Mei Tai carriers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're interested in one of the Mei Tai carriers for our little one to be (coming April 2009). Has anyone ever used one of these? Any suggestions or recommendations?

thanks!
#2 of 37 Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM

I love my Baby Hawk. We started using it w/ dd when she was about a week old. She is almost 6-months-old now & I use it at least once a day.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#3 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Yup, love mei tais. They're easy to learn and very pretty!

There are lots of great brands. Some are more supportive than others--I have two different brands and one is just more comfortable (I think the fabric used is slightly thicker.)

Your best bet is to find some babywearers in your area and try some on! That way, you can know what you like before you go spend the money.
#4 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM

I have knockoff cuddle n carry wahm made and a sachi and I LOVE them both they are so nice I have been using them with my 1 y/0 dd since she was..... i wanna say20-11 months old and plan to use them right away with this baby They are well worth the investment

E married to "G" 9/06 mama to "A" 6/07 "D" 3/09 "A" due mid sept

#5 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Yep. by far my favorite carrier. We love the kozy.

-Angela
#6 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 PM

I have a sachi that I love. I also had a Baby Hawk so any of these would be excellent. There is such a variety available so it all depends on what you are looking for.
#7 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Definitely my favourite baby carrier. It's the only soft carrier I am able to get on my back without assistance. I have worn my boys from 6 months to 4 years in ours. Very versatile!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#8 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM

I have a babyhawk (well, toddlerhawk) and ellaroo meit tai. Love both a bit differently. You can read reviews of specific brands over at thebabywearer.com

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM

I have a bunch. But my favourite, hands down, for a newborn is a Mei Tai Baby adjustable zippy. It's adjustable, so you can pull the bottom in if you don't want to froggy their little legs. I didn't use it until dd was about 4-5 months but then you have the option. And with the zippy feature, you can get different fabric panels so can change your look all the time without buying a new carrier. You can also get a lovey liner (really snuggly and soft for a newborn) and a removable headrest. The workmanship and quality is extremely high, as well.
#10 of 37 Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 AM

I adore my Babyhawk. We didn't really start using it until DS was about 5 months, but we've been using it non-stop since then. They have this really cool feature on the website where you can play around with all the different color combinations.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#11 of 37 Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM

I LOVE my MT's!! I would highly recommend a BBO (ball baby overall - www.haveaballbaby.com)...they fold up really small, are one of the most comfortable I've found (even for my 26 lb+ toddler!), and have wider, unpadded straps (which I prefer)...for me, they help distribute the weight better than a MT with padded straps (gives me pressure points)...

Wife to my lobster, mama to Dude (6/07), Monkey (3/09), 3 puppers and unexpectedly expecting #3 (edd late June/early July '11)!
#12 of 37 Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM

I love my Kozy(s) and, if I ever get it back from the person who borrowed it, I also love my babyhawk. I love Sachis too but I haven't seen their new design.

I was always more of a mei tai mama and sadly I am all thumbs when it comes to buckle carriers (shhh don't tell, I'm supposed to be an "expert" at babywearing, lol).

-Vijay
#13 of 37 Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 PM

I : my BabyHawk! Mei tais are wonderful, IMO! Definitely I would advise buying one
#14 of 37 Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM

I love wraps, but mei tai's are definitely my second favourite carrier. They're really easy & comfy. Of the professionally made ones, I've only ever tried a Kozy. I made my own mei tai's & find them much more comfy than the Kozy, actually.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#15 of 37 Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 AM

Love them! There are so many great brands now, with so many options -- larger, smaller, padded straps, no padding, padding everywhere, plain, pretty, affordable, luxury... Seriously, I think everyone should have a mei tai, and there's a mei tai out there for everyone!

And mei tais aren't even my favorite type of carrier.
#16 of 37 Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM

I had a Happy Carrier mei tai at first (narrower body for a littler guy) and then a Kozy. I prefer the Kozy. I think you could use it right off the bat if you froggy baby's legs (check out the instructions on the kozy website.) You can find some on for-sale-or-trade on babywearer or diaperswappers. I actually bought both of mine on Ebay for about half the full-price.
#17 of 37 Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momazon4 View Post
I have a bunch. But my favourite, hands down, for a newborn is a Mei Tai Baby adjustable zippy. It's adjustable, so you can pull the bottom in if you don't want to froggy their little legs. I didn't use it until dd was about 4-5 months but then you have the option. And with the zippy feature, you can get different fabric panels so can change your look all the time without buying a new carrier. You can also get a lovey liner (really snuggly and soft for a newborn) and a removable headrest. The workmanship and quality is extremely high, as well.
:
I love my mei tai baby. The quality is great. I've been wearing DD in it since birth and so far I haven't found another carrier she likes. I also have the adjustable zippy, and got DH the flames panel so he can feel manly while wearing her hehehe
#18 of 37 Old 10-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Yep! I love mei tais too. So much so that I started sewing them and have a small addiction to that. LOL.

