Another sling question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So with my daughter I carried her EVERYwhere. I never put her down but I also didnt use a sling. now my daughter is going to be 19 months when my son is born and I realize that a sling is my best bet so I can still have some free hands. I have NO idea what kind of sling/wrap to get though. I have no sewing skills at all so making one isnt an option. And I need something that is somewhat affordable. Where should I be looking and for what kind?

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#2 of 11 Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Can't believe that no one has responded to you yet. There are soooo many different opinions on this. It all comes down to your comfort and your idea of affordable. I have a new native that I have loved. Many peole don't like this, but it works for me. Read through the guides and look at pictures. Try to imagine what each sling will look like with your body type and check out the prices. Got mine on-line with an unnoticeable defect in the fabric for about $30. Also try www.thebabywearer.com for help. You don't have to sew either. You really can learn to wrap your baby with a piece of fabric. The most help I got with this was on youtube. Good luck.
#3 of 11 Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM

I generally recommend a stretchy wrap (very secure, which is great when running after a toddler!), a ring sling, or an adjustable pouch.
#4 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM

are you going to use the carrier for your 19 month old or newborn? that will affect which one you should purchase.
#5 of 11 Old 09-04-2008, 10:48 PM

For a newborn? Stretchy wrap!! So great - cuddly; hands-free; many positions possible including a very supportive upright tummy-to-tummy; comfy; poppable (i.e. easy to take the baby in and out for diaper changes without removing the wrap).

You can get a used moby wrap on the FSOT at www.thebabywearer.com for $20-25 usually, including shipping. Other good brands are Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch (that one is probably even better, although it's more expensive - it will last longer since it's not SO stretchy), Sleepy Wrap, Hug-a-Bub...
#6 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM

my favorite for a newborn is a ring sling, but they probably have a steeper learning curve than a stretchy wrap (which is nice too, but not useful past the teeny baby phase, at least not with my gigantic offspring )
#7 of 11 Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

It will be for my newborn. Im a pretty small person so I dont know if that affects the kind I should be looking at. Is it easy to nurse while the baby is in it also? We will be moving from a small island to a big town/city when our son is 6 months so I imagine we will be getting a lot of use out of it. But I also imagine it will be great for just around the house too.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#8 of 11 Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Yes, you can nurse in a ring sling or stretchy wrap - those are probably actually the best carriers for nursing.
#9 of 11 Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 AM

I love the ring sling with my newborn and I still use it for my toddler too. Newborn can nurse completely hands free and it's great.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#10 of 11 Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 AM

our favorite carrier for our first child was a ring sling. we loved it because it can be used to seat baby in several different ways - i have particularly inquisitive/outgoing babes. the biggest bonus for me was that i could nurse while shopping/in public w/o having to find a place to sit down and get settled, then she would fall asleep and nap good and long while i got other things done. that was our only carrier for her first year.
we got a stretchy wrap (we chose Moby) for second babe, and dh and i wore her LOTS in it also. Having tried about every other kind there is, i still would personally recommend the wrap and the ringsling. honestly, though, i found the ring sling easier to nurse a newborn in.
#11 of 11 Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM

A great and affordable Ring sling that is comfy is a Maya Wrap LP {LP stands for lightly padded} just on the shoulder...

I also like Gypsy Mama wraps a bit better than moby's because they can last for longer wearing once your babe gets heavier. Moby's tend to sag. you can see GM wraps at http://www.gypsymama.com
I have an almost 5 month old, and I have worn mostly ring slings the entire time since he was a newborn (He prefered them) but he is now letting me wrap him up in Didymos wraps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page