What's your favorite type of sling?!!! - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What's your favorite sling?
Wrap Sling 19 30.16%
Ring Sling 14 22.22%
Mei Tai 15 23.81%
Pocket Sling 6 9.52%
Ergo 5 7.94%
Other 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the mei tai, but I find the straps to generally be too thin. The moby has great straps, but it takes forever to get on, which is hard if baby's crying. I'd love to see if there's a general favorite! :
#2 of 25 Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 PM

I can't pick one.

I love my DIY wrap. I love that I can put DD on my back. But it takes some effort to get her back there so I only use it for times she'll stay for a while. I'd really love one of the good woven wraps. A diddy or a storch etc. I'd really love a Pfau.

My ring sling is my pretty carrier. It's apple green silk. I haven't mastered using it yet but I'm learning a hip carry and dd seems to like it. I'd like to try a different shoulder style in linen or cotton.

My pouch is so simple. It's my keep in the car quick errand carrier.

Next I want to try a mei tei.

Actually, I'm just addicted.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#3 of 25 Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 AM

To me a wrap is the most comfortable and they look so pretty on. Not to mention you can use them in SOOO many different ways!
#4 of 25 Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 AM

I clicked other. I like the wrap in the winter and when I"m wearing the baby for a long time, but I don't find it goof for a lot of in & out. I love my MT (it's a kozy). I find it very comfortable. I have an ergo, but I don't find it too comfortable for long periods. It's great for picking up dd though, since she is up 4 flights of steps and I don't like carrying the baby up so much. I also like the ergo for a back carry. I haven't tried the MT on the back yet t hough, it's new for this baby and he's still good in the front

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 25 Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 AM

With out a doubt a wrap, especially for the fist 9 months, after that I like to use a structured carrier like a ergo, or beco butterfly

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
#6 of 25 Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It totally depends on the occasion, the weather, the babys age and size...

baby is 3 months old...
Right now if running in the store quick I grab my pouch sling.
If long shopping trip the mei tai.

When she another month or so older I will switch to the Ergo for longer trips...still pouch when running in..

I used a ring sling when my first one was little...but not a fan too much now..
#7 of 25 Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM

right now I carry DD in a pouch most often b/c it is easy. but I also love using my moby, rs & mt. the rs is good for when we are out in the sun b/c I can use the tail as a sun shade. the moby is great for at the laundromat b/c I have both hands totally free & she'll sleep the longest in there. I like the mt for when we go on longer walks b/c it has padded straps & is a not quite as hot as the moby.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#8 of 25 Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like wraps and mei tai's are the most popular. I wonder, has anyone tried one of these:

http://www.mangobaby.com/

?

I found the site awhile ago, they look like a nice mix of a wrap and a mei tai. I wonder if they're super comfy...maybe I should be the guinea pig
#9 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 AM

It depends on the age of the child, IMO.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#10 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM

What MTs have you tried?

I found more info at thebabywearer.com .....

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...ght=mango+baby

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...ght=mango+baby

I don't have a favorite either. It depends on weather, situation, age and weight of child, etc. I use wraps, ring slings, MTs, and SSCs and like them all for different reasons and at different times.
#11 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM

I'm like Brenda, I use them all.

But if I had to run back into my burning house for only ONE, I guess I'd take a Maya wrap LP ringsling. Newborn through toddler, it would always work, albeit not always 'best.'

It sounds like you just need a different type of MT- maybe one with wider straps. My first MT was actually a MT hybrid- a Babies Beyond Borders. It was perfect for my growing baby. I was attracted to the price point and the wide shoulders, with a structured waist. Mind you, I ended up liking them so much that I now do customer service for BBB, just so you know.

There are so many great MT's out there- www.attachedtobaby.com is a great place to shop, or just c'mon over to www.thebabywearer.com

GL! Meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#12 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM

i love woven wraps. they are so versatile and adjustable and comfortable. after my wraps come my chunei because it os so easy to get on and off and also very comfortable. the torso carry is really nice when i have sore shoulders

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#13 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 AM

I can't decide. It changes with baby personality, age and stage, and activity. I love wraps for newborns. Ring slingsw are super versitile, but make my body sore after a while. Pouchs are great for up and down toddlers. The Ergo is lovely when walking or hiking, but kinda uncomfortable to me when nobody is in it. Not sure what a pocket sling is? My ASBC was a homemade Mei Tei, and not at all practical for everyday- it was velvet and satin for my sisters January wedding. It was beautiful, but not washable, and very hot besides. But comfortable, and very worth it for the occasion. (I was her matron of honor, and ds was only a year, iirc.)

