Motrin bashes baby wearing - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz View Post
Being condescending will help them sell product? Ok, whatever. My boobs weigh more than any baby I wore, and I have my boobs on me 24/7! Where is their condescending ad about that??
: I hear ya, sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 AM

From Motrin's reply, I think they do get why it was offensive. I could be wrong but from how I read the reply, I DO think they get it. They were trying to convey that their product is for parents who gets aches and pains. They just didn't convey it in the best way (at all).

Now if the ad had three children running through the house screaming their heads off? That ad would make sense to me (esp after the day I had, lol!).

Good on Motrin for their reply, I think.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Gee, as usual they seem to forget that carrying your child on your back or your hip is the norm in many if not most cultures around the world and that obviously, while there are better carrier choices than having your child strapped to your chest for hours at a time, if moms and caretakers have been carrying their children on their backs or hips for generations so they can cook and clean and farm then obviously it isn't that painful or else the practice would of died out thousands of years ago.

oi vey...I am so tired of these western commercial takes on such a standard parenting practice!
I doubt I'd see any similar ads in South Korea or Japan which are equally as industrialized but using a back carrier or a sling is the norm.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
Gee, as usual they seem to forget that carrying your child on your back or your hip is the norm in many if not most cultures around the world and that obviously, while there are better carrier choices than having your child strapped to your chest for hours at a time, if moms and caretakers have been carrying their children on their backs or hips for generations so they can cook and clean and farm then obviously it isn't that painful or else the practice would of died out thousands of years ago.
I think alot more goes into babywearing as a global practice. For instance, How many of these places where babywearing has always been and continues to be the norm are also places where a stroller would be seen as an expensive luxury? Or, in places where strollers can be readily available (I'm thinking Japan on this one) whose to say that it's not more of a practicality thing to babywear? At least in cities like Tokyo where it is very population dense...I know a mom in NYC who says babywearing is pretty much a must if you want to be able to take baby around the city (especially on subways etc.).

I'm not saying I know the answers to any of these questions...just some thoughts off the top of my head. Things are usually much more complicated and nuanced than we usually think at first glance :
Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 PM

The only pain I have when wearing Bryson (didn't wear my other 2) is when strangers run up and try pulling back the fabric to "see the baby!":

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
My boobs weigh more than any baby I wore, and I have my boobs on me 24/7! Where is their condescending ad about that??

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The problem is, Motrin happened to mess up at the expense, and in the face of, one of the most vocal, quickest-to-blog, “strongest-to-band-together-and-form-one-opinion-like-the-Borg” collectives out there - The Mommy-Blogging community.
Resistance is Futile!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM

Wow that was fast. I wonder if they'll use my suggestion about hauling a diaper bag around sometime.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Being condescending will help them sell product? Ok, whatever. My boobs weigh more than any baby I wore, and I have my boobs on me 24/7! Where is their condescending ad about that??
someone created a youtube video about fake boobs, its HILARIOUS and done in the exact same way as the babywearing ad.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Holy crap!!!!!

I had not seen this ad, only heard of it, so I went youtubeing. How in the heck did they think that would ever go over? All I can do is laugh at their stupidity.

senior majikfaerie cult member
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the hint about youtube. Yikes. WHAT were they thinking?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I cant find the parody one, can someone post it or pm me?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM

I just read the article about it being pulled.

http://blog.nj.com/parentalguidance/...hat_weari.html

How horrible, I do not understand how this idea was even put into production as a commercial. What were they thinking!

i am glad it was pulled.:
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM

I found the parody.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Well, I carry 35-pound DS on my back in an Ergo and yes, after an hour or so my back does hurt and I do need some ibuprofen; this has been the case since he hit 30 pounds. Most Motrin campaigns, it seems to me, talk about "everyday" aches and pains from normal daily life. So it's good IMO that they are treating baby-wearing as normal daily life.
haven't read the whole thread but I agree with this poster.

I don't see it as a slag on babywearing...although, it might have been more balanced if they had a mom lugging a kid in a bucket. I think if it had had just a kid in a bucket though, people would be annoyed that it makes it seem like ALL moms carry their kids in buckets all day. I like that babywearing is seen as mainstream now.

And I'm really having a hard time believing that your back feels totally fine after babywearing all the time. Ergonomic or not, carrying a heavy kid on my back, hip or otherwise can cause me to be out of whack over time. Its a part of motherhood, but just like being pregnant, it can be hard on the body sometimes.

