Mothering Forum banner

Help with Mai Tei decision please

769 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mommajb 
#1 ·
I have an older ellaroo MT that I do like. It has sightly padded shoulder straps. I am looking at a Mayawrap MT and notice that the straps are wider, worn pulled down over the shoulder. I am sure this helps to distribute the weight and I am not really worried about the lack of padding. I am just wondering what else to think about here. How might the fit or comfort be different between the two MT? Any ideas?

TIA

#2 ·
The maya has wrap-style straps. Wrap-style vs. padded is a matter of personal preference - only way to know really is to try it out.

I feel like wrap straps are a little fussier, for me, having to make sure they're all spread out - especially in a back carry - so I generally prefer padded. However, many many other people much prefer them and say they distribute the weight so much better than any amount of padding could. Another advantage of wrap straps if you happen to have a newborn tht you're wearing is that they can be spread out over the baby's back when crossing them in front if they're long enough, providing better support for a lo with weak neck muscles.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotopaxi View Post
The maya has wrap-style straps. Wrap-style vs. padded is a matter of personal preference - only way to know really is to try it out.

I feel like wrap straps are a little fussier, for me, having to make sure they're all spread out - especially in a back carry - so I generally prefer padded. However, many many other people much prefer them and say they distribute the weight so much better than any amount of padding could. Another advantage of wrap straps if you happen to have a newborn tht you're wearing is that they can be spread out over the baby's back when crossing them in front if they're long enough, providing better support for a lo with weak neck muscles.
ITA. for me, personally, if i want to deal with wrap straps i'll just use a wrap. if i'm grabbing for a MT i want quick and easy. and i, too, love my Babyhawk. The Kozy rocks too, and i used to have a Freehand i quite liked. no personal experience with the Ellaroo ones and have only ever tried on the Maya Tie at a babywearing meeting, didn't wear it for any length of time.

#8 ·
Thanks ladies.

I have tried wrapping and never found myself grabbing for it. It is out on loan right now.
I sill use a pouch for a bunch of quick in and outs but the MT or ergo are much more comfy for longer wears and nothing beats a good back carry IMO. Babyhawks have my interest now (though I may not need any new carriers).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.