Laura, mama to J (11), N (8),E (5) , and M (2). Baby #5 expected in Dec 2010!
#14 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM

Ergo is the only "brand name" instead of type of sling listed. So I voted Other.
I love SSC's, just not the Ergo.

I can't live without my 4th gen Beco, or my Patpum, or Hapai Baby. And I've added a Medley Alpino very recently. I have yet to decide if I like it.
#15 of 25 Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM

I voted "other". I had different favorites for different ages. I never wore a newborn, so I can't say for that age. For a while (4-6 months?) I swore by pouches. Then it was ring slings until DS hit about 25 pounds (2 years?). After that, it was mei tais and ssc's. I never tried wraps, but hear they're fantastic (I can't wait to try them!).

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#16 of 25 Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Definitely try a mei tai with wider straps if you like everything about yours except the straps.

Happy Cruiser, Beanslings, and some others have wide lightly padded straps.

Maya Tie, OMT (Octi Mei Tai), and some others have wrap straps - no padding, very wide straps.

Sugar Tai have very wide, very lightly padded straps you can fold to make narrower if you want.
#17 of 25 Old 08-09-2008, 11:18 AM

while I voted one, indicating a wrap or ring for the long and multi position versatility.

and ease of care.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#18 of 25 Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM

I find myself always going back to the ring sling. It's so easy to get a baby in and out. Myself and all of our babies have also liked facing out carries which I find ring slings good for until baby is too heavy and needs something else. I've done front kangaroo type carries up to a year no problem.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#19 of 25 Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Wrap hands down. I use a wrap 99% of the time. Soft, comfy, can be used for front, back, hip carry...or use it as a towel, blanket, snot rag.. And they look so fun.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#20 of 25 Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 AM

I use my pouch sling (hotsling) 90% of the time these days (6 week old babe).

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#21 of 25 Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM

I love my wraps. Tried a few other things and came back to the wraps so now I have three, in different weights for different seasons/moods/carries. I love the versatility, they can do every carry the other carrier types do plus more, and they can do things the others can't - become a blanket, a changing pad, a shade cover, a towel, a pillow or even wrap around a little one in a shopping cart or to convert a chair into a 'high chair' so the baby has somewhere to sit! No ergo or mei tai can do all that.

If you wrap nearly daily, you get pretty quick at it and the baby gets so used to it they just hold still and hang out on your back looking around or grinning like crazy while you wrap them up.
#22 of 25 Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM

I used my pouch sling (Peanut Shell) until a few weeks ago when I switched to a Zolo ring sling. I looooove my Zolowear ring sling. DD loves it now that we're doing the Kangaroo hold. She did not care for the cradle hold.

I have a mei tei, but it feels so bulky to me. I am rather short so I always get so tangled in the straps while tying her on. DD only likes the mei tei if she is facing out. She's so curious now that tummy to tummy holds frustrate her. She wants to see the world around her!

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#23 of 25 Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 AM

My favorite is my DIY straight strap Podaegi. Its quick on and off, pretty and comfortable! After that come my 2 Ellaroo Podaegi (all of these are narrow). I have a wide blanket POD but I am not yet feeling the love.

I also quite like the DIY Scandi style MT I just made...not as much as my POD but its nice.

I like my ring slings too.

Just depends on my mood I guess.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#24 of 25 Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 AM

I don't know what the generic name for the type of carrier that an Ergo is. But I love mine.

When ds was little I used a snuggli and a baby bjorn. i liked them at at the time but the concept of babywearing was novel to me and foreign to most folks around me. in hindsight, and after trying several other varieties, the snuggli and baby bjorn were terrible.

when dd was new, i used the moby wrap, which i totally loved. even though it can be a pitb to wrap, you can get such a great custom fit and i could wear a long time - though i never got the hang of nursing in the wrap, so it was a lot of in and out.

then i got a fitted pouch when she was about 4 mos old, which i also loved because it was so easy to pack around and get her into and out of. however, the two-shoulder hold of the wrap feels better to me than the one shoulder hold of a fitted pouch.

then i got an ergo when dd was about 5 mos old and had great head control. i have been hopelessly in love ever since, because i can wear her FOREVER in that thing. she and i both love it. our family went to norway for a 2 week vacation - in the winter - and i didn't bring a stroller. i just carried her around in that. it has come in handy so many times, particularly in airports. i just don't hurt at all when i carry her in that.

i've kind of become an evangelist for the ergo carrier, actually (and i'm not even paid for it!) - i nag all my friends to get them.

Mama to my talkaholic DS (Oct 2003) and my climbaholic DD (May 2007).
#25 of 25 Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 PM

the ergo is a soft structured carrier or ssc

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page