I've used wahm made MTs from ebay (not comfortable at all), a kozy, and a BH... and of course my own. I would definitely recommend a mei tai to anyone!

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#19 of 37 Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM

I just bought a Kozy and am very impressed with it. We used it yesterday on a day-long trip and my 3 mo dd spent a LOT of time in it and was happy or sleeping most of the time.
The only thing I wonder is when typically one stops keeping the legs inside? It does seem too wide for her little bum and I have to pinch the bottom in a little bit. She doesn't like having her legs inside.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#20 of 37 Old 10-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materfamilias View Post
I just bought a Kozy and am very impressed with it. We used it yesterday on a day-long trip and my 3 mo dd spent a LOT of time in it and was happy or sleeping most of the time.
The only thing I wonder is when typically one stops keeping the legs inside? It does seem too wide for her little bum and I have to pinch the bottom in a little bit. She doesn't like having her legs inside.
I took ds' legs out between 3 and 4 months. But he's big.

-Angela
#21 of 37 Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM

My guy was "legs-out" from birth (but he was quite big and could hold his head up right away too). That's why I liked the contoured body (narrower at the bottom) of the Happy Sling mt at first. I'd say if baby seems comfortable with legs out, go for it!
#22 of 37 Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 AM

I know I will want to use a two shouldered carrier soon because my boys get big fast but I love the poppability of my ring sling and I like being able to pee without having to take him out (I know strange but I have a tiny bladder and drink tons of water)
Does anyone use the potty with dc in the mei tai? Does it work?

And how big poundage wise before you put them legs out? Or is it just body type?

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#23 of 37 Old 11-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
I do! Never had a problem.
#24 of 37 Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I know I will want to use a two shouldered carrier soon because my boys get big fast but I love the poppability of my ring sling and I like being able to pee without having to take him out (I know strange but I have a tiny bladder and drink tons of water)

And how big poundage wise before you put them legs out? Or is it just body type?
Yep. I can pee with baby on my front or back.

-Angela
#25 of 37 Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I took ds' legs out between 3 and 4 months. But he's big.

-Angela
What's big?

Quote:
Yep. I can pee with baby on my front or back.

-Angela

So when you tie it on - do you just tie it up higher? When I have used mine it seems to fit/feel best when I tie it on my hips which would make getting my pants down a little more difficult.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#26 of 37 Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
What's big?
So when you tie it on - do you just tie it up higher? When I have used mine it seems to fit/feel best when I tie it on my hips which would make getting my pants down a little more difficult.
At 4 months he was 20lbs.

I usually tie at my waist. Though I've managed the potty with it tied at my hips in a skirt

-Angela
#27 of 37 Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
At 4 months he was 20lbs.

I usually tie at my waist. Though I've managed the potty with it tied at my hips in a skirt

-Angela
Ds1 was also 20 pounds at 4 months and my chunky 2 month old is on his was to that as well.

I will try to tie at my waist but its too cold for skirts up here:

#28 of 37 Old 11-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Ds1 was also 20 pounds at 4 months and my chunky 2 month old is on his was to that as well.

I will try to tie at my waist but its too cold for skirts up here:
I almost never wear them... But I almost always tie at my waist. It seems to make carrying easier.

-Angela
#29 of 37 Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I almost never wear them... But I almost always tie at my waist. It seems to make carrying easier.

-Angela
Interesting. The only two shouldered carrier I used with ds1 was the Sutemi pack and it seemed to work better when I buckled it lower, more on my hips so I was doing the same thing when tying on the mei tai (Kozy) - like an apron.

I will try to tie it around my waist and see if that helps. Thanks.

#30 of 37 Old 11-06-2008, 03:40 PM

I think an adjustable one would work well since you're starting out with a newborn. Mei Tai Baby is adjustable and so is Silly Goose. The Pikkolo is really a buckle mei tai but looks awesome. I read so many great comments about the pikkolo. If I were to do it all over, I'd buy the Pikkolo first.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page