Babywearing hits mainstream! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but I just stumbled upon this as I was looking at sewing patterns:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5...hildren&page=1

As a die-hard babywearer, I am so happy to see that babywearing has become mainstream enough that one of the big pattern companies has put a pattern out! I'm just blown away! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 PM

Cool. Straps look a little thin on the mei tai though...
Old 07-27-2008, 12:42 AM

Cool!

Target.com and Buy Buy Baby stores sell Hotslings!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 AM

I saw at the farmer's market this morning that Snugli is now making a ripoff of the Ergo (it looked kind of cheap and not really all that comfortable, though).
Old 07-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Yeah, my concern is that it's not a great pattern. I wish the companies making these patterns and ripping off well-thought-out carriers would take the time to educate themselves on what's safe and ergonomic for both parent and child.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM

There's a critique of this pattern (or several critiques) on TBW.com.
I forgot a lot of the criticisms, but it was a mixed review.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM

I have seen TONS of moms this summer sporting all sorts of slings, wraps and carriers. And I get asked about mine every single time I am out and using one of mine - both by moms with babies and by people wanting to get them as gifts for baby showers. I started wearing them 2 years ago when I had dd and all I ever saw was the occasional bjorn-style carrier. I think word of mouth and fabric style concerns mean that moms new to babywearing are more willing to consider different brands and styles.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Yeah, they had a mom wearing her baby in a ring sling in one of the last issues of American Baby. Now everyone thinks that babywearing is this new "trendy" thing.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey, its great for babies for babywearing to be trendy!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-hippymom View Post
hey, its great for babies for babywearing to be trendy!
Oh yeah, I know! What I meant was that everybody thinks it's this new thing. People see me wearing my daughter in the grocery store and they will say things to me like "oh, I've never seen anything like that before!" or "wow, they didn't have those when I had kids."

I just want to laugh and say "really? You never watched National Geographic or saw a picture of a Native American with a baby or anything?"

If they've seen one, it's because it was on the cover of a magazine and I'll hear something like "oh wow, Katie Holmes carries her baby that way" or something

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 PM

I've gotten a lot of comments from people who "wished they had such a great carrier when they were parenting." Um, duh! Carrying is much, much older than you.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
I've gotten a lot of comments from people who "wished they had such a great carrier when they were parenting." Um, duh! Carrying is much, much older than you.
Oh, yes. If only I had a quarter for every time I've heard that.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have the McCall's pattern (picked it up for .99), and it is, unfortunately, pretty crappy. The fabrics they suggest for the Mei Tai aren't well thought out or appropriate at all (ie no discussion of using bottom weight fabric for the straps and at least one body layer), and they don't use proper construction techniques for safety, like X-boxes to attach the straps. IIRC the whole thing is just turned and topstitched, so the straps are basically only attached at the seam, although I may be remembering incorrectly. I know there's no x-boxes, though.

It's too bad they didn't consult with someone who knew what they were doing when they designed that pattern - I could see babies getting hurt, especially if the person doing the sewing is inexperienced and doesn't recognize how inadequate the construction technique is.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM

I know- I get "Oh, wow, I wish they had that when I had babies..." all the time. Um, it's about eighteen feet of fabric. Not sewed or anything. They didn't have cloth when you had your kids?

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM

I had no idea babywearing wasn't mainstream. I guess I see it so often, I have never considered it crunchy, quirky, etc.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
It's too bad they didn't consult with someone who knew what they were doing when they designed that pattern - I could see babies getting hurt, especially if the person doing the sewing is inexperienced and doesn't recognize how inadequate the construction technique is.
exactly, exactly, exactly. i spent a lot of hours researching and preparing before I made my first MT. There is no way I am taking any chances with the well being of my child!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 PM

I'm so surprised that I don't see it more. If only everyone knew how much easier it makes things, and how much more wonderful the bonding is for you and your baby. My son loves it and so do I!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Yeah, they had a mom wearing her baby in a ring sling in one of the last issues of American Baby. Now everyone thinks that babywearing is this new "trendy" thing.
First Ricki Lake made homebirthing trendy, and now babywearing is trendy too? I've never been so cool in my life.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
I know- I get "Oh, wow, I wish they had that when I had babies..." all the time. Um, it's about eighteen feet of fabric. Not sewed or anything. They didn't have cloth when you had your kids?
well to be fair people didn't have access to the same information that we do now. had our babies been born 20 or even 10 years before they were, most of us would be using snuglis and then switching to strollers because of back pain.

User Tag List