it anymore.
#20 of 21 Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM

A little while back, I just had a garage sale and sold all my large strollers.
I haven't missed them, and I haven't even touched the umbrella stroller.

I wish we hadn't carried our baby around in a plastic bucket (car seat) for fear of waking him early in his life . . . because I now know that one of those convertible all-stage seats would have saved us money and space!! If the baby is asleep, picking him or her up to wear them doesn't usually wake them up IME! They settle right back down to sleep.

So, I personally find strollers a waste of space.
#21 of 21 Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Similar situation to you, we live in an area that there are rough or dirt roads. We have an all terrain stroller, and a Maclaren Volo umbrella stroller and a variety of baby carriers. We used our all terrain stroller for walks where I didn't want to carry DS, and anything we did over rough ground (like horseshows and fairs and festivals where I might not want to carry him for an entire day) We used the umbrella stroller for going to the mall, and trips into NYC, it lives in the car trunk, we used baby carriers for everything else.

I think the thing with strollers is that they last well into the fifth year, so if you think you will use it even fairly infrequently it can be nice to have one and they last. We did have a car seat carrier too because someone gave it to us, but honestly we didn't use it very often and I think would have been fine waiting til DS could sit in the umbrella stroller. Until he was 9 months he was carried most of the time anyway, only once he started getting bigger did we want to put him in the stroller more often. We only really carried the bucket carseat when we were going to restaurants, I always found it hard to eat out without a chair for him.

Usually 6 months is old enough for an umbrella stroller, once they can sit up on their own, some umbrella strollers (like ours) don't recline so if your baby falls asleep in the stroller you might want one that does, otherwise go for as light and easy to fold as you can get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page