Which Bjorn to buy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mama's!

I am in the market to buy a Bjorn. I have been looking on Ebay, and there are several different kinds. I have a 2 week old, who is about 8lbs. I am fairly small (5'), but have a large chest, which has proven to make the other carrier I was given a big pain!

Does anyone have any advice on which one to look for? I would also consider a Moby, if I found one that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 08-30-2008, 08:45 PM

If I were you I´d order a Sleepy Wrap online. The Sleepy Wrap is almost the same price ($34 instead of $40 + delivery).
The Sleepy Wrap is more elastic, easier to start wearing your baby and taking your baby out of the Bjorn.

I have three Bjorns at home, Baby Bjorn, Moby Wrap and a Sleepy Wrap. I really like my Sleepy Wrap. My daughter is almost 7 months old and I am always using my bjorn more and more.

I was given the wrap when my daughter was like 10 days old and during evenings she cried a little. When I wore her on my stomach she stopped crying and fall asleep.
#3 of 10 Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 PM

thebabywearer.com. you can find almost anything there used at great prices.

check out this article (that someone else posted about a week ago): http://nhapmom.wordpress.com/2008/08...ers-no-bjorns/
#4 of 10 Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM

Definitely check out thebabywearer for used mobies or other stretchy wraps. You can nearly always find one for $20 - $25 shipped.

We bought a bjorn and just hated it - it's really uncomfortable. They are popular because they are well-marketed, but they are a big rip-off for the money in my opinion.

The other carrier we used a lot when I didn't want to use the moby wrap was a mei tai. Babyhawk was my favorite brand.
#5 of 10 Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM

If you're open to a Moby, consider buying a length of knit fabric and cutting it to width and go from there. The are instructions here. I like to make mine a little wider than they said, so I only got 2 wraps out of my fabric.
I did this for the first 10 months and it cost me 10 dollars for two wraps. It worked great and was much much more comfy than my bjorn which dug into my shoulders.
#6 of 10 Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 PM

Especially with a large chest, I don't think you're going to find that a Bjorn is useful or comfortable.

I think a stretchy wrap, whether you make it yourself or buy it, would be a great option. I also really like a mei tai, both for a newborn and for moms of different shapes/sizes, because a) with the straps it's easy to accommodate your size, and b) it's versatile enough to wear on front or on back so you'll be able to get a couple years' use out of it, which is much longer than you'd be able to use a Bjorn.

I would recommend a tried and true brand, though, and not just something you can find on ebay, as I have seen some really poor quality carriers on there. Kozy, BabyHawk, Sachi, CatBird Baby, MOM Tai, Freehand, Mei Tai Baby are all well-made brands.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM

We got a used bjorn for our son and hated it! It hurt both our backs so bad, and it seems the dangling legs position is not good for the baby. With the new baby we have a Storchenwiege and a Gypsy Mama wrap and I find them versatile, easy to use (easier than my Beco--a gift) and very comfortable for both us and baby. (people may say that the Storch, a woven wrap, is too stiff but if you follow the advice they give for wearing it in it becomes very soft and comfy)

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#8 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM

I was just talking to my SIL this weekend and she has given up on her Bjorn because it left bruises on her baby's chunky thighs - the baby's weight isn't distributed correctly over the bum and legs in that type of carrier - her dd had black and blue marks and that was the last time she used it.

I have to second the recommendation for a wrap - they are totally not as complicated as they seem at first glance, and they are the most multifunctional baby item on the planet.

I learned with a Girasol - super flannely soft, easy to learn with and I am still using a Gira with my 23# dd. If you have a really chunky babe, you might look into a Storch after they get heavier. I had one that was great, and they do get floppy & soft with use.
#9 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Compared to the Bjorn, Moby's certainly don't cost an arm and a leg! They are more than half the price of any new Bjorn.

You won't find many of us here who prefer Bjorns to other carriers. Other carriers are a better value, imo, because they last longer. The Bjorn lasts 5-7 months usually, while other similar carriers. can be used for years.

Some other carriers you might like: Beco and Pikkolo, which can both be used with newborns on into toddlerhood.
#10 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 PM

I would most certainly look into a Wrap and if you like the 'style' of a Bjorn, then try a Pikkolo better overall comfort for you, and better overal comfort for you baby, plus they can be worn on your back

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page