Do you have/ use a stroller? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first is due toward the end of September, and I'm wondering if I should get a lightweight stroller that the carseat will snap into, such as a Graco Metrolite. My plan is to initially get a sling and maybe a wrap (someone already gave us a Baby Bjorn which I figure my husband might end up preferring) and to carry the baby as much as possible.

A friend who didn't carry her baby that much tells me that there will be times when the baby is asleep in his car seat, and I'll not want to disturb him by switching to a carrier. Since this is my first, I also just don't know whether there may be times that I don't want to carry and that the stroller would prove useful. I hope to go on lots of neighborhood walks - on the other hand, it might be easier to carry the baby on the walks, leaving my hands free for the dog. There are grandparents to consider as well, I suppose. They are older and might not be comfortable carrying the baby on outings. This isn't an everyday concern as they don't live where we do.

Anyway, I was wondering whether many of you make do without a stroller at all, and for those of you who have a stroller, do you find you do get much use out of it? DH's parents are planning to get us the stroller that matches the carseat, and I'm debating whether to ask for the sling & wrap instead, and to hold off on a stroller until the baby is bigger. We don't live in a big city, and so when we go places it's in a car as opposed to public transport.

Thanks!
#2 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 PM

I do have a stroller. I find it useful for walks both summer and winter. In the winter around here it is just too icy to walk safely with my ds in a sling. And in the summer, I find it way too hot to walk with him in a sling, especially cause i go power walking and get really hot anyways. When ds was an infant I used the carseat in a shopping cart or a snuggli (didn't know about wraps at that point) when we were out and never a stroller. My stroller is a jogging stroller and doesn't really fit in our car so I use it mainly for long walks. I haven't had my stroller for 7 months, because I moved and just had it sent to me, and I really didn't miss it at all. I'm glad I have it now that it is hot out though. But i find my wrap a million times more useful than the stroller. It's like the wrap is a necessity and the stroller a bonus. Maybe you could hold off on a stroller for a while and see what your needs are. You might not even need one.

caffix.gif

#3 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM

I use both. I don't see anything wrong with owning a stroller.
When DS was a new born I would leave him in his carseat if he was asleep and just snap him onto his stroller.
But if he was awake I'd put him in his sling.
I like using the strolling now mostly for carry crap like diapers and snacks while we go on a walk or to the park lol
#4 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM

A relative gave me a used, clunky stroller and so far my husband has taken DD for one walk in it. We did use it the other day to haul a bunch of groceries back from the store...it was really handy for that. Aside from that, I don't use it. I have an umbrella stroller that I think I will use more when she is gets older and my back needs a rest.
#5 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 03:55 PM

i think it largely depends on where you live and what you do regularly. when i lived in the middle of a city, i used an umbrella stroller (chicco) quite a lot. it rarely carried my kids, though it sometimes did, but mostly it carried our gear so we could take long outings at the zoo or park or to haul groceries home in. i wouldn't have wanted to try to get along without one, it was really handy to have and it get used if not every day, at least a few times a week.

now that i'm living in a rural area, where we have to drive to get anywhere, it has literally sat in our barn for 2 years untouched. when we go for a walk, it's in the woods on our property where strollers would be useless. i can't imagine why i would want to use it in the grocery store or someplace like Target, since i'd have to push it as well as a cart. i always take the baby out of the carseat and pop her in a carrier - if she's sleeping she might stir for a second, then settles back in to sleep once i start moving. i need the cart to contain DS, so i don't want to put the baby's seat on it. and when i take the older kids to a playground or something, i want to have my hands free to help them and be able to chase them if i need to, i don't want to go lumbering after them pushing a stroller or to leave the baby unattended.
#6 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM

I agree with Pixiepunk... how much you will need a stroller really depends on where you live and what kind of lifestyle you lead. I rarely use a stroller because we live out in the country and have to drive to where we want to go. I drive then put our youngest in a carrier and go on with my business. A stroller just gets in my way. If I lived in a city near lots of stores, I would use a stroller much more often.

They can be nice for carrying stuff, but I would always keep a carrier with me. Most of my babies haven't been happy in a stroller for long and I ended up carrying them anyway.

