when do you wear your babe?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it seems like a dumb question but im new to this and dont know if its easier to just keep ds in car seat and use stroller or to take him out and wear him. do you wake them to wear them? my ds always falls asleep in the car.I think this is my biggest dilema - is it worth waking a sleeping babe to run into the drug store for 5 min and wear him??

so just give me some ideas of the kinds of places you wear your babies to please and if you wear them into restaurants do you keep them on the whole time and eat that way??
Any insight will help.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#2 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm sure you'll get tons of responses from mamas who always choose a sling over a stroller, but if my DD is sleeping and I'm just doing a short in-and-out errand I'll leave her in her carseat and transfer it to the stroller. If I'm doing a longer errand, she'll most likely fall back to sleep in the sling, so I'll transfer her to that.

I also use the stroller in restaurants -- I don't like trying to eat with a baby in my lap, so I'll leave her in the stroller (if she's happy) while I eat and then pick her up.

Places that I wear her are:
*Dropping DS off/picking him up at preschool -- it's great to have my hands free to carry his art projects, snack, etc.
*Children's museum -- the stroller is so hard to maneuver around when it's crowded -- it's nice to be more compact and be able to weave in and out of the crowd easily
*Park -- it's nice to have my hands free to help DS onto the swings, etc., but not have to leave DD by herself in her stroller. Also it's hard to push the stroller on the grass or sand, so she'd have to be quite a ways from us and I wouldn't be comfortable with that
*Grocery store -- DS is still young enough that he usually likes to ride in the cart, so it's handy to be able to wear DD and let DS ride in the cart without having to get a huge double cart or something so that they can both ride in it
*Lately, the pumpkin patch -- again, it's awkward to maneuver a stroller on bumpy ground and in crowds, so wearing her to the pumpkin patch has been nice. Also, the sling doubles as a nursing cover and a blanket for her to lie on if she wants a break
*On fitness walks -- DS rides in a jogging stroller when DH and I go for longer walks, so it's nice to be able to wear DD rather than having to invest in a double stroller. And once DD outgrows the sling, DS will likely be old enough to ride his bike or something and keep up with me and DH

I think once you start just using the sling in certain situations (something small, like a walk around the block), you'll get more and more comfortable with it and start seeing how convenient it'd be to use in more situations.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 AM

I wear my ds everywhere outside my apartment. I can't wear him around the home. The sidewalks are crappy, none existent or used as a car park where I live (Korea) so using a stroller is out even if I wanted to use one. I atually have one but it just sits at home collecting dust.

I do wear him in restaurants and make sure I order food that is easy to eat. Plus, I can just get up and walk around if he gets fussy.
#4 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 AM

We use a convertable carseat so leaving her in the seat isn't an option. We also don't own a stroller. I live in a very rural area and having one just for the rare time it would be useful doesn't make sense for me.
So I always wear her when we are out and about, unless of course Dh wears her.
For what it's worth, it's not a big deal, she usually falls right back asleep after I transfer her to the carrier.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#5 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olien View Post
I know it seems like a dumb question but im new to this and dont know if its easier to just keep ds in car seat and use stroller or to take him out and wear him. do you wake them to wear them? my ds always falls asleep in the car.I think this is my biggest dilema - is it worth waking a sleeping babe to run into the drug store for 5 min and wear him??

so just give me some ideas of the kinds of places you wear your babies to please and if you wear them into restaurants do you keep them on the whole time and eat that way??
Any insight will help.
I put ds2 in the sling whenever we are out but right now we don't do really really short trips if we can avoid it. If he falls asleep in the car seat I am sometimes tempted to leave him in there but then I remember when he does wake up (which he always does) I will have a baby in the sling anyway and a toddler in tow and a clunky car seat to haul back out to the car and then I opt to maybe wake him for a second.

I always bw on shopping trips - Target, grocery and at the library for story time with my toddler, also at the open gym we go to on Fridays. I also bw during the witchinghour and while preparing dinner. I wear ds2 around the house more than I did ds1 because I am better at it now and out of necessity.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#6 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 AM

When DD still fit in her bucket seat I'd leave her in there if she was happy or sleeping and use the stroller or something. However that was rare (she wasn't a fan of her bucket seat) and she outgrew that seat at 3.5 months, so now I wear her everywhere. I have a regular stroller that I use sometimes if I'm walking to the grocery store, but mostly I end up wearing the baby and putting groceries in the stroller. I do use the stroller sometimes in restaurants, though now DD can sit in a high chair, which is nice. I also use the stroller when I volunteer (with DD) because I'm alone for about 4hrs running a desk and sometimes I need somewhere safe to set her down for a minute while I do something (like set up her changing pad).

