Baby doesn't like the carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been reading about how good it is for babies and children to be carried around in carriers (around the house and on walks ect.) My daughter (almost 5 months) doesn't like the carrier unless I am 'moving', so I have to be out on a walk. I have tried slings, mobys, the ergo and the bjorn and she just doesn't like any of them around the house. This means that she is hanging out doing tummy time while I am getting stuff done. She seems to really enjoy it, but I feel like I am missing something. Any suggestions?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 7 Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If she enjoys it and is safe (some people don't have the option to set the baby down because of pets), sounds like it's working for you. Just continue to talk to her about what you're doing as you go through the day.
#3 of 7 Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 AM

My son did not really like to be in carriers unless it was naptime, then he loved being on me to sleep while I did stuff. When he was awake, he was MUCH happier on the floor with toys or a bouncy or a swing or a saucer while I did stuff. I took to calling him the 'anti-AP poster child'

My daughter? Was practially strapped to me the entire first year of her life. It is amazing to me how different their infanthoods were.

Every kid is different...if she likes to be on the floor and is happy, and you interact with her throughout the time your' doing things and she's 'playing', I see no reason to force her into a situation that makes her unhappy just because it's what an AP baby is "supposed" to like.

I'd no more force a baby to be unhappy in a carrier than I would leave them crying in a crib...honor your baby's temperament and desires; THAT is what AP is about.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 7 Old 11-07-2008, 05:36 PM

If she is happy on the floor - it sounds fine but if you want to wear her more - a few ideas - have you tried a facing out position so she can see the world more or what about a high back carry where she can see over your shoulder. My dd is 4 months and I have to admit that I don't feel comfortable putting her on my back but it could be good for you.

I rarely wear my dd around the house unless she is sleeping - she doesn't like the sling unless she can see or is sleeping. I usually just hold her in my arms or put her on the floor or in her swing. Honestly, there are a lot of things that are easier to do without wearing baby front, back, or otherwise.
#5 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM

My dd likes to be on the move too, so I usually wait until I have several things to do around the house that require motion, then I strap her on and by the time I've done all that (usually laundry, emptying dishwasher, vacuuming) she is asleep and I can wear her while doing quieter things (as long as I keep rocking)

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#6 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Do what makes her happy and try cuddling at others time and take her out for a walk in carriers.
#7 of 7 Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM

I carried 3 children from birth to preschool but never had the type who would stand it if I stopped moving even once.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page