I just don't see this as a slag on babywearing at all. I see it as a positive that its considered part of the status quote now and an everyday thing for moms to do.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
I just don't see this as a slag on babywearing at all. I see it as a positive that its considered part of the status quote now and an everyday thing for moms to do.
Did you see the ad? The tone was definitely flippant and condescending to women who babywear- especially by suggesting that it is only so popular now because it makes us look like "official moms".

No one is suggesting that babywearing doesn't hurt sometimes or that there aren't other mothering activites that hurt. Most are just upset by the tone and angle that Motrin chose to use.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I would have loved to see is a montage of moms, some slinging, some carrying buckets, moms giving piggyback rides, moms holding babies on their hips, moms carrying laundry baskets and toys and two siblings at once-- and then have them peddle motrin.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Hmm..last night I forgot my Ergo, and stood holding my big 6 month old little one for about an hour. Talk about hard on the back! If the options are carrying him around in a baby bucket at his weight, wearing him, or holding him without a sling or carrier, I'll take babywearing every time. Much easier on the back than the other options!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 PM

That's a good point, athansor, and I think it echoes what Annette was saying. It's not that babywearing is always and completely pain or discomfort free, but that compared with the other options when one has a small child, it's not bad. The way the ad made it sound was that the woman was in pain because of babywesaring, and if she hadn't bewen wearing, she wouldn't have been in pain. That's (part of) what makes the ad so messed up, why it came across so negative toward babywearing, and why there was such a reaction to get it taken down.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:16 AM

looks like they removed the ad from online.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I am not saying you shouldnt carry your baby in a carrier, but it seems to me that they do cause a huge strain on your body. (And if Motrin was doing this just to make money, you'd think they would be advocating babywearing.)

Do they not cause back problems? Biologically I don't see how it wouldn't cause issues.

It strikes me as odd that motrin even has a position on this topic.

My carriers hurt my back like heck though! Maybe its just me.

Maybe it does for alot of people. My Maya sling just about kills me when I wear it. I thought maybe I've been wearing it wrong, but I wear it exactly like it says to in the insructional video and still I end up having to take it off after about an hour or so of striaght wearing it. At the end of a whole day wearing it, it makes me want to take a whole bottle of pain killers.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
looks like they removed the ad from online.
Yeah!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I am not saying you shouldnt carry your baby in a carrier, but it seems to me that they do cause a huge strain on your body. (And if Motrin was doing this just to make money, you'd think they would be advocating babywearing.)

Do they not cause back problems? Biologically I don't see how it wouldn't cause issues.

It strikes me as odd that motrin even has a position on this topic.

My carriers hurt my back like heck though! Maybe its just me.
I know I am jumping in late here but no...I never felt strain not even double pouching my twins. I used a baby bjorn with my first and pouches with the rest. The pouches were the most comfortable things to me and so helpful with my twins.

I am really confused why Motrin even said that in an ad. What an absurd thing to say. What about those baby buckets. They are hard to carry and hurt your arm AND your back when you do.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Did you guys see this response? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqpAGLS2t4

:
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM

I just got an e-mail from Motrin saying they are ending the ad campaign!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM

wouldn't it be in Motrin's best interest to ENCOURAGE something that is (supposedly) painful? I don't understand at all. Why slam babywearing? why not encourage it and push their stinkin' product? Are they and the stroller makers in bed with each other?

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layna View Post

Did you guys see this response? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqpAGLS2t4

:
OOH this is GOOD!!

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post
wouldn't it be in Motrin's best interest to ENCOURAGE something that is (supposedly) painful? I don't understand at all. Why slam babywearing? why not encourage it and push their stinkin' product? Are they and the stroller makers in bed with each other?
I don't think they thought they were slamming it.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I don't think they thought they were slamming it.
I disagree. I think they slammed it because they wanted to appeal to moms who DON'T babywear. Most mothers still don't babywear and think it's weird, and by saying "we think it's a trend" and "we're here so these poor moms who are silly enough to do this for however long this trend lasts" they let non-babywearing moms and go back to whatever they were doing, thinking "Motrin is all about moms."

They would NEVER put out ANYTHING about those bucket seats because the condescending tone of the ad would be seen as anti-mom. They chose babywearing because it's still NOT mainstream.

IMO, of course.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you all seen the latest letter from Motrin?
http://www.motrin.com/

There's also an interesting blog entry here that discusses it from a marketing perspective.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List