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#7 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM

When DS was little we use the sling... he'd just go back to sleep. (Our carseat didn't go with our stroller) Now that he's bigger, I generally put him in the stroller and then move him to a sling/wrap/mei tai when he gets fussy.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#8 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
is it worth waking a sleeping babe to run into the drug store for 5 min and wear him??
IMO, no, it's not worth it. Particularly considering you would be wearing him for those 5 min, only to put him BACK into the car seat again! That's the downside of living in the suburbs- you have to drive everywhere. My town is totally designed for driving - there are actually no sidewalks some places!

That being said, if my trip to the store will be more than 15 min or so, I'll wear him. I wear him around the house plenty of times. I wear him on walks & other 'outings' like a neat farm & corn maze I went to this weekend.

I do wear him sometimes at restaurants too,
#9 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Any insight will help.
I wear my ds if he is awake..he also falls asleep easily in the car but if he is awake i stick him int he ring sling and wear him. If its going to be a quick trip then I use the ring sling..if it is shopping in the mall or grocery store..then I use my moby. My ds is 6 months and I typically dont wear him into a restaurant because he is usually eating at that time too.

hope this helps..:
#10 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 PM

I wouldn't wake my baby up simply to wear her. Never wake a sleeping baby!

That said, I do wear her everywhere we go, & around the house, 'cause we don't have a car or use our stroller. The only times I wish I wasn't wearing her if I want to try something on in a shop... but then I just put her on the floor quickly... & if she falls asleep when we're in a restaurant. I've recently started putting her on my back in the Ergo around the house & that is brilliant. I can get so much done!
#11 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Pretty much everywhere. If she is awake or asleep I take her out of her carseat and wear her wherever we are going. We don't have a carseat that you can carry around but I would take her out and wear her anyway. I didn't with my older kids and I didn't have nearly as good carriers.
I wear her for walks, around the house so I can get work accomplished, to the park, in stores, at church. I can't think of a place I haven't worn her.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#12 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM

We used a convertible seat for DS from the start, so I had to take him out of the seat no matter what. I didn't even buy a stroller until he was a toddler.

It didn't even *click* that I could wear him in the house until he was a few weeks old. What an amazing revelation that was. Once I started doing that, he went down for naps easier, slept more, and I stopped burning dinner so often.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#13 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia View Post
I wouldn't wake my baby up simply to wear her. Never wake a sleeping baby!
Usually I would completely agree but if for me I figure if he's tired he will go right back to sleep and he always does. It's so much easier to take that chance then to have to lug the seat, and manage a toddler while trying to shop. But even when I had just one I took that chance. The bucket is just such a pita and most the time I left him in the bucket I ended up wearing him anyway then having to haul the car seat back to the car :

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#14 of 24 Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM

I hate the carseat and so does dd. So for us it's the ring sling for short trips and mei tai or wrap for long ones, especially hikes.
ETA: she wakes up when the car stops, though... so it's not like I'm waking her up or anything.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#15 of 24 Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Banned

I wear DS any time I'm going to be more than half an hour or so...

- grocery shopping
- the mall
- doctor's office

He's really young and it drives me crazy that everyone wants to touch him, so I especially love wearing him to functions like weddings etc. people tend to keep their grubby mits to themselves if they have to deek around my breasts to get to him! LOL

I also wear him in the house when I do housework. I don't wear him while cooking just in case!
#16 of 24 Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 PM

I wear DD all over the place including short trips, around the house, at the gym, in restaurants, shopping. Though I try to avoid 5 min stops unless I have DH around and one of us will stay in the car. I haven't used the stroller outside of the house (if I'm really tired, I'll bring DD around the house in stroller instead of wearing her) and I forgot how to colapse it to put it in the car, so I always wear her. Stollers seem like a lot of work to me...

