Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...what will they think of next? :

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=533870
#2 of 22 Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ohh, that looks so much better than holding your baby close to your body. Thank goodness there is finally a great way to keep a heavy piece of plastic strapped securely to your body! LOL

Forgive my sarcasm...I am tired!
#3 of 22 Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Wow. That looks SO uncomfortable! But, then we're the crazy ones, right?
#4 of 22 Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 PM

Umm. I can't imagine it would be comfortable for either mom or baby.
#5 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
Wow. That looks SO uncomfortable! But, then we're the crazy ones, right?
Um,yeah!

I think I have seen it all.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#6 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 AM

I saw that a few years ago. Sad, really. & painfree? I seriously doubt that. Maybe in your hands/arms, but I bet your shoulders & back would very quickly be in agony.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#7 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM

There's been a thread on this in LWAB. It got pretty sanctimonious.

I was not shocked & horrified, 'cause we made a similar thing ourselves... if you don't have a car but need to take your carseat somewhere (eg an hour across town, on to a train, on to a bus, on to another bus & finally into a car.. say) along with your baby & your luggage, they are a PAIN to carry. A strap actually makes it way easier. But we didn't put the baby in - that would be a really poor way of distributing weight.
#8 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 PM

I was at a baby show today and they have a booth. It took all my my power to not just shake my head right at them. It's like, "Pick the baby UP! Leave the carseat in the car and move along...". Ugh.

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#9 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 PM

Honestly, as a disabled mom (limited use of my elbows and joint issues through out my body) I don't think it is horrible.

There are times I would use it to carry a sleep deprived little one in as not to wake them. The strain on my elbows from a bucket makes it near impossible for me to carry otherwise.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 PM

PS I live in MN which makes bucket convenient at times in severely cold weather.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#11 of 22 Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 PM

I've never understood the logic behind the handles on infant seats. It makes it seem like they're intended to be carried, but don't actually help with the carrying process in any way.

I think straps like shown in the above link should be included with all infant seats for people who really need to carry the seats around.
#12 of 22 Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM

I never had the option of carrying my babe in a bucket seat, so to me this looks so silly! I had a 2 door car and there was NO way that seat was coming out with DS still in it. You had to flip it upside down to get it out at all. But then, DS wouldn't sleep in the car even as an infant and demanded to be upright and looking around from day 1 so I guess that turned out to be ok.
#13 of 22 Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM

I have heard that at least one mom of twins found one of those useful for getting both of her kids (and the diaper bags/shopping) to/from the house to the car (street parking).

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#14 of 22 Old 11-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There used to be a Fisher Price infant seat which had just a strap like that attached to the seat and no handle. A lady I knew who had one really liked it.

I wish I had something like that for when I pick my daughter up from school (though I don't want it badly enough to spend the money to actually get one...). She's young enough that I go to the door to get her. This year I'm going to be lugging the infant seat along with me since I think baby will stay warmer left in the carseat with blankets undisturbed rather than being taken out and put back in again three minutes later in -30 weather. It's not that long of a walk, but it's awkward to carry the seat around by the handle, especially while holding my son's hand at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I've never understood the logic behind the handles on infant seats. It makes it seem like they're intended to be carried, but don't actually help with the carrying process in any way.
I use the handle. I find it easier than just carrying the seat even with two hands, and it's the only way to carry it with one hand if you need the other for holding onto another child or carrying something else.

Still awkward though. I generally avoid doing it by a combination of travel system and babywearing (often at the same time - a travel system can be useful for carrying a little shopping basket around the store while wearing a baby), but sometimes (like with the school pickups) it just works the best.
#15 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
I use the handle. I find it easier than just carrying the seat even with two hands, and it's the only way to carry it with one hand if you need the other for holding onto another child or carrying something else.
Right, it's better than no handle for carrying, but they really are not designed for carrying the seat and baby more than like 100ft. I've only actually carried a seat like that twice. The first time, I was bruised along my thighs (trying to carry it in one hand) and abdomen (attempting to carry it in two hands) for months. The second time the seat was a model with a triangular portion in the center so you could hold it with your palm facing your leg instead of facing back--that was better, but still required holding my arm out from my body to try (and fail) to keep the seat from whacking me. ETA: My observations of other people carrying those seats is that they drag out the big travel system if they've got to go any distance at all, and it's not just me who gets thwacked when carrying the seat.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have handles, I'm saying that if they're going to have handles, they should have ones that actually work to let you carry the seat. Wouldn't convince me to buy one of the painful things (-30 degree weather would), but it'd be nicer for the people who need to use them.
#16 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 AM

I have fibro, and all those things just are sooo uncomfortable to me. Ouchie, ouchie, ouchie. Bruises all over my thighs and hips and arms from carrying them the few times I did, and the strap looks like it would just add bruises to my abdomen.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#17 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Um... no words except maybe what will they think of next :

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#18 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Oh my.
#19 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had something similar when DS was an infant, only in our case the carseat itself had a strap like that.

I didn't use it in place of carrying him directly in my arms or a carrier. I used it in place of lugging the bucket in my hands on the rare occasions when I moved him in the seat without waking him- going into the school building to pick up an older sibling, or any other errand where I'd be out of the car for only a few minutes and then back in again, and it would have disturbed him to transfer him in and out of the seat (and upset his nap).

For longer trips, I'd transfer him into the sling even if he might wake up, as I'd have time to nurse him back to sleep. But if the trip was only a few minutes, I might wake him then not get him settled again before it was time to go back to the car.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#20 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM

I did this for a discussion about these things a while back: http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...paq/bukkit.jpg
#21 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
There used to be a Fisher Price infant seat which had just a strap like that attached to the seat and no handle. A lady I knew who had one really liked it.

I had that seat for my 2nd baby and it was super cool. I wish they still made it, actually.

That was before I was so into babywearing though and obviously a good sling or carrier would be more comfy.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#22 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I did this for a discussion about these things a while back: http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...paq/bukkit.jpg
for lol walruses.
I just realized that the strap doesn't even get the seat up high enough to clear the legs for walking. Fancy strap thing and you'd still have to hold the seat out from you or get thwacked on every step.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page