Ellaroo wrap forward facing carry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out a forward facing carry with my Ellaroo wrap. I know I could do the kangaroo carry but dd likes her legs free. Can I just criss-cross the wrap across her chest and between her legs, under her bum?(if that makes any sense!). Any suggestions?
Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 PM

You can do just that. Some people don't recommend such a carry for the same reason they don't recommend it in a bjorn, it puts a fair amount of pressure on her wee spine. Now, if you were concerned about that you could do a front wrap cross carry, with her inside, that way you could adjust the "belt" portion to better support her. This would be more difficult to execute but I'm sure you'd get the hang of it.
Have you tried a back carry yet? You could wrap her nice and high so she can look over your shoulder, even rest her head if she needs to, and have her legs free on your sides.
My 1 yr old loves back carries... come to think of it so does my 3 yr old!
GL.
Marisa
#3 of 4 Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I should try to back carry her. It looks scary to execute though!
The reason I was trying to figure out a forward facing carry is because that's the only way she likes to be held, and I was told that if your baby isn't into wraps or slings to try to mimic how you hold them. I think when she's old enough for a hip carry, that's what she'll go for(she's 11 weeks).
#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 AM

Any position takes practice, and not all positions are good for you or the baby. The way that babies are built makes them spread weight evenly when facing in. Their limbs bend and cling. When facing outward, their limbs dangle which pulls on the adult carrying. It's better for your back to carry facing in.

Also, it may seem as though she only likes to be carried facing in, but when she is in-arms, you can easily shift her around and meet her needs. When she is in a carrier, it is easier to get caught up doing something and not meet her need to prevent over-stimulation.

It is also much harder to carry a baby in the correct ergonomic position if they are facing out. Facing out positions lend themselves to dangling a baby by the crotch with their legs straight down. Extra measures must be taken to ensure that the baby's hips are rotated, with knees up above bum level . . . especially if they are facing out.

My son didn't take to back carries immediately. We had to practice. Once he figured out what I was doing, he stopped fighting, arching his back, and screaming. Now I can throw him on my back and have him wrapped or in a buckle carrier in 30 seconds.

To do a back carry, practice with a sack of rice or a teddy bear first so that your body is at least a little familiar with the motions. Then take your daughter and kneel on the bed to practice. It will take a few tries (and even longer if she fights like my son fought) but if you stay calm and work through it, you'll have a valuable new skill to be proud of.

If you would like more personalized assistance, I teach BabyWearing and I can do some consultations with you through PM or email. I'm here to help, if you want.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page