She also dislikes the carseat, so its easier to wear her, even if it means waking her up, which isn't typical -- she'll fall back asleep if she's tired. We practice EC, so each stop is a good time to offer the potty.
#17 of 24 Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM

I wear DD everywhere. I have a kikoy, or a Kenyan SPOC that is the right size for me to use like a rebozo and wear her on my hip. I am really surprised that I can comfortably wear her for short periods with that. I have a sling and it would kill me after just a few minutes. But for some reason the SPOC is much more comfortable even in the same carry style. I use this at home, for trips to the store/library, etc. If we are going for a walk or hike, something likely to last over an hour? Then we use a maya wrap and DP or I will wear her. In the wrap I wear her on my back cuz she's getting long enough and heavy enough that on the front it's too much for me. I'm on the small side. DP still wears her on his front though. I've wanted to get a SSC for these walks, but also for the short trips cuz the big wrap is too much for those times. But my recent rediscovery of the kikoy has fulfilled much of that need, I had previously only thought of it as a beach or pool cover up. I still want a SSC though because I really do prefer the support of a 2 shoulder carry.

I was given a stroller before birth but never once used it. Finally when DD was 6 months old I took it to a recycle kids stuff store for credit to buy DD new clothes. I did use sometimes leave DD in her bucket seat, but that was only before it warmed up while she was still new.
#18 of 24 Old 10-21-2008, 09:19 PM

I wear Dd everywhere outside of the house. We own a stroller that has only been used once. We switched her to a convertible carseat a while ago so that isn't an option. Occasionally, DH will get the bucket out of the trunk and we will transfer her into it so that she can sit with us in a booth in a restaurant.

She rides in a pouch or sling for most short trips and while shopping and Beco Butterfly for long outings. I have no problem transferring DD into a ring sling or pouch while she is sleeping. In fact I sometimes where her ine the sling so that she will settle down and sleep when she's tired. She settles right in and goes back to sleep. she sleeps in a sling in during religious services, doctor's visits, apple-picking and everywhere else. I find it much easier to calm her when I am wearing her.

''''

#19 of 24 Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 PM

We have a convertable carseat, so I have to wear DS no matter where we go. He's old enough now that he's most likely awake anyway so I just pop him in a sling if its a quick run. If it's going to be longer, then I usually bring a wrap and put him on my back.
#20 of 24 Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
She settles right in and goes back to sleep. she sleeps in a sling in during religious services, doctor's visits, apple-picking and everywhere else. I find it much easier to calm her when I am wearing her.
Ya know, that's it for us too. The wrap or sling is where she is used to falling/being asleep. So it works really well to transfer her into a carrier when she is asleep in the car. She's used to it and really prefers sleeping while being worn.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#21 of 24 Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM

we don't use the bucket anymore, so there's no choice in getting her out of the seat if we're running in someplace. but she always goes back to sleep once she's comfy in the carrier.

restaurants... i always babywear, usually a ring sling so i can nurse discreetly and hands-free at the table. when baby was too little to sit up in my lap, she stayed in the sling. now that she's able to sit up better, she sits on my lap (or soon will be able to sit at the high chair).
#22 of 24 Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM

We've started being more comfortable with the sling and started wearing her more often. Now that it's easy to get her in and out (because she doesn't freak out about it anymore, thank goodness) I wear her most of the day. I prefer to wear her in the pouch sling because I can breastfeed in that and it's a good quick toss on to go into stores and things when we're driving. For longer walking trips, I like the wrap. Now that it's getting colder, I'm probably going to be wrapping more since I can wear one of dh's coats over both of us and also carry the backpack more easily.

(I wish I could figure out a wrap that'd let me breastfeed without taking her out and would let her look around. Hmm, maybe I should post a thread?)
#23 of 24 Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM

new to the constant baby wearing, my DD was a stroller facing out kinda girlie, but my 5 month old little man spends all day in the sling.
I only use my stroller now if I am going to be in the mall or someplace for a long time where I want to carry the entire diaper bag and might have other bags to carry. regardless of if I have it he ends up in the sling anyways. I put it on in the morning like any other piece of clothing.

sleeping baby for 5 minute trip, I would just carry the carrier even though it weighs a ton just because getting the stroller out is a big hassle too.

:Retro Mommy to Viv 5/14/04 and my little Bam-Bam Hank 5/16/08 and wife to my electric and electrician hubby Justin: Proud Vegetarian Homeschooling Hippie Freaks!::
#24 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 PM

I stopped using an infant bucket type seat when my kids were little because it was too big for me to maneuver. So I used a sling/MT all.the.time after my kids hit about 15 pounds.

Before that - I would leave them in the carseat if they were asleep if it was quick, sling them if it was going to be longer.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page