Help me pick a woven wrap - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-18-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that my second trimester is fast approaching and this new baby is becoming more of a reality to me, I want to start making a list of the few things I want for the newbie. And a woven wrap is one of them.

If the new baby is anything like my son, it will be born over 8 pounds and gain weight quickly. By 4 months my little one was pushing 20 pounds. I want something that I can definitely do back carries with, and even though it will be summer, I'm not too too worried about the weight of the fabric. I can always wear a tank, and we'll have AC.

I'm 5 feet even and will likely weigh around 160ish after the baby is born, dropping to 150ish as my regular weight. I don't want a ton of fabric since I am so short, and I know DP won't use the woven wrap.

I was looking at a Didy or Storch. What do you recommend?

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#2 of 22 Old 10-18-2008, 07:30 PM

I like them all! :

Have you cheeked out their web sites?

They have a good color charts and sizing charts.

I have 3 ellaroo wraps. 2 xs rebozos and a s 3.6m witch is plenty long enough for me. I am 5'3" and 160. I only do a few carries though. (ruck,bwcc)

I also have a didy indio that is a 4.6m I think,can't remember. Indio's are very supportive. it is linnen and cotton,not hot.

I also have a few mobys that I love for newborns!

You should check out the baby wearer site. Great people over there.

They will point you in the right direction!

I am there as well. I am medicmama2

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#3 of 22 Old 10-18-2008, 11:58 PM

I have a merry carry which I like a lot and is a lot less expensive than either Didy or Storch, but it is long and they only come in one size (4.9m). If you sew or know someone who does, you could always chop it shorter. I know a lot of people like didys, but I find the array of choices dizzying, and they are kind of pricy. If you like having tons of choices and have the money then you might like a didy . I might go for a storch as they are also well liked and organic, but less pricy. Definately ask at the babywearer site.
#4 of 22 Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 PM

I like Storches better than Didys. The knot is smaller & they're a bit lighter weight, especially the Leo's.

I'm 5' & 220. I have a 4.6 Leo & 4.6 Inka....or maybe they're 4.2, I don't remember, haven't used them for awhile now. I'll double check if you need me to.

Whichever kind you get, I highly reccomend softening them for awhile before using. I like the sit on them for a few days/weeks method.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 AM

I'd recommend either a Storch or if you go with Didy, either hemp Indio or a linen or wool blend (though most of those are limited editions, so can be harder to find.) They will be much more supportive than a Didy stripes, IMO.
#6 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the opinions so far! Please keep them coming. With so many options available even in those two brands, it's a little dizzying!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#7 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 AM

I own both brands. I like both. To be honest, I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them. Pick the color and pattern you like best.

I have a 28 mo dd who is over 25 lbs. Both my stretchy wool indio Didy and my Ulli Storch are still in use. Just depends on my mood
#8 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM

I my Storch Inka. It's so pretty and so supportive. DS was born at 9lbs and over 20 lbs by 4 months... it was REALLY useful when he was smaller, and is still my go-to carrier for long term wearing.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#9 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM

I always found Didys and Storchs to be gorgeous in theory, but then a little too "blankety" for my taste, but they do soften/thin nicely with repeated washings...

I still am very "middle of the road" in my wrap tastes though, with a strong fondness for Ellaroos and Gypsy Mamas. It depends on your climate too. Climate+budget+pattern/color all factor into the decision.

-Vijay
#10 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM

yep, i agree that you cant go too far wrong with a didy or a storch. or a girasol, especially the new ones as the weave is more supportive. pick the one you like best and buy it! i have owned all three of those brands and they are excellent.
#11 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayOwens View Post
It depends on your climate too. Climate+budget+pattern/color all factor into the decision.
Well, the baby will be born in May, so it'll be a warm summer season. But I also live in Canada, where summer is rather short lived and it will quickly plunge below zero. Not to helpful, eh? That's why I'm thinking I might like thicker a little better.

As for price, I'm not too too worried. I'm hoping it'll be a gift.

