Eeek! I hate the Ergo... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first, I was addicted to the Ultimate Baby wrap. Of course, everyone who I recommended it to (or saw me put it on) complained about the "extensive" routine to put it on. No matter to me... I loved it. Perfect. Comfy, easy, baby LOVED being "snug" with legs and arms and head support, no pressure anywhere on me... ds1 lived in it until he was about a year and a half.

For ds2, my sister gave me her Ergo (which she LOVED). I see so many people wearing them, so many good reviews, the thing is so expensive, I figured it must be baby-wearing gold.

I hate it. Hate, hate, hate.

Back to the Ultimate Baby Wrap! I'll send the Ergo back to sis when she has baby #2. I feel kinda lousy (she was so excited to give it to me) but I just can't dig it. I'm a wrapper .

Is there any chance I might like it when ds2 gets older ?
#2 of 26 Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM

I have older kiddo's and I too hate it. I also hate the babyhawk that most people love. The babyhalk digs into my "mommy rolls" and makes a lot of strain on my body. I think that if you are comfortable wrapping (many people love to!) then keep wrapping! Have you been to thebabywearer.com they have a wrapping section that you can get more love for wrapping there.

I'm a Chunei lady. I love Mothering Tao's Lotus chunei- but they aren't avalible for sale yet. I was a tester and LOVE it!

Keep what works for you, but don't be afriad to try something differnt as baby gets older~ you never know!!!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#3 of 26 Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM

I didn't like the Ergo at all until DS was a year old. Now that he wants to walk some and be carried some and back again, it's SO much easier to have buckles! I still have my wrap and my meitai, but I WANT an Ergo too.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#4 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 AM

How old is your baby? I am a diehard Ergo fan, but not so much for a little baby -- but when they hit about 6 months and can sit in a straddle position, I am all about the Ergo for back carries!

You might want to give it time and try it again. Nothing wrong if you still hate it, but different carriers are good for different ages and stages IME.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM

I hated the ergo. Especially on the back...

LOVE my kozy though.

-Angela
#6 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM

There's a good chance you might like it when DS is older.

I find it great for back carries.

and
#7 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 AM

well you'll need something more supportive once they get older. I recommend a good woven wrap, like a storchenwiege.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#8 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post
I have older kiddo's and I too hate it. I also hate the babyhawk that most people love. The babyhalk digs into my "mommy rolls" and makes a lot of strain on my body. I think that if you are comfortable wrapping (many people love to!) then keep wrapping! Have you been to thebabywearer.com they have a wrapping section that you can get more love for wrapping there.

I'm a Chunei lady. I love Mothering Tao's Lotus chunei- but they aren't avalible for sale yet. I was a tester and LOVE it!

Keep what works for you, but don't be afriad to try something differnt as baby gets older~ you never know!!!
I was thinking the EXACT same thing about the BH today!!! And I was feeling guilty because my babyhawk is so so so beautiful, but it gives me the muffin top (and middle) big time. I just don't think I'm a MT lady, but I do love the Ergo. Those MT straps might just be too narrow . . . once they are cinched tight enough I look rather blubbery . . .
#9 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You didn't mention why you hate the ergo -- that might help determine if there is any chance you'll like it later.

I can't really imagine using it much on a little baby...... but I had an ergo when my dd was 2+, and I loved it. I think its a great toddler carrier.
#10 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 AM

personally my all time fave is www.sunshinebabyslings.com
the most comfy!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#11 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
How old is your baby? I am a diehard Ergo fan, but not so much for a little baby -- but when they hit about 6 months and can sit in a straddle position, I am all about the Ergo for back carries!

