Do you have/ use a stroller? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've used a ring sling with all three of our kids. I also have a Mei Tai, and DH and I have both done carries with just a piece of flat cloth. But, we have a Bugaboo stroller as well!

I hate seeing babies hauled around in an infant carseat. I know a baby who spent so much time in hers she got a raw spot on her back. Our kids always transferred easily to the sling. If they woke up and were still tired, they went right back to sleep. Often though, they didn't do much more than stir.

With out first, the stroller was good for extremely long excursions with an older, and heavier baby/toddler. It was good for sleeping when sleeing in the carrier wasn't practical. And of course, strollers are great for groceries, extra diapers, snacks, etc.

Mostly though, the stroller was essential when we had our second DD. I could carry one child and have the other one in the stroller.

I wouldn't run out an buy a stroller right away. I'd start out with just a carrier and add a stroller if you find you need one.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 PM

There are lots of responses already, but I'll add mine. I agree with waiting and seeing. My daughter rarely falls asleep in the carseat (maybe four times in 3 1/2 months) so I don't even remove the carseat from it's base! I regret getting the infant carseat, as opposed to a convertible carseat, since I always remove her from it. You may find once you have your baby that he/she sleeps well in the carseat and the stroller idea will work perfectly, or you may never use one. I don't have a stroller and so far have never thought "I wish I had a stroller." On the few occasions when she is asleep, I take her out, put her in the carrier or wrap or whatever, and she's back to sleep. I do have friends with strollers, and they use them to carry their stuff around, but that's the last thing I need, a way to carry more stuff!!

Congratulations on your new baby!!!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#33 of 50 Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!! In the end, DH's parents gave us the Metrolite stroller that matches the Safeseat we got. We'll just have to wait and see what works best for the little guy when he arrives! But I expect we'll be wearing him most of the time.
#34 of 50 Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 PM

I didn't own a stroller nor needed one with my first baby. I live in suburban area where I have use cars to get around. I always carried my baby in a carrier.

When my second child was born, we got the double stroller and it was quite useful at times.
#35 of 50 Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 AM

I have an umbrella stroller (used often when I had an uncooperative toddler and had to go to the gym, etc) and a Burley bike trailer/ stroller. Both very rarely used. I have never used the carseat/stroller combo. Just removing it from the base disturbs my baby, might as well bring her close so she will sleep. The few times I tried removing and placing in a shopping cart, she woke up and cried anyway. Same for my other three babies- they all wanted to be held. Bring a friend who wants a baby fix instead. ;-) On the other hand, I used to have a nice stroller that got good use for holding shopping bags at the mall, and later, the farmers market.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#36 of 50 Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 AM

I have a stroller that the carseat snaps into....just the frame, not a big travel system. My baby is not a fan of being worn and it's 110 here so we use the stroller when she's sleeping in her car seat.
#37 of 50 Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM

I also have a frame stroller that the carseat sits in. It's merely 102F here , but I feel like I'm baking the poor thing in this weather when he's strapped to me. He is just now starting to tolerate me having in the pouch or wrap for more than a few minutes, so we might do more wearing outside the house when it's cooler and he's more tolerant of being worn.
#38 of 50 Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM

I had and used strollers when DS was littler. I wish I knew then what I know now! I wish I knew that I could take him out and cuddle him and walk around and he would go right back to sleep or just stay asleep!

With my next baby, I'm going to do a lot more BWing!

I had a garage sale and sold all my strollers except the umbrella stroller. And I haven't touched the umbrella stroller once.
#39 of 50 Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 AM

Yes, we have a stroller, but it doesn't get much use. Mainly for the babysitter or when DD is in a foul mood but I must get to school to pick up her older brother. I'm prepared to either wear both little ones or not be in a hurry so DD can walk.

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#40 of 50 Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 AM

I have 2 strollers, well, actually 3. they are just now getting some use now that DS is getting older; before that he was almost exclusively worn. He refused strollers straight up for a while and that was fine, except I wanted to exercise with the jogger and he wouldn't do it. Now he LOVES it though. Loves the jogger, we go out each morning and he loves it. I also have a Maclaren volo that i keep in the car because he is just getting too heavy and grabby to be worn in stores, especially when I am shopping alone. My 3rd stroller is my graco from the travel system i got when he was born. We used to use it more before we got the volo if we were going on a long day trip or something but now it doesn't get used.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#41 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 AM

i really reccomend the moby wrap! if u got one u wouldnt need a sling! go to their website and check them out! mobywrap.com

Stacy: Mommy 2: S, N, F, and : edd 1/12/11 praying for : or maybe : if DH will come around!
#42 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 01:15 AM

I'm not bothering to buy a stroller because setting up a display of strollers when I worked at Target, seeing people fight with them on the bus, and dealing with other people's strollers in the aisles at the library has given me a dislike of all strollers except the umbrella ones and jogging ones. When Aka_chan has enough head control to go jogging with my dh, we'll look into the latter, and I can see getting the former at some point.

But it'd going to take some outstanding "life will be a billion times easier" moment for me to ever think of getting one of those huge, clunky, awkward, "travel systems." I am open to the slight possibility that it could happen, however.
#43 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 AM

I also use both.

