Moby wrap back carry, using couch or chair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I have a 4.5 month old, and I have a Moby Wrap that I love. I think we're ready for a back carry (my baby is strong, and can hold his head up very well).

The Moby Wrap carry instructions that came with it only offer instructions for a back carry using "partner assistance". I have a wonderful DH, but he's only around evenings and weekends, and I'd really like to get baby up on my back during the day.

Like many, I'm more than a little nervous about trying to get baby up on my back by hiking him over my shoulder ~~ I'm pretty klutzy, petite, and have a big baby. I remember some time ago, probably when I was pregnant, seeing a demo somewhere, either in photos or video, of getting a baby onto your back by putting him on a couch or chair & going through some steps that way. For whatever reason, that seems easier or safer to me, but I could be wrong.

I have been searching the 'net for an hour or so trying to find these instructions, and I give up! Does anyone here have any info they can share on this method? Links?

I suppose if I can't find it, I'll have to get brave :
#2 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just saw the post below about back carrying without a partner, which was helpful. Still interested in input if anyone has any!

Thanks!
#3 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

I'd do it over a bed. Hopefully you've got a full lenght mirror you can put in front of you, and your behind up against the bed, and if the baby falls, he only falls 2 feet onto the soft bed.

That said, I firmly believe that a Moby is way too narrow for a back carry. Especially if you have a big baby. It will be much eaiser for you to wrap him on your back with a wider piece of fabric. A sheet ripped in half, a swimsuit sarong, or some fabric from Joanns would work much better.

There are great instructions at mamatoto.org
#4 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 PM

I love my moby. However I don't think it's the right one for a back carry. Even with partner assistance, it feels WAY too precarious to me, and DD has a habit of pulling her arms out of the thing, and I just don't think it's safe enough for us when she's on my back b/c I can't compensate for her houdini-like abilities.

Honestly, if you are planning on doing a good deal of back-carrying, I'd get a mei tai or similar, or make one. They're pretty easy to make.

If you really want to try by yourself, I found the couch easier than the bed .
#5 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 PM

It's very difficult to get a stretchy wrap tight enough to be secure for a back carry. It's possible... but I wouldn't chance it. I would get a mei tai or woven wrap for back carries for a baby that age. A soft structured carrier would probably work too.
#6 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM

Don't back wrap with a Moby!!! Get a non-stretchy wrap for that!

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#7 of 9 Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I suppose this could be predicted ~ anyone have any suggestions on their favorite back carriers? I now have a carrier addiction, I suppose. I have the Moby, and an Obi carrier by Beco -- like them both for different reasons. However, I very much want to be able to back carry, and certainly want to do it safely. Anyone have any suggestions for their fave back carriers? I'd love not to have to spend a ton of money on yet ANOTHER carrier

I believe also that I've seen baby carriers made on Etsy, another one of my new addictions, so I welcome suggestions re handmade, too.

Perhaps I should start a new thread now, and maybe I will. Sorry to be annoying ~ appreciate your help very much.
#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 AM

I wouldn't do a back carry in an Obi (or any x-shape carrier, unless it'd been modified for that purpose).

I prefer back carries in a mei tai.

Me - Historian, doula, lactivist, crafty chick, wife, and very, very busy mama

#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM

If 2 carriers is an addiction, then I'm nuts! LOL I have.. um.. a few more than that. But they are tools, right? Usable for different situations.

Anyway.... I would suggest a mei tai. I like Babyhawks and Kozys the best for beginners.... good quality, comfy for most people, and easy to find used for a decent price.

Or you could look at soft structured carriers like Ergo, Beco Butterfly, Action Baby Carrier, Calyx...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page