Moby Wrap or Sleepy Wrap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to try wearing this baby, she is my first tho so I don't know which to get? I don't really like slings, I haven't used them, LoL, but they just don't look as 'comfy' to me. So I was going to try a wrap first, but I can't decide between the Moby or the Sleepy wrap. Any recommendations or insight for either? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Weelll, I haven't actually worn a BABY yet, but I have practiced with a teddy bear...

A friend gave me a Moby, and I think I'm going to like it. It takes a bit of practice, but I think I have the basics down now. It's a nice wrap because you can use it for newborn-->toddler. The bad thing (I think) is that there is a steeper learning curve than with a pouch or something a little simpler.

The fabric is so soft and I love the colors they have, and DH and I can use the same wrap, which is awsome!

I hope that helps a little bit.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Stretchy wraps actually aren't so great past 15lbs, so if you really want to get a carrier that lasts I would go for a woven wrap. After awhile, stretchy wraps start to sag under the baby's weight and they become unsupportive and require readjustment every 20 minutes (very annoying!). But they are good for newborns and a great way to cheaply get the "feel" of wrapping!

Honestly, the only real difference between the two brands you specified are the names. There's not much that CAN be different between the two, so just go ahead and pick on (based on price, color, availability, whatever) and go for it

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM

I used the Moby for dd for quite a while (in different positions depending upon her age)--maybe up until about 9 months and I loved it. I never used a Sleepy Wrap, though, so I cant compare.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM

I wore DD#2 until recently. I personally don't like any stretchy wrap after the baby hits about 10-15 lb. They start to feel awkward and droopy. Even with my slings, I prefer non-stretchy ones- cotton and linen woven fabrics are wonderful. I like ring slings and asian style carriers best. My moby got used a few times and has since sat totally unused. I've never used a sleepy wrap- is it stretchy?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In keeping with the DDC Guidelines, I am moving this to babywearing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 AM

From what I understand the two are very similar, although I've never used a Sleepy wrap myself. I have heard that the Sleepy wrap material is a little thicker/warmer.

I agree with pp that stretchy wraps are not great after 10-15 pounds. However, I found mine totally worth it for those early days. (Maybe, admittedly, because my peanut was tiny and didn't reach 15 pounds for a long time!)

A good woven wrap is very appropriate for a newborn and will last your whole babywearing career, through toddlerhood. However, it's not as easy to learn for a newbie and is a bit harder to pop the baby in and out.

So for me, having a stretchy wrap was totally worth it, even for the limited time it was useful. I just wouldn't spend lots of money on one. You can get one used for $20-30 usually on the FSOT over at thebabywearer.com

another brand to think about is the Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch. I have not personally tried this yet but plan to with the next newborn. It is supposedly stretchier but not AS much as the moby or sleepywrap, and therefore lasts longer. Also, it is supposed to be cooler for summer.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 PM

I absolutely love a stretchy wrap for a newborn. I used both the Moby and the Sleepy Wraps with my now-8 month old, and although I agree that they're not very useful past about 18-20 pounds, I think they're great before that.

I really like the fabric of the Sleepy Wrap and I love the way the edge rolls in, but I didn't find it as supportive as the Moby. My baby is pretty heavy, and I had to give up using the Sleepy Wrap before she outgrew the Moby.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List