On asking them for carriers.... you should know that finding decent quality carriers is very hard in brick and mortar stores. If you want to get a wrap and sling, do the research, ask on this board and/or www.thebabywearer.com, and find your own carriers. Most of the carriers available at places like BabiesRUs and other chain stores tend to be uncomfortable for mom really soon, and many put baby into an unhealthy position. I'm warning you about this because I would hate for you to get carriers that aren't comfortable and find that you can't babywear once baby gets to 4-6 mo. old.
#7 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Do I have a stroller? Yes
Do I use it? Almost never.

When dh and I were expecting our ds, we thought we needed a stroller and we purchased one of those frames that the infant carseat snaps into will I was still pg. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but this is what we learned: 1) The carseat turned out to be super heavy with a 10lb newborn, so it was not easy to carry. 2) It was cumbersome for me to get the stroller frame out of the trunk and snap in the carseat and it was not pactical for short stops. 3) DS hated sitting in the carseat from day one. He is very high needs and would rather be held 24/7. 4) They take up your whole trunk (espeically if you drive a compact car). 5) Babies rarely stay alseep in the carseat once you move it out of the car.

It ended up that I kept ds in the sling nearly all the time - for short and long shopping trips, for walks around the neighborhood, for hikes in the woods, you name it!

When ds got a little older, we were silly enough to buy one of those big umbrella strollers on steriods (Chicco) - thinking he would ride in it. Again, no. We've used it roughly 3 times, once at a big zoo and twice at different rennaisance festivals. On all occations, the stroller only contained the diaper bag and we carried/wore ds. I recommend an Ergo carrier : (or something along those lines) for wearing toddlers. DS rides on my back while we shop, walk to the library, etc.

This was my expereince. Some people love their strollers, but I found them to be a big waste of money. : I should have spent the money on a couple really nice geman wraps. However, I second what other ppl said about your choice being dependent on you lifestyle and where you live (although I live in town but never touch my stroller). I also add that it depends on the temperment of your child too.
#8 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM

I agree w/ the pp's; how much use U'll get out of it depends on where and how U live. My 1st was born in the winter in the midwest. Even if Id had a sling at the time, there is no way Id take my peacefully sleeping newborn out of his warm, snug carrier to put him in a sling in a cold parking lot. Talk about rude awakening! And having a safe, clean place to change baby was nice, too.
Most ppl I know R glad they have stroller, even if it only gets occasional use. We barely used our double stroller when #2 arrived, but the times I needed it made it worth having. HTH

eta: Do U plan to have more kids? The whole dynamic changes when U have another, esp if U have them close. And if U plan on more, buying the stroller now JIC, knowing U'll probably use it more when U have another, isnt a bad idea IMO.

Child of God, wife of sexy man, & mother of 3 beautiful blessings
#9 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 05:55 PM

I didn't have a stroller with DD- well I did- but not one that the carseat popped into. I had a big jogger that I used when she was about 6 mo and I had a cheapy umbrella that I probabaly used way too early. It got us by in conjuntion with a snugli.

Now though with 2 little ones I can't tell you how lost I would be without my double stroller and Ergo and hotslings. In fact I am totally considering getting a triple for when my next lo gets here.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#10 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 PM

It depends on whether you plan to use the car a lot. If they're asleep in the car seat it's often easier to snap them into a stroller than wake them up to put them into a carrier. But where I live I was mostly walking places when he was first born, not getting in the car, so the stroller was hardly used. But, I did get a jogging stroller and have used that a ton (once he was old enough to go in it) for jogging. That's not something you can do with a sling! lol
#11 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM

I haven't read all the responses, so sorry if I'm repeating anyone...

We have the Metrolite stroller, and we did get a lot of use out of it when DD was tiny. When she was sleeping in the carseat, it was definitely easier to just pop it in the stroller rather than taking her out and waking her up.

Since she was tiny, I have used it maybe twice. It does come in handy though- like when I'm getting my hair cut (kind of awkward with a baby on your lap ), or if I want to try clothes on at a store or something.

For walks, grocery shopping, etc. I just wear her- way easier to be hands free!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#12 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfbrenda View Post
On asking them for carriers.... you should know that finding decent quality carriers is very hard in brick and mortar stores. If you want to get a wrap and sling, do the research, ask on this board and/or www.thebabywearer.com, and find your own carriers. Most of the carriers available at places like BabiesRUs and other chain stores tend to be uncomfortable for mom really soon, and many put baby into an unhealthy position. I'm warning you about this because I would hate for you to get carriers that aren't comfortable and find that you can't babywear once baby gets to 4-6 mo. old.

