Mothering Forum banner

Maya Wrap Sling

7K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  living_organic 
#1 ·
Product name: Maya Wrap Sling

Brief description of product: an adjustable ring-sling to carry newborns to 3 years old

Store/Site of purchase: Peapods , an online & brick-and-mortar store in St. Paul, MN

Price: $44.95

How long have you used this product? going on 3 years with second baby

Fit/Sizing: wonderful! adjustable so that I or dh (or a friend!) can get a perfect fit, comfy for baby and babywearer. I am 5' 7", my size MEDIUM has a generous 'tail' of fabric after I put it on. This tail can be used to shelter baby in the cradle hold, offer privacy while breastfeeding, or as a handy towel/burp rag!

The Maya Wrap Sling allows the wearer to adjust each 'rail' of the sling independent of each other; this makes baby's fit in the sling ultra-secure and customized.

A baby can assume any number of positions in this sling, including a cradle hold, the kangaroo carry (approx. 4 months and up, legs crossed in front and facing forward), sitting on wearer's hip, facing towards wearer, and even on wearer's back, approx. 8 months and up.

Performance: versitle, great for discreet breastfeeding (sometimes hands free breastfeeding.)
With an older, heavier baby, wearer's shoulder will get fatigued after prolonged wear. This sling is a mostly hands-free sling. The Maya Wrap Sling has a steep learning curve; it takes time to get used to using this sling but once you do--it's so great!

Workmomship: well-made, heavy-duty construction

Customer Service/Communication: Since I purchased my sling from a store, I had the advantage of a live person showing me how to hold my baby in the sling. There are online videos at mayawrap.com, too.

Would you purchase this product again? yes, or a similar sling style made by a WAHM (if I wanted a fabric style other than the crunchy Guatamalan styles Maya offers.)

Additional Comments: If a mama can buy just one sling in her baby's lifetime, I think the Maya Wrap Sling is the one to choose, for price, quality, versatility, and comfort.

The sling can be swapped from shoulder to shoulder. It is possible to have baby asleep in the sling, and then gently lower baby into a carseat/onto a bed, and then wearer can sneak out of the sling.

It is nice to have baby facing out in the sling, then cuddle down a bit for a nurse, fall asleep and un-latch from the breast, all while staying in the sling, without mama having to do any fooling around--taking baby out of sling or taking off sling--all while walking through a museum or grocery store!

Washing the sling gave me grief, at first. The brightly, red and orage colors bled like crazy when wet in the wash and were crocking; that is, rubbing off onto dd's clothing while she was in the sling. The solution is to wash the sling solo a few times, in warm water to get the extra dye out of there. I have no problems with washing my sling in warm water w/ regular detergent and drying warm in the dryer. The metal rings clang around loudly; I try to wrap a dishtowel around the rings to minimize the banging in the dryer (and of course, line-drying eliminates this problem.)

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): five thumbs

See less See more
#2 ·

Brief description of product: Guatamalan cotton sling with metal rings and pocket in tail

Store/Site of purchase: bought through local distributor

Price: I think it was $44-49 and she included the video, too.

How long have you used this product? 21 months

Fit/Sizing: Medium

Performance: excellent, never had any troubles. I can do all the carrying styles demonstrated to me with no difficulties

Workmomship: excellent, no fraying, tearing, or colour bleeding (note: I washed them first time in vinegar to set the colours, as per the instructions I was given by the distributor)

Customer Service/Communication: really top-notch since she lived close by and I was able to see all the fabrics IRL, try on different sizes, etc.

Would you purchase this product again? absolutely, and I did. I have two of these slings

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof: NO

Additional Comments: the only trouble I have is that my tail tends to get twisted. It's not too hard to rethread it and straighten it out, but it does bother me sometimes. I think it's just that the fabric is relatively thin compared to other slings. Or maybe it's just me!

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): FIVE

#3 ·
Product name:Maya Wrap

Brief description of product:See above

Store/Site of purchase:Mayawrap.com

Price:40something (can't remember)

How long have you used this product? Around 10 months

Fit/Sizing: Tail is too long since I don't use it to bf, but it fits dh and wouldn't have if I had the smaller size.

Performance: Over all great. I agree with the other reviews. It does take a while to learn. There is always a little slippage so I have to keep pulling the tail (which is too long now that I know that using it as a cover up isn't something I want to do). When switching it between two different sized users it seems to get all twisted up the wrong way.

Workmomship: Great

Customer Service/Communication: No problems.

Would you purchase this product again? I might have bought a non-ring sling instead. But I do like the Maya Wrap.

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? No.
Additional Comments:
I have been very happy with my Mayawrap for all of the reasons mentioned above. I get compliments from all types of people from hippies to hoity toities to skater kids. My husband loves to wear it (although it did take him a long time to learn).

