how old to front carry? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is 6 months old. We love our BH, but I've only worn her in a front carry.
I'm wondering how long (age/weight) is normal to carry them this way? When should I start thinking of transitioning to a hip carry? (For medical reasons, I'm not comfortable doing a back carry.)
#2 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 PM

I've never done a hip carry with a BH, but I think that as long as you are both comfortable, there is no reason to stop using the front carry. I find it hard on my back after a while with my chunky 10 mo, but I still do it for shorter carries.

We do back barries for longer periods.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#3 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM

I front carry dd2 in the ergo and she is a year old (but she is tiny... only 19lbs). She doesn't like the back carry at all.

Try the hip carry and if you're both comfy/happy then huzzah! If one of you isn't happy just try again in a week or two.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM

I think its fine to do a front carry for as long as you are both comfortable. At her age many people begin to use a back carry (if they haven't started sooner). But since you aren't comfortable with a back carry, she's probably old/big enough to attempt a hip carry now. You might find that its not as comfortable as the front carry because you only use 1 shoulder. Its ok for short periods of time for me. Just do what makes you both happy!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#5 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM

I think it depends on you and how comfy you are carrying her on your front. In normal circumstances, it's definitely more ergonomic to carry a heavy baby on your back rather than your front, but a hip carry can work well too. I would advise to switch off sides, so you're not always carrying her on the same side, which can lead to things getting off-kilter. Trying to switch sides and maintain a neutral posture helps ensure that your muscles don't get over-developed on one side and under-developed on the other.

I would also advise getting a carrier that's more supportive than the mei tai for a hip carry. As much as I love a mei tai for a front or back carry, I don't think it does a hip carry very well in terms of providing enough support. You could do a short woven wrap, or if you want something more structured, my pick would be a Scootababy. (Disclaimer -- I do sell them -- I'm not trying to spam, they're available from lots of places, but I do think it's the best hip carrier on the market).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM

I was starting to get a lot of back fatigue front carrying DS in the BH, he is about 25 lbs, so I have been using my Ergo more and front carrying in that. My biggest complaint about hip carrying in the BH is the strap doesn't rest on my shoulder because it is padded and slips up to my neck.
#7 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

I wear my 13 month ds on the front, never the hip and occasionally the back. He's probably 25 pounds now and I still find it super comfortable. I'd say that as long as you both enjoy a certain carry then stick with it.

caffix.gif

#8 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM

I still often front carry my dd at 13 months, 18 pounds. It's still comfy; it's more that she's long and in my way and grabbing things or sticking her fingers up my nose that makes me move her to my back. Ergonomically, I think a front carry is actually comfier than hip, as the weight is on two shoulders. I would agree with some pp that you may want to investigate a more hip-friendly carrier than a MT if you find you're doing them often.

Can I ask (if you feel like sharing of course) what your reason is for not feeling comfortable with the back carries? Is is the act of putting the baby on your back, or carrying the baby once she's up there?
#9 of 13 Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Do a front carry as long as you are comfortable. We were out picking plants at a nursery this weekend right in the middle of dd2's nap. She slept through it all in a front carry (I use a wrap though). She'll be 2 this Saturday.

When she's awake and wiggly though, hip or back carries are easier. I don't see a reason why you need to switch to a hip carry until dc enters the wiggly "let me down I want to walk" stage. And even then you can still do them.
#10 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotopaxi View Post
Can I ask (if you feel like sharing of course) what your reason is for not feeling comfortable with the back carries? Is is the act of putting the baby on your back, or carrying the baby once she's up there?
Dd has a seizure disorder. It is very well controlled by medication, but we may try weaning her off the meds soon (she is expected to outgrow them). Its left me where I have an obsessive need to see her every so often, though, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking her down quickly from the back carry if she were to have one.

So far the front carry still seems pretty comfortable for us both, but I'll start scoping out some better options for a hip carry for down the road.
#11 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 AM

I agree that as long as you and her are still comfortable keep doing it! I still wear my boys (almost 3 and 37lb) on my front sometimes.
#12 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Just wore my daughter (3 years next week) in a front carry last week while we were at the book store. However, she's on the light side (28-28 lbs or so) so that makes it easier. She had fallen asleep in the car and I was able to move her to the ergo and she finished her nap there.
#13 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabonder View Post
Dd has a seizure disorder. It is very well controlled by medication, but we may try weaning her off the meds soon (she is expected to outgrow them). Its left me where I have an obsessive need to see her every so often, though, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking her down quickly from the back carry if she were to have one.

So far the front carry still seems pretty comfortable for us both, but I'll start scoping out some better options for a hip carry for down the road.
Ohhhhh, for some reason I assumed you meant you had a condition that you didn't feel comfortable with her on your back. That makes sense. I definitely know what you mean about being able to see her all the time! If you ever do decide you want to try it, for checking in on her you can walk by a mirror, and to get her down quick, just sit on the couch and untie it all - that's equally as quick as getting her down from the front in my experience. But I do know what you mean - I also have a need to look at my dd every few minutes in a back carry too, even with no special reason - just like to see her and see that everything's okay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page