Beco Butterfly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have one? I'm really interested in buying one, but would love to hear any firsthand experiences, before I spend the $$. I tried an Ergo and felt it left something to be desired. The beco sounds like it would work well, and comes in some cool prints. My DS is 9 months and about 20 lbs and I'm hoping to wear him as a toddler as well. I've been using a moby wrap which I liked until a few months ago, but now what something more supportive and something that won't be as hot to wear over the summer. TIA

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM

My favorite topic! I also started with a Moby and loved it when ds was teeny. I then got a Butterfly when ds got to be about 12 lbs. I LOVED it. It was immediately recalled for new buckles and to hold me over (ds demands to be carried A LOT) I got the older version from Beco called "4th Generation". It didn't have a "pouch" to put baby in, just a flap of fabric that went behind ds so he was right against me without an extra layer of fabric. And there were no buckles at the shoulders, just smooth straps. I love the 4th Gen so much I never use my Butterfly anymore. But the 4th Gen is discontinued: Honestly, when I got back my Butterfly it just seemed too complicated with the buckles at the shoulders AND waist AND sternum AND slipping ds into the pouch......... Look into Pikkolo or Olives and Applesauce. They are more like the old 4th Gen.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you're an experienced BWer, capable of throwing your LO on your back with multiple carriers without breaking a sweat, then the Butterfly is not for you.

But, if you struggle with back carries, and need a little more assurance. Or if you liked your Bjorn and need something more comfortable . . . The Butterfly is a perfect choice.

I fell in love with the Beco before the Butterfly (4th generation), and when I got my butterfly, I couldn't like it as much as I wanted to. I felt like it was limited because you always put baby in the same exact way. Also, there seem to be a lot of buckles and straps. I felt (to me) like it took twice as long to put baby in or take him out, when compared to the 4th gen.

That being said, the Butterfly is innovative and a great choice if you are less comfortable wearing baby with out safety measures.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Ditto to what the PP said, although the Pikkolo, while a great carrier, isn't really comparable to the SSC because it doesn't (so far) have a padded hip belt, but a webbing belt that goes around the waist like a MT. Other SSCs that might be more to your liking than the Ergo would be the AngelPack LX (a lot like the Beco 4th Gen) or Nana's JetPak.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List