#12 of 22 Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM

I have 5 wraps so far; DS is 6MO. We started with a ring sling, made locally and purchased through our birthing center. IMO, a ring sling is the best for newborns. Feels really secure once you get the hang. AFter about 6 weeks, we got 2 Ultimate Baby WRaps and loved them. Went to a babywearing group and got tips on using. But soon after, I started doing some research and came across the Sleepy WRap. OMG!!! Love this wrap. All these wraps are essentially the same, a big rectangle. But with the SW, the fabric is amazing. WE have rEALLY hard water and it still comes out of the wash/dry soft. You tie it TIGHT on you and baby is still comfortable.
http://www.sleepywrap.com/
Finally we have a Maya brand Mei Tai. This has been the biggest challenge as we're still working on getting DS to dig the back carry.

Word of warning, wraps are totally addictive. :
#13 of 22 Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
yep, i agree that you cant go too far wrong with a didy or a storch. or a girasol, especially the new ones as the weave is more supportive. pick the one you like best and buy it! i have owned all three of those brands and they are excellent.
thismama - you're in Canada, correct? Can you recommend a good site/store that carries any or all of the above wraps?

#14 of 22 Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 AM

I'm not thismama but I live in Canada so I can give a few site recs.

For Didymos check out Birdies Room:

http://birdiesroom.com/

For storch I'd check Tadpoles and Butterflies (I've ordered from here and they have great customer service) or Milkface:

http://tadpoles.ca/

http://www.milkface.com/

I also saw this site which is the least expensive for a Storch, but they don't come with the dvd and they don't carry all the colours:

http://www.lovingbaby.ca/

HTH
#15 of 22 Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ElaynesMom!

#16 of 22 Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM

lemurmommies what size are you going with?
I am looking for a wrap too but I am overwhelmed with the lenght choices.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#17 of 22 Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
lemurmommies what size are you going with?
I am looking for a wrap too but I am overwhelmed with the lenght choices.
If I get a Didy I am going to go with a size 5 (4.2m), since I'm ridiculously short and think that a size 6 would leave me with miles of tails. I've also hear that their sizing is "generous" when it comes to their charts. For a Storch, I dunno. 4.1 or 4.6, I guess.

#18 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 PM

I just got my first woven wrap, and I love it. I got a Storch in Leo Natural. It is so beautiful and already so comfortable. I ordered the size according to their sizing chart (a 5.2m because I'm a size 16) and I wish I would have ordered the size smaller.
#19 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM

I am also a size 16, but on the short end of life and I have a 4.6 and it's the perfect length for me. (It lets me do a BWCC and a Ruck with teibetan tie) I've heard it's a lot easier to go longer. You can always get someone to trim it and use the extra piece for something else.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#20 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 05:21 PM

if you're new to wrapping i'd suggest you start with a 4.6m wrap. after you get really good at wrapping and especially if you're doing back carries you will probably be able to do everything with a 4.1/4.2 but having the extra length when you're learning is nice - and a little bit of the tails hanging can look pretty anyway as long as it's not excessive.

you can always shorten it, but you can't make it longer, kwim?

and my opinion is that you should get a storch. they tend to be a bit more heavy duty and more supportive for bigger/heavier babies. i also tend to have big babes and i just laugh when people say they wear their babies in stretchy wraps till they're a year old. maybe i would too if my 1 yo weighed 18 pounds but since they hit that mark at around 4 months, i need something a bit more supportive from quite early on. i prefer MT's and SSC's generally, but a good woven wrap is a nice thing to have and Storch's (and Didy's) have good resale value.

speaking of resale value, you might consider picking one up used. they're actually a lot nicer that way, IMO - already soft and broken in, not so stiff. though it might be tough to manage that if it's a gift i guess.
#21 of 22 Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

After doing more reading, I think I've finally decided what I'm going to get.

For the newborn stage I'm going to get a 4.6m Didy Ellipsen, and then when the baby starts wanting more up-down, I'm going to get a Girasol shorty.

Thanks for all your help!

#22 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM

It sounds like you've already made a decision but I have to say that the Gypsy Mama Stretch are not too stretchy and I LOOOVE mine. It is so soft. A woman who is a big wrapper put mine on and said it was a very supportive nice wrap even for her older dd but still has many of the benefits of a stretchy. Just my .02.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page