The stroller is really useful when we go places where I won't have a cart so I have somewhere to store our diaper bag (and coats/hats/etc in the winter)

For HOT HOT days (Iowa) I will put her in the stroller if we go on a walk. Otherwise I typically wear her.

But the stroller is useful. I would just get a lightweight/cheap one.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#44 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Did I already post on this thread? I'm too lazy to check! Anyway, I have an umbrella stroller and I like it. We had a "travel system" when DS was smaller, and it was useful for some purposes but cumbersome. We gave it away. If we have another baby I'll probably get a Snap 'n' Go or whatever those are called, to use at the times when we used to use the other stroller but it will be lighter and more manageable.

ETA: I wouldn't necessarily get a cheap stroller. Lightweight yes, but if you think you might use it a fair amount, a nicer one would be probably more comfortable to sit in. Also sturdier for when you use it to carry groceries.
#45 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Hi there,

I had a travel system and I really liked it. DS was born in March and it's really cold here until about June so I used it. I didn't have it the first month and I felt really liberated once I got it.

Reasons why I felt I needed it:
It was so cold, I liked that he was bundled in the warm car seat.
DS was a really cranky baby, and IF he slept, we were NOT waking him.
He was heavy and I had a hard time carrying the seat alone.
(11lbs at birth, 22 at 4 months)
I had the slings and used them, but I was a new mom and had a hard time putting them on in the car and again, it was really cold out.
Plus if I was at the mall, I was trying on nursing bras and couldn't wear him at the time.
Before I got the stroller to go with the carseat, I basically put the seat in the cart at the mall. This worked really well for groceries, and not so well for the mall.

Reasons why I might not use one again:
I hated how huge the stroller was that went with the carseat - bohemouth!
I stopped using it once I got my Ergo carrier - and once he really liked a carrier.
I only used it 4 months, before A: DS outgrew the infant seat and B: the stroller that came with it was no good for a smaller child without the carseat, and not comfortable now for a big boy on his own either.
Once summer came, I preferred to carry him without the seat - might have had something to do with how heavy the dang thing was!

To sum it up, I LOVED the stroller system for 4 months that seemed like an eternity at the time, I felt free to go to my LLL meetings and to the mall and to get out of the house with my son in a way that I didn't before I bought the thing.

Hated the stroller afterwards and have had 4 other strollers before finding the RIGHT stroller that I adore. Next time I will buy a baby bucket carseat that fits my new stroller, but if I had a summer baby I might not bother.

Plus, by then I am sure it will be more convenient to carry baby #2 in a sling and push my big boy in the stroller!

BTW - my dream stroller is the City Mini by Baby Jogger! LOVE IT! But it took a couple of crappy strollers before I even knew really what I wanted and needed in a stroller.

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

#46 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM

My DS loves his stroller. LOVES it. If we are going for a long walk and pull it out he gets all excited, runs over to it, and tries to climb on. He likes to be worn sometimes, but now that he is walking all over the place there are times he has zero tolerance for it. Maybe he feels he has a better view of what's going on if he's in the stroller? Not sure... When he's willing to be worn we use the Ergo.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#47 of 50 Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 PM

We don't own a stroller. Most everything is in walking distance and I use the sling or wrap. We have a studio apartment so finding a place in the house to put a stroller would be a pain.

Also we started off with a convertible carseat instead of an infant bucket one, so a stroller/travel system wasn't needed.

I like the system we have. I probably won't get a stroller unless, as we have more children, the need arises.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#48 of 50 Old 08-09-2008, 06:07 PM

I have a 3 yo and a 10 wk old
I'd like to bw more but have a bad back from a car accident
i use strollers about 40% of the time.
i live in the suburbs and walk the neighborhood alot. it is an old neighborhood, so the sidewalks suck.

i have a cheapo umbrella stroller - never use it
a zooper swing (pricier, larger umbrella stroller) loved for ds1 - this is a great stroller
a snap n go (fits the snug ride carseat) used for both - this is the one I use most now good for when ds is asleep.
a 20 yr old, 3rd hand, (still in great shape) single baby jogger good for walking the dog on grass

and my dream stroller the bob revolution duallie great for the mall, farmers market, zoo and walking the dog on grass. this accepts one snug ride and one toddler, but it is HUGE. we call it the beast of burden.

i also have a bjorn - dh likes this one for walking the dog
a moby wrap i like this for quick in and out when it is not too hot. I use this so the carseat dosent take up space in the cart
and a otsbh (padded ring sling) I didnt like it with ds1, but it is proving useful for ds2

looking into getting an unpadded ring sling for nursing and possible a mei tai so I can wear him on my back

they all have their plusses and minuses and I use/ed all of them for different applications. I almost always carry a carrier of some type in the basket of the stroller.
#49 of 50 Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 PM

I have a great stroller and lots of different carriers. What you need depends on your lifestyle. With my 2nd child we lived in a city w/ a car and didn't need a carseat. This time around I have just used a convertible car seat and not a bucket and it hasn't been a problem. We live in a sub-urban town (w/o the urban place ) and have to drive many places. When we arrive I put him in the carrier or stroller depending on the situation.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#50 of 50 Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM

no stroller here. we gave away the one we had when our first turned 2yrs, and haven't had one since. don't miss it either, honestly.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page