Thanks everyone for your perspectives - it's very helpful!

Brenda, thanks for the tip. I got lots of helpful advice on this board a couple of weeks ago about slings, wraps and other carriers. I'm planning on getting a Maya Lightly Padded Ring Sling and possibly a Moby Wrap, then later on when the baby's bigger an Ergo and/or woven wrap and/or Mei Tai. If I ask the in-laws for a carrier I'll direct them to my Amazon registry - you can get the Maya and Moby there.
#13 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM

I have one of those evenflo strollers with the large storage basket and everything. I use it at least once a day (we don't own a car so we walk everywhere) I would be completely lost without it.
#14 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 PM

I have three kids (oldest is 5 1/2) and I don't use a stroller. I do have a decent babywearing (and toddler and child) stash.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#15 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post
Thanks everyone for your perspectives - it's very helpful!

Brenda, thanks for the tip. I got lots of helpful advice on this board a couple of weeks ago about slings, wraps and other carriers. I'm planning on getting a Maya Lightly Padded Ring Sling and possibly a Moby Wrap, then later on when the baby's bigger an Ergo and/or woven wrap and/or Mei Tai. If I ask the in-laws for a carrier I'll direct them to my Amazon registry - you can get the Maya and Moby there.
Great plan! :
#16 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 PM

The 2 pieces of baby gear I couldn't live without are my Moby wrap and my stroller (just a regular fold-down Graco stroller). In my experience it depends on the baby's personality which one you'll use more. With my first son he wanted to be worn/held all the time except for on walks around the neighborhood. My second son is happier in the stroller when we're out and about but loves to be worn around the house.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#17 of 50 Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 PM

We didn't really start using our stroller until my son was around 9 months old , and then it was nice for walks on hot days. Usually it's too much of a hassle to tote around, but comes in handy for vacations and other long excursions with a ton of walking.
#18 of 50 Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 AM

We have a double stroller but my baby did not ride into it until he was 7 months old! We take the stroller for the older two incase they get tired and to hold all of our crap. lol
#19 of 50 Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 AM

just got one for dd last month at the nanny's insistence. i think most folks can get by without one until the babe reaches about 20 lbs. at that point i don't think a snap and go would do ya length-wise, i think you would want an umbrella stroller. at least that's what we did.

oh, i did have a jogging stroller before the umbrella but dd hated it -- i think it was the recline.

my baby really strongly prefers to be worn/held by mama. with others (nanny) it's a different story.
#20 of 50 Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 AM

I used both a stroller and a sling/carrier extensively for both our boys. Sometimes I think it's great to have a safe place to set a child down or to have a cart on wheels to push the diaper bag and other items around in ! LOL ! However, I think I only actually put the carseat into the stroller once or twice. It made the stroller top-heavy and more difficult to maneuver, and also less useful. Without the carseat in it, I could use the stroller for diaper changes and also for carrying the diaper bag and packages while I had the baby in the sling. If the carseat was in it, it was just in the way. After trying that a couple times I never did it again. Usually I left the carseat in the car, snuggled the baby into the sling, popped the diaper bag into the stroller and off we went. If at some point the baby wanted out of the sling or I wanted to try something on or just really needed to set him down, the stroller was right there.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#21 of 50 Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post
A friend who didn't carry her baby that much tells me that there will be times when the baby is asleep in his car seat, and I'll not want to disturb him by switching to a carrier.
My DD wakes up when I take her out of her car seat, but falls right back to sleep as soon as I get her in the wrap

[/QUOTE]I hope to go on lots of neighborhood walks - on the other hand, it might be easier to carry the baby on the walks, leaving my hands free for the dog. [/QUOTE]

I wear DD on neighborhood walks, but we do use a stroller for longer walks (more than a mile). At the end of our neighborhood there is a really great bike path that we like to take long walks on. I always end up making several stops to nurse, and always stash a sling in the stroller (BOB Revolution) in case DD wants to be carried.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#22 of 50 Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 PM

Yes I have a stroller and yes I use it...as a shopping cart. The first year DD was always worn, and now the only time we use the stroller is when we have a bunch of stuff to take with us so we can load it up. Plus we live 2 mintues from the beach and need to carry toys and fishing rods. But when we lived in the city I hardly ever used a stroller at all.

