moby wrap dimensions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know the dimensions of a moby wrap? I'm trying to figure out if one of these would work for my 3yo. I'm fairly petite and don't want to be overwhelmed by too much fabric.
#2 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that brand-name Moby wraps are 23 inches wide by about 5.5 yards long. I made my own Moby-style wrap based on those dimensions, and I love it for the most part. For me, the length is perfect, but I'm a size 16, so you'll probably need quite a bit less. Also, the 23-inch width feels like a bit too much to me -- I think I'd be happier with 20 inches.

They're incredibly easy to make -- just buy 5.5 yards of stretchy cotton fabric and cut it length-wise to the width you want -- no hemming or anything required -- mine has held up through almost 6 months of heavy wear and lots of washes with no fraying or anything. That way you could try it out at 23 inches x 5.5 yards and then cut it down if you feel like it's too big.

(One note if you decide to make your own -- this step would be optional, but it's handy to have some sort of marker at the center of the fabric so that you can line up the center with your belly button when you're putting it on. I embroidered a design in the center, but something as simple as a Sharpie mark or button would work if you don't sew.)

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 02:24 PM

How awesome that you're wearing your 3yo!! But, a stretchy wrap won't work for a 3yo mama! Most people only use a moby or other stretchy until about 15lbs before they start stretching too much. I found the moby too long, too narrow and to heavy. I made my own stretchy and it lasted to right around 15lbs.

What you need is a woven type wrap. There are heaps of brands at different price points, and fsot on TBW is a great place to get a deal. You can also make your own wrap, but you need to find the right material. I'm not much of a DIYer, so here is a link. Good luck!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#4 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd'smom View Post
How awesome that you're wearing your 3yo!! But, a stretchy wrap won't work for a 3yo mama!
Oops -- I didn't notice that part -- I'm so glad you came in and caught it!! Yes, my DD is about 16 pounds, and the Moby is beginning to pull on my shoulders from stretching downward with her weight. A mei tai might be a good choice for a toddler.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 5 Old 10-18-2008, 10:15 PM

Yep, moby won't do it for your big girl.

Options are - woven wrap, mei tai, or soft structured carrier.
There are incredible deals on used ones right now on the FSOT at thebabywearer.com!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page