I give it

#4 ·
Product name: maya wrap sling

Brief description of product: cotton, open tail ring sling

Store/Site of purchase: received as gift

Price: $40ish

How long have you used this product? 2 months

Fit/Sizing: each size is ighly adjustable & overlaps to fit more than one person.

Performance: i seem to be a lone voice; i don't get along with my mw. despite weeks of constant practice, repeatedly watching the instructional dvd & help from mamas in the babywearing forum i still had shoulder pain or lower back pain & problems adjusting bella in it comfortably. whether this is actually the product's fault or some curious ineptitude on my part, though, i'm not sure.

Workmomship: great, the fabric is sturdy & didn't bleed

Customer Service/Communication: the sling arrived in good time

Would you purchase this product again? no

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof: no

Additional Comments: none

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?):

#5 ·
Product name: Maya Wrap

Brief description of product: Adjustable non-padded ring sling

Store/Site of purchase: Ultimate Baby Boutique

Price: $45 or so

How long have you used this product? 4 months

Fit/Sizing: Really great

Performance: Great...I love it, although it gets twisted easily and can be frusterating to adjust if you're in a hurry. But, you can get so many positions and my baby absolutely LOVES it

Workmomship: great

Customer Service/Communication: n/a

Would you purchase this product again? absolutely

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof no

Additional Comments: I love the matching pouch too...I miss the pouch when I use my other slings

:
:
:
:
:

#6 ·
Product name: Maya Wrap

Brief description of product: basic unpadded ring sling, with accordian-folded shoulder and beautiful woven Guatamalan fabrics

Store/Site of purchase: local distributor (found on www.mayawrap.com and great for figuring out I actually wanted it!)

Price: $40-ish

How long have you used this product? 21 months

Fit/Sizing: The medium has quite a long tail on me, but is so versatile! I am able to use it for everything---great for a car sun-shade when he was rear-facing. I think that I would buy a small if I had to do it over, though.

Performance: DS and I lived in this sling until he was about 20 lbs. It was the first unpadded ring sling I tried and I was completely amazed. Especially easy for a beginning babywearer. The shoulder became a bit uncomfortable once ds was heavy, though I do have back problems and know that many moms use these well into toddlerhood.

Workmomship: After about a year of continuous use, the sling developed a hole at the shoulder pleat stitching. I was a bit disappointed, though we really used it, so I suppose it was to be expected.

Would you purchase this product again? yes!

Additional Comments: Good all-over sling, great staple to build a collection upon.

#7 ·

Brief description of product: Unpadded ring sling

Store/Site of purchase: NurtureMama.com

Price: Received as gift

How long have you used this product? 4 weeks

Fit/Sizing: Medium

Performance: I still have not figured this thing out, even though I have gone to all the "troubleshooting" websites. My DS starts out high and then the fabric always sinks own to my waste, and I never feel that he is secure in it so I never dare go without one hand on it. My husband tried it once and never used it again. I'm very disappointed that I can't figure it out.

Workmomship: Great

Customer Service/Communication: N/A

Would you purchase this product again? No.

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof. N/A

Additional Comments: We both prefer the Dr. Sears Nojo sling, even though it hasn't received very good reviews.

#8 ·
Product name: Maya Wrap ring sling

Brief description of product: ring sling

Store/Site of purchase: Lent to me by a friend

Price: I think they run ~$50

How long have you used this product? Over a year

Fit/Sizing: Medium, fits very well

Performance: Outstanding

Workmomship: Outstanding

Would you purchase this product again? Without a doubt

Additional Comments: This took me a while to get the hang of(threading it correctly, positioning baby in, and adjusting it right), but it was well worth the slight effort. My daughter and I have been using it for over a year now and I LOVE IT!!!

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): 5!

#9 ·
Product name:Maya Wrap Ring Sling

Brief description of product: Med Cotton ring sling

Store/Site of purchase: MDC Trading Post

Price: $20

How long have you used this product? 4 months ( till it recently got either stolen out of my car or lost)

Fit/Sizing: Wonderful!!!! I am a size 24/26 and dh is very tall and thin and this fits both of us fine.

Performance
think it is great! I could only do one position well at first, but I kept practising and found it got much easier after I learned to unthread it after each use. It worked better for me that way.

Workmomship: wonderful!

Customer Service/Communication: N/A except the MDC'er I bought it from was great!

Would you purchase this product again? I plan on it...that's how I happened on this thread.

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof

Additional Comments: If you buy this and have trouble with it just keep trying different ways of putting it on and make sure baby is in a good mood before practicing. If your ack begins to hurt...spread out the fabric more.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.