PS You shouldn't leave your Babe to sleep in a carseat anyways, the angle that their neck is bend makes it harder for them to breath proper and increases the chance of SIDS. I stop moms in the store when ever I see a sleeping babe in a carseat.
#23 of 50 Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I have one of those evenflo strollers with the large storage basket and everything. I use it at least once a day (we don't own a car so we walk everywhere) I would be completely lost without it.
This. I'm a HUGE babywearing fanatic, but my seven month old dd is already 23 lbs, and even in a mei tai or an ergo - on long walks, I start to get sore.

Plus, it is nice to haul around extra stuff when we're at the beach, camping, long shopping excursions, etc.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#24 of 50 Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM

I only use it when I'm getting a lot of stuff at the grocery store (we walk there). Sometimes I just need the storage. I have two kids, so even with a stroller I end up bwing.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#25 of 50 Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes i have a stroller. i find the snap and go seats useless. i rather have my baby facing me in the stroller not the world. hard to have eye contact and seeing what they are doing in a facing out stroller. i have never had my baby/toddler want to look the other way. i also love the strollers that lie flat the snap and go dont. strollers are great when you are buying lots of stuff or in winter where you can stick all the jackets: not great if you take public transit any bw is beter.
#26 of 50 Old 07-19-2008, 12:14 AM

Yes, we have a stroller. It was a generous gift. But, we just don't use it that often. Since DD was born, we have worn her in our Hotslings pouch most of the time (at home and on the go). I may sell it on Craigsist. Before DD was born, I thought that a regular stroller was a must. But, as time goes by, they seem less useful.

Update:

I did sell the Zoooper on Craigslist (for a song!)...it was originally a gift. I no longer recommend this stroller (even for occasional use). I had mentioned it as a contender in a previous post or two (both are now locked). Although we rarely used this stroller, I had to replace the wheels and the canopy in less than a year. Mind you, we had only used the stroller a handful of times...DD was/is worn.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#27 of 50 Old 07-19-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Do I have a stroller? Yes
Do I use it? Almost never.

When dh and I were expecting our ds, we thought we needed a stroller and we purchased one of those frames that the infant carseat snaps into will I was still pg. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but this is what we learned: 1) The carseat turned out to be super heavy with a 10lb newborn, so it was not easy to carry. 2) It was cumbersome for me to get the stroller frame out of the trunk and snap in the carseat and it was not pactical for short stops. 3) DS hated sitting in the carseat from day one. He is very high needs and would rather be held 24/7. 4) They take up your whole trunk (espeically if you drive a compact car). 5) Babies rarely stay alseep in the carseat once you move it out of the car.
:
That is exactly our experience. We still have our stroller and it is collecting dust and taking up space in our tiny studio right now. I keep hoping maybe one day ds will go in it ONCE IN A WHILE to give my poor back a break, but I am doubting it more and more each day.
#28 of 50 Old 07-20-2008, 05:33 PM

I have a stroller. I use it in the mall- mostly to carry bags and I have dd in the MT. Ive also found that it's useful when eating to put her in there. She's at the stage where she's too small for the highchair but doesnt like to me to sit while she's in the sling. I also used it when we went to disney. I'd say I babywear 90% of the time and use the stroller 10%.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#29 of 50 Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 PM

I just got a jogging stroller that you can snap the car seat into. I absolutely love it. I walk at least 2 miles a day with it. Before I had it I was doing that with ds in a wrap, and by the end of the day my back was TIRED. I still wear him constantly at home and at the store, just not for long walks when I need to carry a lot of other things too. I did kind of have some guilt when I bought it though, it was expensive and I know that it was not a necessity, just a "niceity."

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#30 of 50 Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 PM

We have a stroller that was bought for ds by my gma... I have never used it, but DH uses it when he brings ds to see me at the mall where I work on the weekends. I always take ds out of the car seat even if he's sleeping, I've just found that works best for me. DH on the other hand can get the baby to sleep much easier in the stroller if they are out and about. DH has a baby k`tan baby carrier, and he does use it sometimes, but I just think he feels more comfy with the stroller. Even with that in mind, I dont think he would suffer if we had not had a stroller.

Momma to my pants pullin down, potty learnin, "Beeeeeg Boy" who now knows his, phonetically difficult for a toddler, name! Plus 2 dogs, 35 rats, & 5 or so bunnies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page