You might want to give it time and try it again. Nothing wrong if you still hate it, but different carriers are good for different ages and stages IME.
:

SSC's are not, IMO, great for little babies. but awesome for older babies and toddlers.

you must have had a petite little bub to be able to use a wrap that stretchy at 18 months! mine have all been too heavy for a stretchy wrap by the time they're like 2 months old
#12 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM

How old is this Ergo? Does the hood have snaps or velcro? Is the hood adjustable? Is the sternum strap fixed, or does it slide? Newer models are supposed to be a lot more comfortable.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#13 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
:

SSC's are not, IMO, great for little babies. but awesome for older babies and toddlers.

you must have had a petite little bub to be able to use a wrap that stretchy at 18 months! mine have all been too heavy for a stretchy wrap by the time they're like 2 months old
what does the acronym SSC stand for?
#14 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
what does the acronym SSC stand for?
Soft Structured Carrier I think...

Personally I hated the ergo b/c it felt like dd was hanging off of me. I could never get her as close or comfy as she was in a MT. She was a toddler at that point.

-Angela
#15 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM

yes, SSC = soft structured carrier.

wanted to add, i've never actually owned an Ergo, so that might make a difference. but i've owned many other SSC's, and also made some, and love them with older/heavier babies and toddlers. and my babies get heavy fast, DD2 is 6 months and probably about 20 pounds.
#16 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 PM

I don't like my Ergo either. I'm hoping that when my ds is older he will like it.
#17 of 26 Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 PM

I didn't like it either...for an infant or toddler. So bulky...what do you do with it when your lo prefers to walk? Love my Mei Tai for toddler front and back carry...soft, easy to use and easily packs away in a backpack or ties around the waist when not using.
#18 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 AM

Not a ergo lover either.

I loved the UBW,and the newer soilds of the moby are a bit more structured than UBW. If your a wrapper go for a woven.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#19 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 AM

I didn't like it at first, either. For me, with a young baby in a front carry, it just didn't work for my big newborn DSs and my 36Gs--not enough room in there for the three of them! I'm a pouch sling girl, myself--loved my New Native OC sling. But when my boys got to be about 8 mos, I loved the Ergo for the back carry. DH still uses it everyday with our 30+ pound 15 month old, and I use it occasionally as well.
#20 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 AM

I think a lot of it depends on how you and the baby are built.
#21 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM

If you like your stretchy wrap, you will love, love, love a woven wrap! I have a Storch and it is great. Most wrappers recommend to just pick a color of wrap you like and go with it. You might check out the wrappers forum on the babywearer as well; they have a new carry of the week every week so you can learn some new moves with your wrap to dazzle and amaze those onlookers!
#22 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

I hate the ergo because the straps did not seem to fit snugly, no matter what I did, I really had a hard time buckling the straps behind me, and... I found it just overall bulky and confusing with the million buckles and padded things and such.

Will I be able to use it for a back carry without an assist to get ds in there? That was my one complaint about the ubw- that I couldnot do a back carry without a bit of help...
#23 of 26 Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 PM

The Ergo was my favorite carrier for toddlers (I had the old version), but it wasn't great for infants.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#24 of 26 Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 PM

I have the chub on my stomach too that the Ergo & MT's make look awful-----but I like the patapum a lot. I don't think its made in as PC a way as the Ergo, but it is much more flattering on me & very streamlined & comfy for my 2 yr old. For intl. travel, I found it to be perfect.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#25 of 26 Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 PM

I just have to inject a bit of Ergo love into all this. I know it's not for everyone, and nor should it be. I do try to use all carriers but when it comes to hard core babywearing, the Ergo, for me, is the cream that rises to the top. If I could only take on carrier on a trip, the Ergo would be the one. If I had a newborn, I'd still use it (using the infant insert burrito style). I have and can use most other carriers, but the Ergo really is my #1.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#26 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allborntogrow View Post
I was thinking the EXACT same thing about the BH today!!! And I was feeling guilty because my babyhawk is so so so beautiful, but it gives me the muffin top (and middle) big time. I just don't think I'm a MT lady, but I do love the Ergo. Those MT straps might just be too narrow . . . once they are cinched tight enough I look rather blubbery . . .
I have a friend that complains about this on her BabyHawk frequently too... She does love the mei tai that she has with padded waist straps and a slightly less flexible strap fabric.

OP: I haven't ever owned an Ergo - but you like what you like. Find something that you do. You know?

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page